Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

opimax, not really too familiar with yes so cant comment beyond whats played on mainstream radio (which always plays the lamest songs from any artist) but I remember this song that I heard in the indie film bufffalo 66 "Heart Of The Sunrise" and the bass is just incredible, they could have turned that into a whole jam 15+mins.
    I'd heard that the only real working phaser/taser (whatever they called them on star trek, not a trekkie) was used to keep William Shatner from making another record

Rich! I am sorry! but must stick to my original post, me personally no dig flute in rock, cow bell, well, thats another story, even Christopher Walken cant get enough of them and if you were here Id have to decline your gracious challenge, unless you could make it in the afternoon, I hate doing anything at dawn

Its interesting to see what some people really do not like, I can understand bob dylan (his voice is something else alright, but his lirycs are fantastic IMO). CCR, could never imagine that someone wouldnt like them, but music is such a personal thing. I think I read a few posts back Mr.Seawolf mentioning gaucho and two against nature, I, like everyone dig aja but can no longer listen to it, OD'd. gaucho took a while to really get into it propper now I love it, just wish Mark Knopfler would have been featured on more of it, "my rival" is so funky. two against nature takes a little getting used to but sounds great and do like it a lot. Calssic Steely dan is more like Royal scam, coundown to ecstasy (Rick Driinger playing slide on showbiz kids, tsssss, hot!) and Katy lied. Saw Donald Fagen coming out of Grays papaya on w72nd (the man can appreciate a good hot dog) a few years back and shook his hand and told him something like get on with it, probably tought I was nuts, didnt say much cept thank you!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I think I read a few posts back Mr.Seawolf mentioning gaucho and two against nature, I, like everyone dig aja but can no longer listen to it, OD'd. gaucho took a while to really get into it propper now I love it, just wish Mark Knopfler would have been featured on more of it, "my rival" is so funky. two against nature takes a little getting used to but sounds great and do like it a lot. Calssic Steely dan is more like Royal scam, coundown to ecstasy (Rick Driinger playing slide on showbiz kids, tsssss, hot!) and Katy lied.
    have you tried "Everything Must Go" ....I think its their best in a long time.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

all modern R&B like beyonce.
    almost all rap. like 50ct.

further more i think most classical music is highly overrated.
    if you dont like beethoven your to stupid to understand it seems to be the rule over here.
    some parts of opera are realy breath taking but they last just for a few minutes. should you listen to 3 hours of semi good music to enjoy that?

glam rock also very very bad.

and from the time my children were born ive been confronted with the worst crap that you can think of.
    in holland we have k3 . three girls who strted out in bikini but then figured their music was so infantiel that they were better of charching 40 euro's to let the children and theirr unfortunate parents come to a show with lots of dressing up and extremely happy tunes
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Mr.Seawolf, just pulled the trigger on it "used" on amamzon, I only rarely buy new these days. 2003 release, its been a while since I looked up their new offerings, looking forward to it.
    But, just to keep in the spirit of things and this thread I must mention something that I dislike and will probably offend someone (not intentionally) lets see, who do i really dislike, Duran Duran, that'll do. The Bay City Rollers,well, after seeing Mike Meyers in "Honey I Married an Axe Murderer" I just cant hate them, the scene of him dancing aroung to saturday night is just too endearing and reedemed them in my eyes, also in that movie, hearing rod stewart's do you think im sexy being played on a bagpipe (including the solo) just kills me, thats just way too funny.

Greyhound, "all modern R&B like beyonce." I hear you my friend! I think all that stuff is just churned out in some werehouse in some undisclosed location, no substance, and that seems to be the predicament in most genre's. That's how I came into jazz many years ago, could not stand the stuff being played on popular radio any more, I rarely listen to radio, i get a headache, too many commercials and wont pay for satelite radio cant do it!
    Just Play Music.

we have a lot of alternative stations that avoid the comercial nonsense.
    internet radio is also worth checking out.

during the day i listen to arrow classic rock. lots of seventees music

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Mr.Seawolf, just pulled the trigger on it "used" on amamzon, I only rarely buy new these days. 2003 release, its been a while since I looked up their new offerings, looking forward to it.
    That's how I came into jazz many years ago,
    glad you picked up "EMG" , last weekend I was at GW and picked up the LP of "Child is Father to the Man" ...much different than later BST ..Al Kooper was quite soulfull and the horns are very jazzy ...

(In 2003, the album was ranked number 264 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.)

you can get snippets at... http://www.thestore24.com/Music/Albu...did=SNY63987.2

try Somethin' Goin' On - 8:00

Rush

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    My problem with Rush is the lead singer , not esp the guitar. Cant stand his voice and inflections.

Foghat also.
    aHa ! I felt 'eggzaktly' the same as you about Rush ! especially Geddy Lee's vocals !! Until ......
    They were in concert in Columbus Sept.2007 for a local radio station birthday bash. I went to the concert mainly for the birthday bash and came out with totally different regard for Rush.
    My gawd, Those guys can play ! what musicians !

In my opinion, if you listen to 'later' Rush stuff from the 80's, 90's, he has toned down the vocals and is very listenable. I suggest borrowing someone's copy of Rush gold, and it's a double CD, and listen to the second CD only. It's all of Rush's later tunes, and I'll bet you'll change your mind. Maybe you still won't be a 'fan' of theirs, but the vocals you'll rethink somewhat. Do it and let me know what you think !

