Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Crown K Series amp opinions?

Scotty,

Its not likely but a large DC offset would explain it!

The amps may also be heating up in the rack or your mains sags under load.

You guys have 120 volts , thats twice the current drawn from our 240volts. If you have other heavy appliances or systems on those phases somethingmight be getting quite warm after a while hence the dynamic sack under transients. Whereas the old iron core and big caps hold the charge in the short term. Just a hypothesis .....

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vincenzo View Post
    i blew 4 - 18's from unstable power or subsonic freq.....so i heard that unlike the macro tech these 2 amps will put out freq below and above 20-20000. I agree they sound a lil harsh like a CD as opposed to a mp3 but i own 3 and i think they are the BEST amp for the money on the market...they go for 500 on ebay and are ussually in pretty good shape from being in studios.

crown techs told me there about to release a new amp to replace this one...should be very soon.
    Heck, I have been running DC300A,s FOREVER, and those old grampa,s will pass everything from DC to 20K. Never DCeed a woofer on one yet. No filitering, no protection, and it worked since 1976. Even had DC300,s go down during the show, uneventful, and just the amp crapped out, no fireworks, no loads ro recone, etc!
    scottyj

I just did my own little amp shoot out, the Crown CE4000 -vs- the Macro Tech 3600VZ

From 1200wpc to 1600wpc, there should be a negligible increrase in audible output, as according to Hoyle, one must double the power to hear a difference in level.

The 3600 is most definitely a stronger sounding amp, no if, no ands no buts.

Lots of keyboard bassline sound from the CE4000, but the 3600 wants to THUMP HARD! More solid sounding bottom end, IMHO. 3600 had the building rattling. Now I want to try the appropriate I Tech, against the 3600 and see what happens!

I dunno!
    scottyj

Well, 5 days till my buds amp from his company, headed by Summit Audio, arrives for demo. These amps are made the traditional way, big ps, lots of output devices in class AB, and even mosfet.

Im gonna wait till I hear this thing. He sold a few to some studio cats that flipped for em.

Many power points, all built to work all week long. Power ratings are true RMS ratings, 5hz-100khz, not todays @1khz, or peak burst power!

They look really cool, nice black faceplate, eyebrow LED,s and really quiet fans, I mean QUIET! Even I was surprised at how quiet the fan is with an amp he showed me a few weeks ago.
    scottyj

demanddeepbass
    Scott - I've had repeatable issues with the CA series. If you feed them very low frequency full power sine waves for any length of time over a few seconds they blow up. It takes out some of the 5 watt current sense resistors which quite often take a few of the output transistors down too. If you look at the circuit you can work out that the dissipation in these resistors for the full output case is more like 25watts. Crest have just assumed that no one would ever use the amp at 100% duty cycle and skimped a bit on resistor power ratings.
    I've done this to my own CA6 and CA9 I've also seen in other peoples CA4s and CA9s. I no longer use them for LF. To my ears they are pretty sweet sounding on mids and highs but they get pounded by a macrotech for LF (I have 601 and 1201 for comparison)
    Pitty about the K2s; I was going to get one for my home theater rig

Olly

Yeah baby, I had more than my share of crests blow up on me. Remember in the 90,s they blew up on turn on? White smoke before you even pounded them, insides looked like it had been bombed out.

Crown today? I dont know about them, this time I want to try something made for us, made for audio, not pricepoints, weight, or size, and how much power they can cram into an undersized chassis, I wait for Thrive Audio!
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Yeah baby, I had more than my share of crests blow up on me. Remember in the 90,s they blew up on turn on? White smoke before you even pounded them, insides looked like it had been bombed out.
    And here I thought they were just part of the pyrotechnics display!

Bad run of capacitors they said it was, when you opened the amp, it was alllll blown up. Emitter resistors, everything. A mess.

All you had to do was turn the amp on, it did the rest for you! :dont-know
    scottyj

Let me add my vote for the Crown MA3600vz, I use them on the low end in my system with great results. I have them loaded with the EDCb PIP cards. That card gives you a selectable high pass filter and an output voltage and error driven limiter that has adjustable threshold, attack and release times. The rest of the amps are QSC Power Light Series 2 models, 14 of them.

Mike Caldwell

For low end out of Widgets ported JBL 2242 cabinets, I have my choice of two 3600,s or 1 QSC PowerLight 6.0II. Both are hella strong amps.
    scottyj

A friend of mine has one PL6 the earlier PFC model and he powers four EAW double 18 cabinets with it. Even with a 2 ohm load per channel the amp runs cool, granted there are four fans in it! When working hard the MA 3600's at 4 ohms will be putting out some warm/slightly hot air. I have the 3600's in a separate racks from the QSC's because Crown exhaust the hot air from the back while QSC draws air from the back of their amp.

Mike Caldwell

Ill tell you this, I think Im leaning to the QSC for those subs, cleaner bass, better kick, more strike of the drum if you will.

Doesnt grumble down low like Crown, but its a moose. 2ohms? No sweat, had it running EIGHT JBL 2242,s no problem. The QSC does have a fast sudden snap, makes transient bass notes quite startling!
    scottyj

Thread Information