Thread: CD Transport Suggestions

CD Transport Suggestions

Can any of you recommend the above? Must read all media types. I will use the DAC in my Deqx. Budget is 1k.

Thanks
    Ken

Ken,
    This is what I'm running. One of the best ever made in the Pioneer Elite line up period, and probably across the board. One of the best features about it is all audio and video outs are all parallel. You can run video all over the house. Second it has a built in up-scaler, via HDMI. Movies in 1080-P. This unit is killer, I love mine.
    DV-59AVI $1500.00 retail.
    NO AFIL:

J/S-S1A
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Elite-DV...QQcmdZViewItem
    Jeff-S1A

Lexicon RT10. May be a bit over budget.

Nate.

What does all media types include, DVD too? The current stance in the High End is that DVD transports are not good CD transports. Never mind that CD-only transports (the disk spinning/reading part of a CD player) are no longer sold by Philips and Sony, or others. Why DVD transports are considered no good is not clear to me, something to do with their way of reading ahead and re-reading data for error correction purposes (I do not necessarily buy into these ideas, I am only presenting them to you).

So it would seem that using a DVD transport is a given. I have heard that PC "optical disk" drives are also used in home A/V equipment. One exception to all this is with two new Rega players, the Apollo and Saturn:

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/apollo.htm

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/Saturn.htm

These players have custom built transports that read a CDs TOC (Table Of Contents) and optimize various things for optimal playback. This is all explained in the above links. There is an article and review of at least one of them in Stereophile, one here:

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/

The Apollo is just within your budget, at $995, the Saturn beyond that.

If all the high end spin doesn't matter to you, sorry to bore you. Beyond that. . .

I like Sony ES CD players for transports, although they will not have AES/EBU digital outputs, and might only have Toslink S/PDIF outputs, not coax, check if this matters to you. I use a Sony ES player, running into a Monarchy Audio DIP, which among other things provides an AES/EBU output, and also provides S/PDIF out on coax from a Toslink input.

I have an older Pioneer DVD player I've used as a transport, but believe it to be not as good as the Sony. I have a Philips CD/SACD/DVD player (763) that I thought made a good CD transport.

I can't recommend what I have no experience with, but that Rega player sounds intriguing to me, I'm tempted by it. . .

Pro players might be an option, someone just posted about one somewhere in the forum.

do forum search for "ps1"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information