Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL Sessions LP and Discussions with JBL

JBL Sessions LP and Discussions with JBL

I have emailed JBL asking if their copyright was still in force on the Sessions 2 LP set with Hoyt Axton circa 1973 that I purchased on ebay.

I know copyrights must be renewed ever so often and if not renewed then they are considered public domain and, I am not sure here. My discussions and reply's from them will be posted in this thread.I hope to think a demand for this on cd is the concensus here. I even offered them the original albums to put it on cd and sell if they want to. What do you guys think? Is there a demand for this on cd? Please let me know your thoughts.

This paragraph is my first respondence to them

This is a legal question. I purcahsed JBL Sessions LP a 2 album set on
    > ebay called"JBL Studio Test W/Hoyt Axton 1973.My question is do you
    > still have a valid copyright on this? I am asking because I want to put
    > these 2 albums on cd and offer it to members of Lansing Heritage. I do
    > not want to do this if there are legal ramifications. I do know
    > copyrights must be renewed and I am not sure on this. Please let me know
    > as I don't want to break the law and I do respect copyrighted
    > material.Thankyou for your time and I do await your reply.

This is the reply from JBL

Good afternoon and thank you for your inquiry. Frankly, I'm not sure
    what the legal ramifications of this are. I suspect that it might depend
    on whether your intention is to sell these for a profit. Can you be more
    specific about what you had in mind?

PS: We're very appreciative of the enthusiasm and support offered by the
    folks at Lansing Heritage. Is there something we can do to help with the
    project? Perhaps we could duplicate and distribute the disks (no charge)
    if someone supplied a master disk and a list of members who should
    receive them.

Best Regards,
    Vu Le
    Internet Support Specia

This is my last reply

My intent was to have a member record the albums to cd and I was going to offer the cd's to members who would make a donation to LHS. I would not profit from this.I could send you the albums and you could make it to cd. The Sessions Albums are in much demand as we don't believe it has ever been issued on cd.I won the albums on ebay and could submit them to you for this project. I would let you keep the originals just to have one on cd with your blessing. In return you could possibly offer this to the public for a fee since there is quite a demand for it on cd.I don't have the original Albums yet but they should arrive this week. This is the JBL Sessions LP (2) Album Set With Hoyt Axton 1973.I will start a thread on LHS on this matter to see what the current concensus is and if I am to go by the past remarks on this subject than the demand is much more today. Please let me know your thoughts in this matter. Thankyou. James Cichocki nickname on LHS is kingjames

I've already made a contribution this year - but I'd make another contribution to get a legit copy of the CD.

What do you think, say, a $25 contribution to Lansing Heritage if we are interested in a copy of the CD version of the record?

Anyone got that first album?

(Thanks for tracking all this down, KingJames!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks HJ, it would be good for JBL as well as I'm sure they don't have original stuff like that anymore and it is a part of their history and something though small they just might want to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I know copyrights must be renewed ever so often and if not renewed then they are considered public domain and, I am not sure here.
    75 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    75 years....
    Are you sayng there is a 75 year copyright on this material or are you generalizing?I have heard (rumor) that alot of the Oldies song era 50's,60's and some 70's are no longer copyrighted. I don't know if this is the case but heard it more than a few times from more than a few people.

I am not a lawyer but this interest's me. I wasn't sure of the legal aspect's here and this is why I contacted JBL.

Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I actually have, I think, 3 copies of this LP set. Let me know if this album is needed.

Bart

Thanks,Edgewound for the article very educating and kind of blows the hell out of my theory's. Rather have the truth upfront,though. Maybe JBL can make this happen,I don't know. Took a shot that's all! Jim

You're welcome, Jim.

It looks like by the response you received that they are willing to dupe and distribute it.

They like us lots.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    You're welcome, Jim.

It looks like by the response you received that they are willing to dupe and distribute it.

They like us lots.
    I think with the earthquake and all they lost a lot of material and maybe don't have this available any longer. If they did I'm sure they would have distributed it already on cd if for no other reason than to just keep up with the times.It don't hurt to ask.

RIP 2009
    I'd rather find out about getting a copy of that new JBL demo CD that was pictured in one of the threads, I think about a demo someone went to of the Array systems when they first came out, ('can't find it now...).

John

Oh - this one?

Eargle on Everest! Yeah - I'd pay for a copy of that!!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/a...1&d=1163801996
    (Thanks Heinz!)

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I'd rather find out about getting a copy of that new JBL demo CD that was pictured in one of the threads, I think about a demo someone went to of the Array systems when they first came out, ('can't find it now...).

John
    I did google it but while there ARE some Eargle CDs on the Delos International webpage - this one is not -

http://www.delosmus.com/genre/demo.html
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I have heard (rumor) that alot of the Oldies song era 50's,60's and some 70's are no longer copyrighted. I don't know if this is the case but heard it more than a few times from more than a few people.
    People who'd like to steal stuff will make up a rationale for doing so with impunity.

I have a rationale for all of Middle-Eastern oil belonging to me. Nobody's buyin' it, tho.

[Perhaps I should publish the rationale so at least IT will be Copyright ©Zilch 2007.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    John

Absolutely!!!!

I've got the Sessions disks (from back when I was selling JBL while in college) and while they're amusing for a couple of plays, Eargle's musical experience with Delos Records, and his audio engineering and demonstration expertise virtually guarantee that the demo disk would be worthwhile.

Where can I buy one?????

You can go to delosmus.com, and search for Eargle. You won't find that exact disc, but there are a couple of discs available, and some of the selections seem to be the same ones on the JBL demo disc.

Thread Information