Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown K Series amp opinions?

I wear a Crown t-shirt to work everyday, almost and my Crown hat everyday.

Bald, you know.

Smk.

ps. Our sound rig at AK SoundLabs used Delta Omega's for subs and lows, Psa2 for mids, and DC300 for highs. Great American iron! Kind of like a Harley of amp racks. I used to throw them around myself. I was younger. I think he still has all of the Crown racks in limbo. The PSA2 is quite an amp! Sometimes fickle. Send them back to mommatech in elkhart to fix.

pps. If Crown goes private, lets buy as a group! I'm in.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Scott

You mentined the Crest amp. I have been told they are great sounding bass amps although I have never heard one. It's always fun shopping. I am enjoying my current journey for a good Sub. I think I am leaning toward a Definitive Technology SuperCube.

I just found a Revel Sub 15 for 800 bucks and am tempted with it as well.

Ken
    The amps will be doing midbass duty.

The Crest does good bass BECAUSE it has a big power supply.

BUT, its different sounding than Crown.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    I wear a Crown t-shirt to work everyday, almost and my Crown hat everyday.

Bald, you know.

Smk.

ps. Our sound rig at AK SoundLabs used Delta Omega's for subs and lows, Psa2 for mids, and DC300 for highs. Great American iron! Kind of like a Harley of amp racks. I used to throw them around myself. I was younger. I think he still has all of the Crown racks in limbo. The PSA2 is quite an amp! Sometimes fickle. Send them back to mommatech in elkhart to fix.

pps. If Crown goes private, lets buy as a group! I'm in.
    Yeah, I had the M-600, Ive had the Delta Omega, both great mono blocks, but the kick of the PSA-2 is classic. Always been my fav subwoofer amp.

The Macro Techs would have been fantastic amps if they had only made them with bigger power supplies. That was always the weak link in that series of amplifiers.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    The Macro Techs would have been fantastic amps if they had only made them with bigger power supplies. That was always the weak link in that series of amplifiers.
    Never used a PSA2 for subs, just mids. The DO's were new to us in '92. Music and live gigs were changing fast! (mchammer...etc)

Just use LOTS of 'em!!! Don't skimp on the supply wiring. I ran an extra panel from the mains to the booth just for audio stuff and amps. Got the lighting stuff off of the same panel, finally. We drove our own 8' gounding rods right there under the booth.

I agree, that sometimes the macs sound like soft power, but now, with there own dedicated 200A service it makes an audible difference!

just my .02
    Don't mean to alter your thread.

My system has a dedicated 200 amp service just for the sound, without any lighting on it. My building has an 800 amp 3 phase main service, electric isnt the problem.

My problem, is that the 2400 gets mushy sounding after a while, it gets tired no matter what size service you have. My original 2400,s have 30amp power cords on them, I ran them each on their own 30amp circuit.

PSA-2 is a great amp, but I would not use that amp for midrange, its too hard to drive with the 2v input sensitivity, and isnt sweet in the upper ranges, makes great sounding bass, though. I also know the DC-300A. Great bass if its enough power for your woofers, but, grainy sounding in the high frequencies. I have used DC-300,s since 1977.

For upper mids I love the D-150A, and for my VHF, the Crown Power Line 2 is my fav. PL-2 is an enhanced D-75, and makes a fantastic sounding tweeter amp. I use three of these to run six JBL 2404 bi-radials, and sixteen JBL 2402 bullet tweeters. One Crown D-150A runs six 2395/2441 mid horns. This combination works extremely well.

However, the 2402 will sound proper on my TAD 15,s, I am going to put one in, and run it for a week, and see what happens, I will do the same with a Crest CA-9. I want to try a Lab Gruppen, but am having trouble finding someone who sells them here in NY.

Ill see which amp has the stamina.

You have to know, my place opens at noon every day, and runs till midnight, and till 3 maybe 4 in the morning on weekends.
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    Arr, so this is what the Crown K1 looks like then I was thinking it was an old amplifier.

Gee thanks.

Now I have to buy new t-shirts and a hat from powersoft.

Lisa will just make fun of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    Are you using them?

What do they sound like?
    scottyj

Scott,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I just dont love the Crest sound. Although, I may have to try out a crest CA-9 in here and see exactly what it does. The thing theat amp has going for it is it big power supply, fan cooling, and the right amount of power for the woofers I am using.
    - I'd suggest that if you're going to try any Crest CA model for subs that you make it a CA-12 ( I use QSC PowerLights above mine ).

- FWIW, I briefly had CA-9(s) on my subs ( Transparence 18s of some model ) and quite quickly gave the amps back and ordered CA-12s ( not enough watts for an 18" speaker if I remember correct ) . It's a shame that you're not local ( or even on the right side of the border ) / I'd loan you a pair to try out on your 2242s ??? ( maybe I should read your first post to see what speaker you're actually driving ) .

ps ;
    - Scott, I just read your first post / never-mind
    - I use QSC PL-1.8s on 15(s) and horn drivers .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Scott,

- I'd suggest that if you're going to try any Crest CA model for subs that you make it a CA-12 ( I use QSC PowerLights above mine ).

- FWIW, I briefly had CA-9(s) on my subs ( Transparence 18s of some model ) and quite quickly gave the amps back and ordered CA-12s ( not enough watts for an 18" speaker if I remember correct ) . It's a shame that you're not local ( or even on the right side of the border ) / I'd loan you a pair to try out on your 2242s ??? ( maybe I should read your first post to see what speaker you're actually driving ) .

ps ;
    - Scott, I just read your first post / never-mind
    - I use QSC PL-1.8s on 15(s) and horn drivers .
    LOL, midbass duty is what the amps will be doing.

For my 2242,s Im going back and forth between a QSC Powerlight 6.0II, and two Crown Macro Tech 3600,s.

For my horn loaded TAD,s I dont need more than 400w per driver.

I am going to try out the Crest CA-9, against the Crown 2402.
    scottyj

QSC has some interesting offerings. That 3.4 looks good. I asked a freind who also does pro sound, what he likes in QSC for 15,s he still likes the power light series, he doesnt care for the power light 2,s and said he doesnt really know about the new power light 3 series. He did say that the way they are rating the Power Light 3 series bothers him, they only provide a 1khz rating instead of the 20hz-20khz rating like they do with the original power light series.

But, they do have amps in a wider range of power output than Crown.
    scottyj

RIP 2009
    One thing about the Crest CA-9 - they seem to be reliable! I rough-handle mine all over town and it's never missed a beat!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    One thing about the Crest CA-9 - they seem to be reliable! I rough-handle mine all over town and it's never missed a beat!

John
    Yes, they are TOTALLY relaible, and very stable. No problems there, the Crest will take a beating and keep on going, no matter what!

scottyj

I got a Lab Gruppen coming this week to try out. Everyone raves about these, and the company I buy from is telling me this is the way to go.

If its that good, Ill go for three of them.

scottyj

Thread Information