Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown K Series amp opinions?

Oh, please say its not so.
    The I Techs have a noisy cooling fan.
    The K series amplifiers are dead silent.
    Well, it least until you put a signal to them, and then its watch out.

Aw Crap! I was hoping to get another K2 or two for a future sub-woofer project.

Well, you can always get one off fleabay!

But, I wanted new.

scottyj

And like you Scotty, I want new.

I hear you. Now I have to go listen to amps all over again, and find something I like.

You know, I'm seriously thinking about going Lab Gruppen, they are supposed to sound great, and I am just over how American Audio comapanies run these days.

I have been wondering what will happen to Crown with Harman being sold and all? I wonder if Crown will go private and become Crown again. Or, will they slough the company?

scottyj

For a possible new stock K2 or maybe K1 amps try Short Sound in Pennsylvania. He always seems to have a few of everything in stock, maybe some K2's still laying around. I know he has some Crown MA5002 amps if you want/need a lot of power.
    There number is (724) 453-1401

Like Scott I'm kind of wondering what is going to happen to the Harmon companies. My gut feeling is that some will get sold off for some quick cash return.

Mike Caldwell

Yeah, Mike, I know about Short Sound, thanks for the tip.

The Macro-Tech series is still being manufactured, the line consists of the 2402, 3600, and 5002. I guess I will have to consider the 2402, but it was never one of my favorites. Problem with the 2400 is it just doesnt have a big enough power supply for the amount of power it puts out, and after two, maybe three hours, that amp sounds winded.

Crest still makes the CA series which have nice size power supplies, I just dont love the Crest sound. Although, I may have to try out a crest CA-9 in here and see exactly what it does. The thing theat amp has going for it is it big power supply, fan cooling, and the right amount of power for the woofers I am using.

Lab Gruppen is what I'm being told to listen to, they say of all the newfangled type amps, they sound the best. They DO have amps in the power range I seek, which is 600 to 800wpc@4ohms.

scottyj

I AM NOT buying used amps. I have in the past, and 97% of the used amps I bought were headaches, and had problems.

I am running a serious pro dance club sound system, and I want brand new amps, no problems, warranty, etc!

And, the BGW 750B is a nice sounding bass amp, but, not quite enough power for the 15,s I am using now. I dont need 1600wpc, but I do need more than 325wpc.

And I just dont feel like hunting down three 750B,s, I just want to get this done!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post

Like Scott I'm kind of wondering what is going to happen to the Harmon companies. My gut feeling is that some will get sold off for some quick cash return.

Mike Caldwell
    Alot of guys I know would like to see Crown become private again, and for Crown to return to making amps that THEY can make.

Crown was once THE only amp to buy!

But, those dayumed I Techs, everyone has had problems with them. They lock up, and they must go back to the factory to be serviced, then you have all those extra features Ill never use, xovers, etc. If they just could have made a stripped down version, the basic amp without all the additional features.

Then you got the xTi series, I see they put a DBX sub harmonic synth in as well. You know, that just doesnt whet my whistle.

Once upon a time, you went to the store, you bought Crown without even thinking about it, ya know?
    scottyj

K Series

Hi Scott

Yes, it's a shame Harmon/Crown dropped the K Series. I just bought a pair and can confirm they make one hell of a low frequency amp (best I have heard). If you change your mind, replace R15 on the input board with a 1M resistor thereby changing the timing on the hibernation mode for the PS from 6 seconds to 60. When the power supply comes out of hibernation mode it has an audible click. At the default 6 second timing it becomes a serious issue for home listening.

(Hint) Replacing R15 (1/4 watt) is a friggin pain if you remove the PCB to get to the underside. An easier way is to cut the leads close to the body of the existing resistor and carefully solder in the new resistor from the top side to the old leads. Don't overheat!

**Your amp will run hotter with this mod as the PS needs 1 minute of no signal on the input to go into sleep mode.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Right now, Im looking at three amps, The Lab Gruppen FP-2600, The Crown Macro Tech-2402, and The Crest CA-9.

I have to hear the Lab, I know they are said to sound great, the Crown sounds like Crown, and the Crest makes a generous sounding bottom end, but is a darker sound than Crown. But, it does have a large power supply, and wont sound winded after two hours of heavy use.
    scottyj

I have all Crown Macro 600, 1200 and 2400 at the bar in the Big ballroom.

LOVETHEM!!! Always have, always will!!!! Changed out the mackie 1400i and 2600's.

I am looking for 3600 and 5000 right now. Money tight, ambition high!

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

Right now, Im looking at three amps, The Lab Gruppen FP-2600, The Crown Macro Tech-2402, and The Crest CA-9.

Scott,
    Have you heard anything about those MC^2 amplifiers?

http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/about/

way back when Todd let me listen to his FPI unit, I think i remember that he was saying that he was spec'ing those almost exclusively; IIRC....

just tossing it out there....

I have heard good and bad about MC-2. My problem is its not really a store stocked item here. And, I've never heard them, gotta listen before I buy. If I heard them, and got to try one, and I liked it, I would go for it.

The other side of the coin is I happen to like the Crown sound. Granted, I have always felt the PSA-2 more robust, and ultra reliable, more so than the 2400, but, the 2400, 3600, and 50002,s DO sound like Crown.

Only Crown sounds like Crown.
    scottyj

Crest Amps

Scott

You mentined the Crest amp. I have been told they are great sounding bass amps although I have never heard one. It's always fun shopping. I am enjoying my current journey for a good Sub. I think I am leaning toward a Definitive Technology SuperCube.

I just found a Revel Sub 15 for 800 bucks and am tempted with it as well.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I went to buy, and guess what? Good 'ol Crown discontinued the K Sereis of amps! Yep, K1,s and K2,s are NO MORE!
    Yer kidding? Holy cow...I had narrowed down my soon to be selection on the K1/K2 amps... jeepers creepers...

Thread Information