Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Heather, the more I read your posts.......

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Aww - you're just jealous cause big time music isn't made by brits singing like fey jamaicans saying "oy, oy, oy" or "e-yo-ho" (The Police) ..

But I hear those old guys are coming back again!

Just kidding, I am not a fan of Rap - but I'll be honest, I was sitting in the CRV at the bank today while Emma ran in and got the money and James Brown, Livin' In America came on. I did kick on the subwoofer and crank it up - just like all the kids are doin' these days ... I mean, it was boom boom boom, and - Could god y'all! - It was JAMES BROWN!
    the more I like your style.

P.S. Even though we don't see eye to eye.

heather i think you just proved my point.james brown,known worldwide as the hardest working man in show biz,knew how to do it by working constantly to polish his stuff.he also surrounded himself with top notch players and worked them hard.i find it hard to imagine most of the rappers out there worthy of the fame and fortune that james brown EARNED.i know that you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek,and i read your posts with that in mind.............

A little off topic:

I saw a group named Goose Creek Symphony that opened for Steven Stills in Lexington Kentucky around 1979... This group was unbelievable! They put on one of the best shows I have ever seen... One guy was jamming down on an electric fiddle while he was riding a 10 to 12 foot high unicycle in circles around the speaker cabs...

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    james brown,known worldwide as the hardest working man in show biz,knew how to do it by working constantly to polish his stuff.
    died Xmas day , still not buried.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

cant stand Frank Marino - he's like Kenny G on a guitar.

Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush? I saw that band blow Blackmore's Rainbow out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush? I saw that band blow Blackmore's Rainbow out of the water.
    They were the warmup act for - either Hot Tuna or Roxy Music (yeah, one of THOSE kind of nights) at Lisner Auditorium. A nice, small acousticly happy space in DC enjoyed (Enjoyed Weather Report, Blind Boys, many acts there in much better fidelity).

Anyway, MahawgRush were so freakin' loud I had to leave the auditorium proper and wait in the lobby for their set to end. I knew I'd be half deaf for the main act if I stayed in there! Even the lobby was absurd loud. Not impressed at all.

Or - did you mean the OTHER Frank Marino that plays Vegas.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush?
    I think so. Could not get to the remote fast enough. Cant stand MahogRush either. 'bout as bad as Thin Lizzy.

I love Thin Lizzy, saw them several times.

I'll never forget, I was a bouncer for Jam Productions and at a Thin Lizzy--AC-DC show at Comiskey Park I gave a big Joe College jock an uppercut that lifted him right off his feet and landed him on his back. I couldn't believe it, he was the first person I'd labled in several years. I felt like Victor MacGlaglen.

You guys are not really putting effort into this

Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off.

In that vein, these are some of the "artists" who'll get me off the couch as if it was on fire:

Laurie Anderson - wtf ? is that singing or some kind of Tibetan sheep mating call ?

Yoko Ono - she's also pretty good at making sounds not normally associated with humans

Philip Glass Ensemble - from allmusic.com - "others hear it as numbingly repetitive and devoid of variety in its simplicity". It makes me want to wretch like a cat with a hairball...

John Tesh - Isn't one Yanni enough ?

I'll be damned if I'm going to see artists like Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Frank Marino bashed when there are so many more TRULY deserving "artists" out there.

Get real guys - and get some taste....

jblnut

C'mon - some folks might slam Captain Beefheart or Tom Waits - their vocal styling are definitely an acquired taste.

Floppy boots stomped Down!

I like Van Morrison, and own almost all of his stuff but some of his 90's output has some real - um, vocalizing, that was a tough listen if it wasn't so darned funny

I agree that Nyro and Oh-No! are pretty - um, quirky ... and def not in MY music collection!

But there is a lot of stuff that is popular that I'll never own - its not snobbery, I just flat don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off.

Get real guys - and get some taste....

jblnut
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off. jblnut
    YES , Mariah Carey , Kenny G , John Tesh , Michael Bolton , darned near any thing from the late 70's, ac/dc , arrowsmith was OK for a while , did I mention YES ? , Todd Rundgren , Van halen , Emimem , Celene Dion , YES , Black Sabbath , Bon Jovi , Def Leopard , Dr. Dre , Frank Zappa , Iron Maiden , Judas priest , YES , KISS, Madonna , Metallica , Motley Cru , Rod Stewart , Tool , Van Morrison (xcept with Them) , yanni and YES.

any more questions ?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    YES , Mariah Carey , Kenny G , John Tesh , Michael Bolton , darned near any thing from the late 70's, ac/dc , arrowsmith was OK for a while , did I mention YES ? , Todd Rundgren , Van halen , Emimem , Celene Dion , YES , Black Sabbath , Bon Jovi , Def Leopard , Dr. Dre , Frank Zappa , Iron Maiden , Judas priest , YES , KISS, Madonna , Metallica , Motley Cru , Rod Stewart , Tool , Van Morrison (xcept with Them) , yanni and YES.

any more questions ?

Yeah - what are you doing here? Your avatar is an Ohm F and your musical tastes are...somewhat suspect.

jblnut

Yeah - what are you doing here? Your avatar is an Ohm F and your musical tastes are...somewhat suspect.

jblnut
    so what.........i think its been established that ownership of jb's is not mandatory to be a member here and though my taste does not always parallel the wolfs i respect his opinion.are you sure you have the temprament and restraint that is required of the moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    You are welcome to disagree, but let's keep it civil.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    are you sure you have the temprament and restraint that is required of the moderators?
    well , I see where the nut part came from. Yeah, jblNUT, only 6 pairs of JBLs doesnt qualify me. I shud get an avatar of dogs or kids or a cat with a machine gun or something more to your liking ?

THERE YOU GO , JBLNUT..NEW AVATAR ..YOU FUGGIN HAPPY , NOW ??

Thread Information