Thread: Opinions on L-112, 4311, 4311B & 4312

Opinions on L-112, 4311, 4311B & 4312

Hello all. I am new to the JBL thing and am enjoying it quite much. I am currently borrowing a pair of L 112s from a friend. I see that the 4311s & 4311Bs are the most available of all the JBLs and use many of the same parts as the L 112. What are some opinions of these compared against each other? Lastly I use a First Watt F3 clone that only pumps out 15W per channel, is this too little.

Thanks much,
    Roundsound

Quote Originally Posted by Roundsound View Post
    15W per channel, is this too little.
    Yes. I'd recommend 150WPC as a minimum, and more if you like to get crazy. These speakers sound by far the best at moderate to high volume with abundant power. There's really no upper limit.

As to which model is "best": none. They are all designed for specific purposes. The pro monitors are designed for close-in work in a studio. The L112 is designed for home stereo.

I am currently borrowing a pair of L 112s from a friend. I see that the 4311s & 4311Bs are the most available of all the JBLs and use many of the same parts as the L 112. What are some opinions of these compared against each other? Lastly I use a First Watt F3 clone that only pumps out 15W per channel, is this too little.
    I'm not sure which parts they share, if any. The pro version of the L112 is the 4411 studio monitor. Big difference in the woofer, as well as the UHF, compared to the 4311s. In more modern studio monitors the L112 is closer to the 4412 and the 4412A since they all share versions of the 128H/H-1 woofer. And yes, you need more power. Lots of it.

What mid-range does the L 112 use and is that interchanable as well? I took one out but the corrosion around it allowed me only to read 512.

What mid-range does the L 112 use and is that interchanable as well? I took one out but the corrosion around it allowed me only to read 512.
    LE5-12. It is interchangeable with the LE5-10 and LE5-8. These were used in the 4311B and 4312 also.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    LE5-12. It is interchangeable with the LE5-10 and LE5-8. These were used in the 4311B and 4312 also.
    4411 uses LE5-9 though I'm pretty sure most here call that entire genre interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The odd numbered LE5's had the more powerful copper ribbon voice coils while the even numbered LE5's had the round wire voice coils. Only the round wire voice coil kits are still available from JBL today.

What mid-range does the L 112 use and is that interchanable as well?
    As well as what? It may be the only component the L112 shares with the 4411.

Thanks for all the info. The next part is that my Dyna tube pre shot out some DC that tore one of the LE 512 drivers. I saw a pinhole prior but now its tore to the surround. Are there any places that anyone would recommend for a recone or should I drop in used replacements off of EBAY. Like I said these are borrowed and my friend knows about the dammage, but I don't want it to linger.

Lastly would 30 Watts be to little. I do come from a low watt full range driver backround and have never had a wattage problem. I could switch to a gainclone at 30 or a Aleph-J clone.

Could I get an amp role call for the 431* series out there....

hello roundsound!

i would really try to get a decent amount of wattage, even if 3oW would be enough to be satisfied.
    -i dont know where you are going with your setup, but if you want it to be very good looking and stylish, consider Mcintosh from the same era that your speakers will be. but it will be expensive: http://www.audioclassics.com/
    -i would try to find a decent pre-amp and plug it into a powerful poweramplifier, maybe PA.

about the speakers themselfs -since they are not so easy to get your hands on alltogether, just see what will come through and pick a good looking or a cheap pair. compaired to other "species" of speakers, they are not so different after all (dont quote me here).
    i, for me, would definitly go with 431o.
    dont forget to ask the forum when you find a pair that youd like to buy.

cheers,
    mikey

Well, I can give you one for the L112, which is what you're using it with now, right? Folks around here have probably gotten tired of hearing me say it, but my L112s have never been powered by anything but a Crown D150 since they were brand new. I've got plenty of other higher-powered Crowns but the original 1974 D150 has been with me since new, too. At about 80 watts-per into 8-ohms, it seems to fit the JBL minimum listed for the L112 times eight for additional headroom. Max is 300wpc. The 80-watt Crown will drive the L112 to the point that it will fill a good sized room and nobody gets hurt! You can find a decent D150, D150A, D150A-II, or even PS-200 or DC300A-II or PS-400 for anywhere from $100 to $200. Some crazy Japanese pay $600 for the inferior PL-4, but you don't have to. Pay more for a Mac if you want to but Crown's a member of the Harman family now and many, many of them were sold to descrimintating home hi-fi enthusiasts in the '70s and '80s who weren't caught up in the bling of the big blue meters.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to power JBL bookshelfs. Here's an example in a sold auction: Crown PS-200 $150 w/optional fans

great comments on the amps. Thanks for sharing.
    Steve

Not being a tube guy, I've always had mid-line Yamaha amps in my repertoire (120-250WPC, sometimes bridged). I'm currently running a Yamaha MX-2000 with a set of L112's. 130WPC of Hybrid Class A bliss. For easy listening, it runs as little as .1W, I've yet to push it past 50WPC or so and be in the same room for long and the L112 is certainly not fatiguing like I think the 43xx series can be.

P.S. I have NEVER blown a driver with any of my gear. I recently picked up a set of 4412 and the PO went through 2 sets of 035Ti/035Tia. Said they were used in a backup studio room but I don't know what (pro?) amps he had punishing them.

Studio people can be nuts!

At the station I limit how loud the can play, I put security covers over the amp knobs so the people here can't turn them all the way up.
    When I first did this some complained, I told them they were in violation of OSHA laws and they would have to wear hearing protectors if I didn't limit the sound level. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    At the station I limit how loud the can play, I put security covers over the amp knobs so the people here can't turn them all the way up.
    I know what you mean. For about six-bucks Crown offers a security knob kit consisting of a tube to shove the shaft inside the chassis after you set and remove the real knobs, then a pair of dummy knobs that snap into the front panel holes. People can spin those all they want but they won't change anything. I thought I might have to use them with my kids but no one can stand anywhere near the volume that I can, apparently. On my Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four amp with the L7s my kids leave the room in terror and the LEDs haven't even indicated they've reached one watt yet.

I have two 4310's, two 4410's, and two 4412's. Have used the 4310's with a Dynaco ST-70 (35 W/CH), a Dynaco 400 (200 W/CH), a Hafler DH-220 (110 W/CH), a Borbeley amp kit from Audio Amateur Magazine (50 W/CH), and an Advent 300 Receiver (20 W/CH). No damage.
    Have used the 4410's with the Hafler, the Advent, an Alesis Matica 500 amp (250 W/CH), A Sansui 3300 Receiver (24 W/CH), and a Sansui AU-7700 Integrated Amp (54 W/CH). No damage.
    Have used the 4412's with the Sansui's. No damage. These seem to want more power available, however.
    I believe that I am very good at perceiving the onset of any noticible distortion in the output, so I've had no driver frying due to too low power in any of the amps.
    Drew Daniels has on his Soundpath Studio webpage a power limiting circuit if necessary.
    BTW, I have a friend who is so deaf/dumb that he fried a pair of Lancers (surprised me) and later a pair of Klipshorns (!), (did not surprise me). He had a wannbe DJ rig and when I heard it in action it was obvious he had no sense of distortion/overload. It was sonically very, very ugly.

Thread Information