Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Well, any Doors album excels the outputs of either 'American' FM and JS !

Best regards!

Fleetwood Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Fleetwood Mac. They clearly present two rather different sides of the medal. The first one was the 'British', blues influenced one with good melodies and deep lyrics, which I definitely admire. Thumbs up for these. But in the late 1970ies the other side was shown, most probably due to personnel changes. They consequently converted to a blatant pop outfit that is streamlined to the huge US mass market. Musical quality decreased the same way as quantity/sales numbers increased. Nothing challenging, nothing that seizes my brain any more, just simple rhythm patterns and easily listenable tunes. Hardly to discern from other pop outfits like Bananarama, Heart, Bangles etc. Two or more thumbs down!

Best regards!
    OH WELL, agreed!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The test of time!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Jefferson Airplane then on to Jefferson Starship did just about the same thing as FM.
    The departure of Peter Green , Danny Kirwin and then the addition of others radically changed FM into something that I no longer cared for. Rather went from a guitar driven band to a female vocal driven one. Sell out ??

Even the same transformation happened (to a lesser degree) to Santana after 3 great albums. The Doors kinda went towards the softer route after success , getting away from the style that established them.
    The question is: will their music withstand the test of time or not? Who is going to listen to these recordings in about 100 years? What do people like in 200 years? Oh, no, what shocking thoughts....
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

don't ask me what I think of you I might not give the answer that you want me to

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    OH WELL, agreed!
    free association here.

OH WELL. Do you know abt OH WELL parts 1 & 2 on the album ?

Green revealed in a 1994 interview that he wrote "Oh Well Part 2" first, intending to release the song as the A-side. Inspired by some Spanish guitar playing he heard on the radio, he purchased a Ramirez Spanish guitar specifically for "Oh Well Part 2". Soon after, he wrote "Part 1" as a throwaway riff for the B-side. "Part 1" ended up on the A side against Green's wishes, and became a worldwide hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Well_(song)

The question is: will their music withstand the test of time or not? Who is going to listen to these recordings in about 100 years? What do people like in 200 years? Oh, no, what shocking thoughts....
    who cares Most of us will have turned to dust by then.

The Beatles hoped to make it 3-4 years before they'd be forgotten.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

OH WELL - great song and great inspiration to many other rock artists. Most prominent should be LZ's Black Dog. Feel free to compare!

Best regards!

45rpm OH WELL

free association here.

Green revealed in a 1994 interview that he wrote "Oh Well Part 2" first, intending to release the song as the A-side. Inspired by some Spanish guitar playing he heard on the radio, he purchased a Ramirez Spanish guitar specifically for "Oh Well Part 2". Soon after, he wrote "Part 1" as a throwaway riff for the B-side. "Part 1" ended up on the A side against Green's wishes, and became a worldwide hit

I own a mishandled 45rpm (rats, mice and dogs had their fun with it in the discotheque "Blow Up" in Zürich near the Bahnhofstrasse), but i have also fun with it, because it sounds sooo great. Hey, we used to dance to this one! Listen loud!

45rpm OH WELL

free association here.

I own a mishandled 45rpm (rats, mice and dogs had their fun with it in the discotheque "Blow Up" in Zürich near the Bahnhofstrasse), but i have also fun with it, because it sounds sooo great on 45rpm. Hey, we used to dance to this one! Listen loud!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Master of rip off

OH WELL - great song and great inspiration to many other rock artists. Most prominent should be LZ's Black Dog. Feel free to compare!

Best regards!

Doubtless, Jimmy Page was the master of rip off. Every Led Zeppelin song was a cleverly made rip off. This fact is not uninteresting for blues afficionados. JP was the most versatile studio guitar player in England in those colorful late 60ies. A very inspired young musician. Undoubtedly he had that extraordinary talent in rock history we needed then ...
    By the way, does anybody know the origin of OH WELL?

By the way, does anybody know the origin of OH WELL?
    ummm. see ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post422219

"Oh Well" is a song first recorded by Fleetwood Mac in 1969, composed by vocalist and lead guitarist Peter Green. It first appeared as a Fleetwood Mac single in various countries in 1969 and subsequently appeared on revised versions of that year's Then Play On album

