Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Received all 4 of the XPL 140'S

There's virtually no way you can "fix" those in a home environment. Once that thin Ti is creased, it doesn't come out. You can flatten it, pop out the big dents, even put it on a shaped anvil and try to reform it, but it'll never be smooth again. The wrinkle will always show.

Doesn't affect sound? Probably not that much, but it is a factor in performance. Of course, seeing can be believing, and once I replace by slightly crinkled 095Ti diaphragm, I swear it sounded better.

That 095ti/046ti combo is something special. Sounds like kingjames digs it a little.

I agree that's why I didn't take them apart.They are all listed on the bay already (the junk pair) .Yes I do dig the 095ti/046ti combo,they are such a pleasure to listen to,Crisp,clean and room filling,and the bottom end isin't bad at all either at least not like people here were talking about.I find the bottom end to be sufficient for how I listen to music.

Couldn't be more happy with these and I can imagine how the 200's sound.I like them so well I might have to get rid of my L96's.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Not hard at all, but some of the dents will probably pop them selves right back in. There's not much chance of making it worse though. It's self centering when you put it together, no worries about the voice coil alignment.
    Well....

As a former XPL140 owner let me just say that the "self-centering" aspect of 093TI diaphragm removal/replacement leaves something to be desired. One of my speakers had a weird resonance in the 093 that I attributed to a serious internal issue. I took the driver to my local JBL guy - twice - to get replacement diaphragms (both of which were DOA out of the box - he was pissed) but he finally ended up going through a very delicate and orderly process of tightening the screws until it didn't misbehave any more. It was definitely the voice coil rubbing but it took certain music at certain volumes to hear it.

Maybe mine was damaged in some other way, but it wasn't easy to get it back together sounding like it should.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I agree that's why I didn't take them apart.They are all listed on the bay already (the junk pair) .Yes I do dig the 095ti/046ti combo,they are such a pleasure to listen to,Crisp,clean and room filling,and the bottom end isin't bad at all either at least not like people here were talking about.I find the bottom end to be sufficient for how I listen to music.

Couldn't be more happy with these and I can imagine how the 200's sound.I like them so well I might have to get rid of my L96's.

Glad you like them - they're an excellent speaker system. Have you played with different amps on the highs/lows yet ?

The bass goes does go amazingly low for a single 8" driver with the only limiting factor being how loud it will play. If you're not into shaking the foundation, you could be really happy with these for a very long time. The imaging from those Ti drivers is spectacular. Jazz (especially music featuring a trumpet or sax ) really comes alive and takes over the room.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Well....

As a former XPL140 owner let me just say that the "self-centering" aspect of 093TI diaphragm removal/replacement leaves something to be desired. One of my speakers had a weird resonance in the 093 that I attributed to a serious internal issue. I took the driver to my local JBL guy - twice - to get replacement diaphragms (both of which were DOA out of the box - he was pissed) but he finally ended up going through a very delicate and orderly process of tightening the screws until it didn't misbehave any more. It was definitely the voice coil rubbing but it took certain music at certain volumes to hear it.

Maybe mine was damaged in some other way, but it wasn't easy to get it back together sounding like it should.

jblnut
    The flat head screws should pull the diaphragm assembly to the correct alignment. I've done a few, never had a problem. Maybe there are some bad diaphragms out there.

At the risk of appearing stupid, I've noticed a few reply's to this thread stating an 093ti mid and mine are an 095ti mid. Is this just a typo or what?

I believe the original XPLs had the 095Ti and the "A" version had the 093Ti. Honestly, I don't know what the difference is. (.02mm?)

Edit: Turns out it's the voice coil among other things. See post #25 below.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 03-05-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Accuracy

Giskard covered the difference, a search should turn something up. The later version (093Ti) used copper clad voice coil windings.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Giskard covered the difference, a search should turn something up. The later version (093Ti) used copper clad voice coil windings.
    Look here:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...t=093+diaphram

Thread Information