Thread: LE 10A Refoam

LE 10A Refoam

Any recomendations on where I can get the best refoam kit for the LE10A? Never done it myself, anybody know of good repair people close to Cincinnati?

I can only tell you what I would do if I was in your shoes! If it's important to get it right, don't do it yourself. I'm a big fan of 4313Bs and have picked up many over the years. They all have the LE10H with foam surrounds. 4 of the most recent pairs I have had in the past two years were done by a "speaker tech". I also had a pair of L65s with a pair 126As I believe that had new sorrounds put in it by a "JBL Factory Tech". 3 of the 5 of these turned out with a very slight rub that eventualy could have destroyed the spider. The guys that work on JBLs regularly, or for any speaker manufacturer will have shims allready set aside for the job and are quite familar with them. These guys will have the odds on their side. There are techs on this board who will probably get it right 99% of the time but refuse to do it. They will only recone as JBL recommends. The jobs I had that were bad were corrected by a tech that is really good here locally, but he is backed up for 8 weeks. JBLDog uses the same guy also. He is a wizard. The point to this long winded post is that if you want it right, IMHO opinion forget it, let someone who has dealt with that same driver over and over do the job! I just had a pair of 136As refoamed and reguassed by OC speakers. The shipping killed Me but it was worth it. I told them if they couldn't get it perfect then recone it. It turned out great. I wouldn't want to risk the damage a bad job could do!

Hey, Don...

There's an interesting Thread here Resurround step-by-step , if I do say so myself that will walk you safely through the steps. And, it lists a GREAT source for the surround kits. Rick Cobb will also do the work if you're uneasy about it, but if not, give it a try.

With patience and persistence, you'll surely do a good job , if resurrounding is all you need/want.

Good luck!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I can only tell you what I would do if I was in your shoes! If it's important to get it right, don't do it yourself. I'm a big fan of 4313Bs and have picked up many over the years. They all have the LE10H with foam surrounds. 4 of the most recent pairs I have had in the past two years were done by a "speaker tech". I also had a pair of L65s with a pair 126As I believe that had new sorrounds put in it by a "JBL Factory Tech". 3 of the 5 of these turned out with a very slight rub that eventualy could have destroyed the spider. The guys that work on JBLs regularly, or for any speaker manufacturer will have shims allready set aside for the job and are quite familar with them. These guys will have the odds on their side. There are techs on this board who will probably get it right 99% of the time but refuse to do it. They will only recone as JBL recommends. The jobs I had that were bad were corrected by a tech that is really good here locally, but he is backed up for 8 weeks. JBLDog uses the same guy also. He is a wizard. The point to this long winded post is that if you want it right, IMHO opinion forget it, let someone who has dealt with that same driver over and over do the job! I just had a pair of 136As refoamed and reguassed by OC speakers. The shipping killed Me but it was worth it. I told them if they couldn't get it perfect then recone it. It turned out great. I wouldn't want to risk the damage a bad job could do!

Well some people who have patience can do it and probably get it right. Not Me!
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 01-09-2004 at 06:54 PM.

It can't be sooo difficult as I did it many times

Rick Cobb delivered the foams

Good Luck

The LE8, LE10a and LE14a have relatively tight voice coil gaps that make re-surrounding a bit more of a challenge... but realistically, if you have a speaker repair tech with a steady, educated hand, it can be done reliably. I've done quite a few of these, and have always managed to get them right, except in a small handful of cases (where, I suspect, the coils were probably previously damaged due to being played extensively without intact surrounds).

Basically, I use a glue that is a slow-setup, that will give me time to "massage" the alignment, to get it right. I tend to use PVA type glue ("Elmer's Glue", etc), and do it in a two-step process- glue the surround to the backside of the cone first, then, do the final alignment when gluing the surround to the basket. I can usually do these, successfully, without even removing the dustcap, with this method. Sure, it's a minor PITA, but it works, as long as you're diligent and careful during the setup process, in keeping an eye on the alignment as curing progresses, and adjusting things accordingly before things set up hard.

Regards,
    Gordon.

I recently do the job on 2 pair of LE-10A/PR10 and foam surrounds from Rick COBB.The surround fits the basket but the convex part is not as larg as the original one(Less than 2mm)It 's quite easy to do if you follow the instructions send with the foam.I use a frequency generator to center the cone and it works well.No rub even when I push-pull the cone for long excursions.The hardest thing to do is the basket and cone cleaning that must be very well done.

In the late 80's ,I was used to send my drivers(AUDAX or JBL at the time)to a local or well known parisian tech center.Some of My drivers were returns with rub problems,even with new recone kit(Factory ones from JBL and AUDAX)I was told by the tech center it was because the gap was no more centered (Jbl le 5/8)or because the basket didn't fill the new recone kit(AUDAX HD33S66/PR330MO recone kit for those who knows).That was not true and the only thing I notice when thess drivers burned their voice-coil is that the cone wasn't centered.Some technician just didn't know how to do the job or did it bad.

Now I do it by myself after learning.I refoamed 2 pairs of LE14A,LE10A, PR10,SIARE 19TSP,PIONEER and YAMAHA 12" drivers,TANNOY 315HPD and I reconed 1 pair of AUDAX HD33S66,PR38S100,MHD17HR37TSM and others European drivers(When I can find the recone kit) like B&O alnico 8" drivers or BEYMA and RCF PA woofers.When the baskets and gaps are OK, you have no problems with it.:

Thread Information