This Peter Green-led edition of the Mac isn't just an important transition between their initial blues-based incarnation and the mega-pop band they became, it's also their most vital, exciting version. The addition of Danny Kirwan as second guitarist and songwriter foreshadows not only the soft-rock terrain of "Bare Trees" and "Kiln House" with Christine Perfect-McVie, but also predicts Rumours. That only pertains to roughly half of the also excellent material here, though; the rest is quintessential Green. The immortal "Oh Well," with its hard-edged, thickly layered guitars and chamber-like sections, is perhaps the band's most enduring progressive composition. "Rattlesnake Shake" is another familiar number, a down-and-dirty, even-paced funk, with clean, wall-of-sound guitars. Choogling drums and Green's fiery improvisations power "Searching for Madge," perhaps Mac's most inspired work save "Green Manalishi," and leads into an unlikely symphonic interlude and the similar, lighter boogie "Fighting for Madge." A hot Afro-Cuban rhythm with beautiful guitars from Kirwan and Green on "Coming Your Way" not only defines the Mac's sound, but the rock aesthetic of the day. Of the songs with Kirwan's stamp on them, "Closing My Eyes" is a mysterious waltz love song; haunting guitars approach surf music on the instrumental "My Dream"; while "Although the Sun Is Shining" is the ultimate pre-Rumours number someone should revisit. Blues roots still crop up on the spatial, loose, Hendrix-tinged "Underway," the folky "Like Crying," and the final outcry of the ever-poignant "Show Biz Blues," with Green moaning "do you really give a damn for me?" Then Play On is a reminder of how pervasive and powerful Green's influence was on Mac's originality and individual stance beyond his involvement. Still highly recommended and a must-buy after all these years, it remains their magnum opus. ~ Michael G. Nastos

The Deep Secret Behind Peter Green's “Magic” 1959 Les Paul Tone

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/dee...-les-paul-tone

more that sold out

Chicago Transit Authority, which was the name of their first album.

They shortened their name after the actual Chicago transit authority objected, and began releasing albums with their name followed by a roman numeral (Chicago II, Chicago III, Chicago IV, etc.).

They did this throughout their career, even as they morphed from horn-driven rock to adult contemporary ballads ("Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry," "Baby What A Big Surprise") in the '80s.

Chicago Transit Authority was a fine album (with exceptions) . When they went mainstream, the only cut that resonated with me was "Feelin' Stronger Every Day".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRjA_yZEHA

Peter Green/Gary Moore

The Deep Secret Behind Peter Green's “Magic” 1959 Les Paul Tone

The mystery of the sound lies in the reversed zebra-pickups. Gary Moore sold the Peter Green guitar to earn money for his lawyers and the costs of a divorce. Now the guitar is locked in a bank safe. What a sacrifice. Sad,sad, sad. (P.S. at least, i have the chance to play one of those Gary Moore Gibson Les Paul Special guitars: great sound, but not easy to play!)

No authority anymore

Chicago Transit Authority, which was the name of their first album.

They shortened their name after the actual Chicago transit authority objected, and began releasing albums with their name followed by a roman numeral (Chicago II, Chicago III, Chicago IV, etc.).

They did this throughout their career, even as they morphed from horn-driven rock to adult contemporary ballads ("Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry," "Baby What A Big Surprise") in the '80s.

Chicago Transit Authority was a fine album (with exceptions) . When they went mainstream, the only cut that resonated with me was "Feelin' Stronger Every Day".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRjA_yZEHA
    After 40 years there are more than 50 LPs of Chicago stored in my vinyl LP rack. It's a source of hidden gems to discover. Many years, many LPs. It's all too much for me to take the love that's shining all around you... An overdose!

Yes, Chicago started as an ambitoned jazz rock band, but turned into a commercial one. Very similar to Blood, Sweat & Tears, btw.

Otoh, The Flock was a band that preferred to fold instead of succumbing to such a transition. I love both their albums (The Flock, Dinosaur Swamps) they've recorded! Listen to their rendition of The Kinks' Tired Of Waiting (would fit also to the Better than the original branch )!

Best regards!

Tired of waiting

Yes, Chicago started as an ambitoned jazz rock band, but turned into a commercial one. Very similar to Blood, Sweat & Tears, btw.

Otoh, The Flock was a band that preferred to fold instead of succumbing to such a transition. I love both their albums (The Flock, Dinosaur Swamps) they've recorded! Listen to their rendition of The Kinks' Tired Of Waiting (would fit also to the Better than the original branch )!

Best regards!

No, the Kinks are the absolute winner because Jerry Goodman is mishandling his violin in the intro of "Tired of waiting". But, admitted, it's an interesting version of the song. In a rough woodchopper style! Jerry Goodman played the best rock music violin, indeed. But the violin is predominant for my ears who had to listen to my dubious violin exercises during 10 years. The Kinks always had some sense of humor in their performances... By the way, look at the false credits for this song on label A of this Holland pressing.

Weak point of The Flock

Best regards!

The weak point of The Flock's "Dinosaur Swamp" is the vocals and the overdose of violin tunes. The horns are fantastic...

Thread Information