Thread: JBL L-5 info needed please

JBL L-5 info needed please

Greetings- There are a pair of JBL L-5 speakers supposedly in very good condition, that I have the oppportunity to purchase locally (no shipping involved). I looked in the Library and saw that these are four way speakers with a sensitivity of about 90db, but couldn't find any anyones' impressions of them on the forum. Firstly, what did these units cost when they were new, and what kind of money would they be worth if they are in "very good" condition. Assuming that they are probably at least 13 years old, they will probably need to be refoamed correct? The seller didn't have a price in mind and I don't know what to offer him. Any ideas, suggestions, or otherwise? Thanks very much, Paul

L-5's

I have a pair of the L-5's and if you can get a pair
    for a reasonable price do so. They have excellent
    bass and over all tonal frequency. You will not be
    dissappointed! They are better than most of the
    speakers I have owned and they cost me less than
    a car payment. You can easily tell if they need
    refoaming when you inspect them.

Good Luck!

The general L Series (1990s) thread is here.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...es+%281990s%29

There's lots of info on the L5 in it, as well as the L Series in general and in particular the common drivers: 035Ti, 704G, 706G. and 708G, all in the L5. The LE120H-1 from the L7 is discussed, too.

I've passed on at least two pairs recently that had minor flaws and yet still surpassed the $200 mark on Ebay. One was local enough but a hassle, the other a bit closer. You should be able to find them locally for $200 or $250 and I think that'd be a great deal. I'd buy a pair if they fell in my lap for that money. From what I've read on this site they'd fit my environment better than the L7.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    Assuming that they are probably at least 13 years old, they will probably need to be refoamed correct?
    Actually, the surrounds will probably still be OK. JBL used a "closed" type of rubber surround on these, and unlike the "open-cell" foam on many of their other models, the type used on these does not really appear to deteriorate.

John

Thanks everyone, and another question please?

Dome- I really appreciate that link, I can't beleive that it didn't come up when I was doing a search, I must have entered at least 6 or 7 L-5 combinations. So from what I gleaned from all of the reading is that the L-5s are actually quite a good speaker. The thing that scares me is the JBL recone kits are not available for the drivers?, is this true of most of JBLs "newer" stuff (90's vintage)?All of my JBLs are from the 70s I beleive (4343 , L100 -two different versions), L50, 4301B). Are surround kits available in the event that these have any seperation problems as one member noted? I may go look at them later today so I want to make sure that I have my info correct.Are there any other issues that I should be concerned with when I go to inspect the speakers? Also , the seller has an Onkyo TX SX515 pro receiver? and an Onkyo 6 disk DX C211 cd player if anyone is interested.I know nothing about Onkyo equipment. I beleive that he is asking $700 for the lot but he stated that he is taking offers, Once again, Thanks so much for your guidance, Regards, wpod aka Paul

clmrt
    I have L5's and love them. If something goes wrong with a driver, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If a surround seperates, I imaginf I'll super glue the SOB back together. That method worked really well on some ADS rubber surrounds.

Found mine in 8/10 condition for $250 locally. Good luck!

So where do you get the surround kits by the way?

Greetings- I ended up grabbing that pair of L-5 even though upon closer examination, the 708G-1 woofers do in fact need new surrounds (seperating from cone). I contacted Rick Cobb (last Thursday) and he told me that he doesn't have them "listed", but is waiting to hear from his supplier to see if they are available. In the event that he can't get them, what are my options? Ideas, comments, suggestions? Thank you, wpod PS- The L-5s sound amazingly good, especially considering the condition of the surrounds.

clmrt
    If it were me, I'd crazy glue it.

I used a 1.5v AA battery and connected it to best expose the problem. In my case, the surround was attached to the cone, but had seperated from the frame. I connected the battery +/+ and it forced the cone well out, exposing the mounting surface.

Had the cone seperated, I'd likely reverse the leads.

A thin bead, reverse the leads to then draw the parts together, let sit for a while.

Of course, I might be completely insane. ADS materials might be more tolerant to CA glue than the JBL cones and surrounds. Approach with caution.

Thread Information