Foghat ? They had two tunes I really liked, but nothing else .
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

YES , Mariah Carey , Kenny G , John Tesh , Michael Bolton , darned near any thing from the late 70's, ac/dc , arrowsmith was OK for a while , did I mention YES ? , Todd Rundgren , Van halen , Emimem , Celene Dion , YES , Black Sabbath , Bon Jovi , Def Leopard , Dr. Dre , Frank Zappa , Iron Maiden , Judas priest , YES , KISS, Madonna , Metallica , Motley Cru , Rod Stewart , Tool , Van Morrison (xcept with Them) , yanni and YES.

any more questions ?
    Seawolf, I take it you don't like classic rock, period ? My gawd man! what are you thinking ? Many of these bands you have mentioned in your posts, have been some of the most popular bands of all time. Did I mention Rock n Roll Hall of Famers ? Did I mention highly ranked in VH1's top 100 bands of all time ? Aerosmith ? Black Sabbath ? Def Leppard ? Judas Priest ? Metallica ? Gawd I could go on and on with your dislikes. Some I totally agree with, but by looking at all of the bands you've bashed, if I were you i'd totally stay away from rock music period.

KISS is an interesting one. They admit themselves that they're not talented- vocals or musicianship, but damned, they had some enjoyable material, and were they fun to watch in concerts!! Obviously many rock fans thought the same, because their albums outsold almost everyone back in their hey-day. The most popular band in the world. They're not in the hall of fame yet, but how can the HOF avoid them and their impact on rock fans of the 70's ? I'll admit that I disliked Kiss back then, but I've changed my mind completely in the last ten years, and I'll never miss a concert of theirs ! They are entertainers ! Lighten up a little bit and listen again. Take a less serious approach to their music and be entertained.
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

eminem and frank zappa in one sentence.
    youre joking right

tool and celine dion?
    please give me a break

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    eminem and frank zappa in one sentence
    Yeah, who would go around disrespecting eminem like that? That's man!

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    eminem and frank zappa in one sentence.
    youre joking right

tool and celine dion?
    please give me a break
    Hey Zappa did some really cool stuff at times, other times - well, the man was too busy puttin' us on - lets just say some times his sense of parody got in the way of the music. I have maybe a dozen or so zappa albums, so I'm not the fan that some of you are, but - there was a real meaning to the phrase "Shut up and play yer guitar". (and yeah, I liked Gran Wazoo and some of the orchestral stuff ...) ...

Celine, Cher, not goin' there ... (not in my collection)
    M&M - nah, no thanks ...

but don't be poopin' on Van the Man ...I got nearly ALL of his stuff
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

A mountain is something you don't want to....with

Billy the mountain got me fired from boy scout camp due to "not so PC lyrics" in 1974...he sure could play guitar though. And funny enough I was dating a Magdalena but never got her up against the wall though...:o)

I just drove 3100 miles listening to the SORRY state of commercial FM radio on the entire east coast.

Seems like a new WAY over-processed classic rock ( the same 200 tunes played over and over ) format is the norm and with computer-controlled playlists on chain stations, you are assured the same queen song in 5 states 4X a day. The same steely dan song. The same zepplin song...and so on and so on...you can set your watch to LA woman...

WHY some "wet behind the ears" tech decides that pulling the cymbals and organ tracks to the same level as the dominant vocals is "good" for listening is beyond me. I just love to hear the gain-riding final output expander / compressor fight to pull the piano form the noise floor on Tull's locomotive breath and then go into WTF mode when the guitar starts....it RUINS the whole feeling.

...sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    In that vein, these are some of the "artists" who'll get me off the couch as if it was on fire:

Laurie Anderson - wtf ? is that singing or some kind of Tibetan sheep mating call ?

Yoko Ono - she's also pretty good at making sounds not normally associated with humans

John Tesh - Isn't one Yanni enough ?

Grace Slick is capable of some pretty weird sounds also

Quote Originally Posted by dllyons View Post
    Seawolf, I take it you don't like classic rock, period ? My gawd man! what are you thinking ?.
    check the "whats Playing now" thread, you may want to modify that statement. Most of those groups were 70's , which is generally regarded as the "Black Hole" of rock..very little of significance emerged from that time period (yes, there are some exceptions)

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    but don't be poopin' on Van the Man ...I got nearly ALL of his stuff
    I did say that I liked Van when he was with "THEM" ...I think we'll have to agree to disagree on him.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

from reviewing this thread, it looks like KENNY G is the runaway winner (loser ??) with Michael Bolton and John Tesh fighting for 2nd...and Yanni/Celine close behind.

well i guess bands like led zepelin, pink floyd, deep purple, the who, ramones, queen, creedance clearwater r, rolling stones, genesis, david bowie, bob dylan,king crimson,zappa etc etc
    were some of those exeptions then?

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    I just drove 3100 miles listening to the SORRY state of commercial FM radio on the entire east coast.

Seems like a new WAY over-processed classic rock ( the same 200 tunes played over and over ) format is the norm and with computer-controlled playlists on chain stations, you are assured the same queen song in 5 states 4X a day. The same steely dan song. The same zepplin song...and so on and so on...you can set your watch to LA woman...
    ...sigh...
    Amen to that Subwoof! I've been jaded for years on radio , it just sucks, I wish pirate radio would make a comeback or something equally refreshing. I cannot listen to it, & I try, at least once a week. I just loathe the commercials, way too aggressive. XM radio seems too idealized & therefore not like radio at all to me.

from reviewing this thread, it looks like KENNY G is the runaway winner (loser ??) with Michael Bolton and John Tesh fighting for 2nd...and Yanni/Celine close behind.
    SMKSoundpro! you see Scotty, no need to worry about Kenny G entering anyone's home, its unanimous!
    I think he's on the public conciousness cause he was featured on CBS's Sunday Morning this pas weekend, sorry, wasnt watching. It does beg the question though, someone out there really likes him, Im thingking old ladies and elevator music publishing companies.
    Laurie Anderson, I like her, she's way out there, I mean way out, probably better live, still I can see why people woulndt like her. Cant please everyone all the time!
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information