Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reconing glue

reconing glue

Hi all you crazy JBL fans ,

does anybody know, whats the right glue for the reconing of a woofer. I think there must be a difference between the glueing of the cone and the spider.
    And where can I get this glue? Is it two component?

HP

Hey, Hanspeter...

A caveat to this post (like all mine... ), since I don't have a tube of glue to refer to, and all this is hearsay anyway...

The stuff JBL provides in recone kits is "Bostik", in a squeeze tube. It is nasty goop. But, it is used to adhere the spider and the cone-edge to the frame, dust cap as well (but that can be tricky since its goopy stuff).

A Google found BostikFindley - Link and I've moused into the cyanoacrylates (I'm pretty sure that is what this is), and there, the first two descriptions sound possible.

I know Giskard has done an entire room in this stuff, and as well, others know it better than I, so when they pop-up, I'll delete this...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Hanspeter!

How was the "Rutsch" into 2004?

try this:

http://www.behringer-electric.de/oth...eAnleitung.doc

Sorry Guys it's in German

Believe it or not, what we've been using around here, has been the thicker composition of woodworker's type cyanoacrylate glue (it's available in thin, medium and thick viscosities- the thinner ones "run away" too fast!) with the companion bottle of spray accelerator. A local PA repair place has been reconing woofers with this for years, and has YET to have a glue joint fail. I've seen cone carcasses with melted coils, burned cones and such, and the glue joints still were OK, even after that kind of failure of the assembly under duress! Temperature obviously is NOT a real problem, with this stuff.

Most good woodworking supply places, will have this stuff available... it's not terribly expensive (IIRC, I bought two tubes of glue and one bottle of spray accelerator, for about $15 US, last time I went).

Otherwise, two-part "30 minute" epoxy works great. Just that you have to wait 30 minutes, instead of 3 seconds for the cyanoacrylate, well, that's the only real disadvantage, AFAICT... it's easy to get addicted to the "instant recone" aspects of the superglue based stuff! :-)

BTW- we use the same cyanoacrylate (or epoxy) for the spider and the cone joints to the voice coil. No need to complicate with more than one glue, one works just as well. In fact, I've taken to using the cyanoacrylate to glue on spiders to baskets as well, and sometimes even dustcaps to cones- Peavey was one of the first to do this, and I've NEVER seen a Peavey driver done this way, with a failed glue joint...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Last edited by GordonW; 01-10-2004 at 10:53 AM.

reconing glue

[hello friends,

thanks Gordon, thanks also to all others....

this was a great help......I will try it .

Now I know all about reconing and will buy some glue

HP

Easy to remove glue ?

Hi Gordon

What type of glue would you recommend for a "temporary" cone/spider install ?

I have a winter project that involves creating a speaker hybrid. I have a 2234/5H cone kit that I want to put into a 2220H motor. I want to then break it in, capture a response curve for it, measure the TS parameters for posteriety and then likely remove it.

regards <> Earl K

Re: Easy to remove glue ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Earl K
    [B]Hi Gordon

What type of glue would you recommend for a "temporary" cone/spider install ?

Hi Earl,

sorry for disturbing your thoughts about temporary glueing.....

I thought about the same problem ....and prefered to do it with a mechanical solution.
    remember the early speaker constructions (like 150-4) where the cone was fitted by separate srews on the basket (you can use the standard mounting holes. You only need a plate with the dimensions of the speaker gaskets and press it with the screws together.
    The spider is a little more difficult....Two halfcircles from metall pressed with a metall bridge over the magnet.......

I think that this is a practical way to get a reversible recone kit. This may also be enough for your measurements, not for power tests!
    What do you (and the other guys) think about ??

HP

Re: Guido's thread

Hi Guido,

thanks for asking bout my "2004 Rutsch"
    I've been in Franfurt , Bornheim in a nice music club (without JBL speakers ) listend to a Blues Band till 5:00 AM and then drove to my home (by subway of cause).
    I gave me the so called "Absacker" at home (sorry guys, this was german), powerd my 4435 with John Lee Hooker (Bluebird) ......and I tell you....it was a very nice afternoon.

HP

Thumbs up Handn't thought of that !

Hi HP

Yes,

- Your idea has merit. I'm sure that it's workable somehow.

- I'll have to explore the practicals of it.

Thanks for the thoughts <> Earl K

Re: Handn't thought of that !

- Your idea has merit. I'm sure that it's workable somehow.

- I'll have to explore the practicals of it.

Thanks for the thoughts <> Earl K [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Earl,

I feel that I kicked off a very special theme with my first thread

the following pic shows my thoughts about "glueless reconing"

please give a sign what you think about.
    (are you able to read ACAD files?)

HP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

HP, that's one of the most clever things I've seen lately. If you do this, you might want to spray on a VERY light layer of the "repositionable" spray glue onto the basket, where the spider will sit and where the surround will go. This will help the clamps to "cinch" the spider and surround, so that they don't "wander around" under test. Once you're done testing, you can just peel off the kit from the glue, and take the glue off the basket with acetone or whatever other appropriate solvent...

The only pitfall I see, is that you'll probably wind up trashing a dustcap, since I don't see it working by the same methods... it'll need to be glued on normally. But, if you're careful, you should be able to engineer the dustcap install, so that you can cut it out carefully and replace it with another one, once the cone assembly is re-used later...

Regards,
    Gordon.

reconing

Originally posted by GordonW
    HP, that's one of the most clever things I've seen lately. If you do this, you might want to spray on a VERY light layer of the "repositionable" spray glue onto the basket, where the spider will sit and where the surround will go. This will help the clamps to "cinch" the spider and surround, so that they don't "wander around" under test. Once you're done testing, you can just peel off the kit from the glue, and take the glue off the basket with acetone or whatever other appropriate solvent...

The only pitfall I see, is that you'll probably wind up trashing a dustcap, since I don't see it working by the same methods... it'll need to be glued on normally. But, if you're careful, you should be able to engineer the dustcap install, so that you can cut it out carefully and replace it with another one, once the cone assembly is re-used later...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your idea with the repositionable glue.....a fine idea.
    What do you think about to use this also for the dustcap?

HP

Thumbs up Jules Verne

Hi HP

Neat contraption ! Have you built one ?

I like Gordons suggestion of using "repositionable" glue in conjunction with a clamping system. Gordon, do you have any brand names to offer up ?

HP, I just checked my 2220 and found that my woodworkers style C-Clamps have just enough clearance under the cone to actually be used in this space. So thats the route I'm going to go. As it turns out, I have some 8" squares of aluminum alloy ( very stiff stuff ) that I may be able to fashion clamping circles from ( if I can cleanly cut it ).

Thanks for the ideas & info guys <. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 01-11-2004 at 07:21 AM.

temp reconing

Hi Earl,

No....I didn't do it....the idea is about 2 years old, when I wanted to find out some TS-Params from different cones like 2235, E140 and some more in a cooked 2205H.
    In the meantime I found nearly all TS in the web....and sent my 2205 to a reconer.......but who knows....

HP with best regards to Canada

Dunno about brands... but I'd bet, you should be able to find repositionable glue, at a vartiety of art supply places. My roommate uses it, to temporarily mount canvases while "in progress"... and I know it came from one of said art supply places...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information