Thread: two different subs

leif

two different subs

I have a B460 that I am happy with. But placement is a problem with one sub, and I would have loved to have one more. Problem is, there is no b460 to find. But there is a B380 for sale that I know of. How would it go with one of each?

Leif

TimG
    Earl Geddes, who runs a consulting business, http://www.gedlee.com/
    has written that you will get the smoothest in-room bass response with 5 different subwoofers scattered around the room. So go ahead and buy another one. New research by Floyd Toole also shows the smoothest response comes from multiple subwoofers. To get the best response each one needs a seprate amplifier, means of controlling delay and a parametric EQ. Think about installing one of these in each box.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-806
    or this
    http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Buy a 2245h and build the 460 cab by your own. Here is drawings on the forum.

mats

leif
    Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    Buy a 2245h and build the 460 cab by your own. Here is drawings on the forum.

mats

Only one problem about that. I can not even put together the pieces in the kinder eggs I buy for my daughter. I would never ever manage to build a b460, not even something near it either.

I have 2 subs. 1 b460 w/a Adcom GFA555 and a Velodyne spl1200r , I have always heard don't mix different sized woofers over the same frequency range. I also have a Velodyne SMS-1 goes between both subs and Receiver

I have SMS sub soniic filter set at 50 @48db so the b460 sees 50-90. sms also passes full (lfe output) through to the 1200R. I have that set 50 and below.

Just before trying to dial everything in the big Sony 9kES went pop and is in a box waiting to be sent out for repair. the dual subs seems to work OK but I haven't played much since I am on a cheap spare

The Velo has always rumbled better in movies even though a smaller speaker so this does makes some sense

I "think" I like the multiple subs so far. the B460 being this large has only a few choices for placement while the much smaller Velo has ore choices

You most likely could sell it if you didn't like it and not lose much or if the right deal make a few bucks

Mark

Leif there is people who is making that for living.

mats

multisubs

Well, the Harman International white paper made a strong case for multiple subs, and my subsequent adventures with them have been quite enlightening. In fact, now I'm a believer.

Currently I'm running three HTPS400s in my main system. One is at the midpoint of the front wall, one at the midpoint of the left side wall, and one at the midpoint of the right side wall.

The bass is more uniformly fantastic in 2/3 of the room, the front 2/3. There's a drop in the last 1/3 of the room, particularly the corners, but since I never sit anywhere back there, it's not much of an issue. I would like to get a 4th sub to put back there just to see what the impact on the rest of the room would be.

In terms of placement, the midpoints are of course starting point, not final ones. The room size, dimensions, finishes, and furnishings all affect the final location. Since the front wall is basically flat and plain, the real midpoint works just fine.

On the left sidewall, there's a stand, an audio rack, some wall decorations, and a big window, plus the couch sits at a right angle to it at about 8' back. Getting to the exact midpoint required moving some the stand and everything on it, and the result was that the sub was more or less firing toward the side of the couch. Moving the sub toward the front made the bass uneven and created nulls, but moving it toward the back I actually located a place where it measured amazingly well and evened out the room response quite well.

On the right sidewall, there's a wide opening and a wall that angles in toward the back, narrowing the room. There are CD, DVD, LD, and VHS racks pretty much the entire way. I had to move the sub much farther back on this wall (at least 13'), relocating racks as I went. Once I found the right spot, bass was phenomenal and full throughout the front 2/3.

Places where I had easily measured 13dB drops or 7dB peaks have flattened right out to no more than -2dB or +1dB. The overall "profundity" of the bass is much improved.

These three 12" 1000W subs outperform two 14" 400W subs or a single 15" 600W sub in the same room. No question about it.

leif
    Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I have 2 subs. 1 b460 w/a Adcom GFA555 and a Velodyne spl1200r ,

The Velo has always rumbled better in movies even though a smaller speaker so this does makes some sense

Mark

I am surprised to hear your small 12 inch sub rumble better than a 18 inch large sub. Do you think the Velodyne is overall better than the B460?

I love my B460, both for the look, the build quality, and overall sound. But I have never ever heard another sub at home, so I really dont have anything to compare with.

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Well, the Harman International white paper made a strong case for multiple subs, ....
    Could you please give a link?
    I'm sure I read it once but I have lost track on my disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Could you please give a link?
    I'm sure I read it once but I have lost track on my disk.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    I have a B460 that I am happy with. But placement is a problem with one sub, and I would have loved to have one more. Problem is, there is no b460 to find. But there is a B380 for sale that I know of. How would it go with one of each?

Leif
    I have one but the shipping would kill you if the asking price fails to do it.

Thread Information