Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 441

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

  1. #31
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Neil Young (without Crosby, Stills, and Nash). I just can't take his whining.
    for me neil young is a very regular play around here but i guess for some its an acquired taste.i find real voices to be interesting musically more than the polished "squeeze every note you ever even dreamed of into every single bar ala houston,dion,or every bit of emotion you can fake ala macdonald or bolton".the older i get the more i can appreciate the likes of sinatra,bennett,even tho i really dont care for the style they were just so good at it.as well some of the folks they played with were top notch.the kenny g's of this world just get in the way of the real guys

  2. #32
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,099
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    for me neil young is a very regular play around here but i guess for some its an acquired taste.
    yup , Neil sounds like a REAL PERSON, not some manufactured idol clone. His songwriting is first rate and he appears to sing of real causes.

    no , jim and seawolf are not the same person , tho our music collections sure do overlap

    Now Van Morrison , he's a channel switcher for me, except for the THEM stuff.
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  3. #33
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Wow, no wonder why I don't get along with any of you...

    I enjoy all the music you are listing as your favorite to hate.

    Oh well - I know what I like and I like what I know.



    -Storm.
    as time goes by your tastes change and grow.a lot of what i listened to back in the day is off the radar now but hopefully the real stuff remains.

  4. #34
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

    Oh well - I know what I like and I like what I know.

    swami jim sez that the road to enlightenment begins with an open mind.i know that i know way less than i used to think i knew.........

  5. #35
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I enjoy all the music you are listing as your favorite to hate.

    Oh well - I know what I like and I like what I know.



    -Storm.
    Me? I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk ...
    2ch: Oppo, JoLida 502CRC, JBL L212, 18ti,240ti; Heath AS101, Von Schweikert VR4
    7.1: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  6. #36
    Senior Member kingjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    chicago,IL
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    10 years ago , I wud have answered : Sinatra and Elvis. But recently have learned to appreciate their voices and production values. Still dont own any of their works , but I dont switch channels when they are on , either.
    Frank Sinatra, I don't like,and in our family we were told that we should like all Italian singers since we are Italians. I just didn't like his music no matter what he sang. Elvis,on the other hand could sing any kind of song and sing it well.

    I love Blues but hate Jazz
    I love Rock but hate Pop Rock
    I love Oldies but hate Big Band
    I love Disco but hate Techo
    I love R&B but hate Rap.

  7. #37
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,099
    He ain't an artist....but anytime HOWARD STERN is on anything, it gets turned OFF.
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  8. #38
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Frank Sinatra, I don't like,and in our family we were told that we should like all Italian singers since we are Italians. I just didn't like his music no matter what he sang. Elvis,on the other hand could sing any kind of song and sing it well.

    I love Blues but hate Jazz
    I love Rock but hate Pop Rock
    I love Oldies but hate Big Band
    I love Disco but hate Techo
    I love R&B but hate Rap.
    when you paint in really broad strokes you can miss out on some of the finer details.jazz comes almost directly from the blues and most players who attempt to play it know the value of studying the blues.sometimes even a barry manilow,who should be at the top of the list in this thread,surrounds himself with first call session players,so sometimes real music slips through.sometimes i listen to a really bad record just to catch a tasty bass line or sax solo.try finding out who the players you like on an album are and look for them on other projects.it can lead to great places.

  9. #39
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    He ain't an artist....but anytime HOWARD STERN is on anything, it gets turned OFF.
    res ipsa loquitor

  10. #40
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,099
    Johnny Winter
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  11. #41
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    cant say that i care for too much of johnny winter on album but live he kicks ass and takes names.i still rank astral weeks as a fave and as for the balance of the belfast cowpoke's catalog some i like and some i just cant get into.after just dropped in to see what condition my conditon was in i really cannot take kenny rogers,not even the chicken

  12. #42
    Senior Member JBLRaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ga.
    Posts
    1,176
    Bay City Rollers
    Kiss
    Twisted Sister
    Marilyn Manson
    Tiny Tim
    Air Supply
    Bread
    Gino Vannelli
    Ricky Martin
    Leif Garrett
    Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
    Jon Bon Jovi
    David Lee Roth
    Cat Stevens

  13. #43
    Senior Member jim campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg ,Siberia
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Bay City Rollers
    Kiss
    Twisted Sister
    Marilyn Manson
    Tiny Tim
    Air Supply
    Bread
    Gino Vannelli
    Ricky Martin
    Leif Garrett
    Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
    Jon Bon Jovi
    David Lee Roth
    Cat Stevens
    well i'll trade cat stevens for cheap trick and you gotta deal

  14. #44
    Senior Member kingjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    chicago,IL
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    when you paint in really broad strokes you can miss out on some of the finer details.jazz comes almost directly from the blues and most players who attempt to play it know the value of studying the blues.sometimes even a barry manilow,who should be at the top of the list in this thread,surrounds himself with first call session players,so sometimes real music slips through.sometimes i listen to a really bad record just to catch a tasty bass line or sax solo.try finding out who the players you like on an album are and look for them on other projects.it can lead to great places.

    I couldn't agree with you more, Jim. I have done this on occasion with great success.

    I know Jazz and Blues are somewhat alike but for some reason I just can't get used to Jazz.

    When I say I hate some type of music I am just generalizing, there are a few songs that I like from every category that I said I hated.

  15. #45
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,099
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Bay City Rollers
    Kiss
    Twisted Sister
    Marilyn Manson
    Tiny Tim
    Air Supply
    Bread
    Gino Vannelli
    Ricky Martin
    Leif Garrett
    Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
    Jon Bon Jovi
    David Lee Roth
    Cat Stevens
    I'll trade ALL the American Idol Winners for Cat Stevens...
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What's your kind of music?
    By Hofmannhp in forum Music
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 01:39 AM
  2. Will the real tweeter foam rings please stand up
    By Wardsweb in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 05:06 PM
  3. Speaker Stand for 4344M
    By ehlim in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
  4. Stand recommendation for Altec "BIG RED" needed
    By Guy L in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •