Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

I'll keep my wonderful memories of pompous stadium rock with PF, thank you very much. Both the Delicate Sound and Division Bell tours were among the most amazing live shows I have ever seen. The sonics were tremendous, the lighting amazing and Gilmour's guitar sound...like nothing I have ever heard before or since.

You can have your acid-laced incoherent early PF albums...no thanks.

:-)

jblnut

Stand or understand?

It's not the question if i can stand "Jefferson Starship" or not. In fact i can't UNDERstand the motivation of these superb musicians to produce this synthesizer-Lynn drum-polluted "middle of the road" productions. Over-and mis-produced by Ron Nevison and Peter Wolf. The vocals of Grace Slick are monotonous and lacking character. Assembly line production for the big US music market. I can't stand any uninspired and dumb bombastic music. Even the art work on inner sleeve is stupid. Consequently Kantner left after this one. Sadly too late. We don't need a starship lacking a competent commander if we can fly in an airplane with superb pilots.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Assembly line production for the big US music market. I can't stand any uninspired and dumb bombastic music.
    Well said !

Could also be applied to PF from The Dark Side Of The Moon on .

Perhaps we'd better enjoy this one:

Name:  20161020_104138.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  67.4 KB

Best regards!

Gunter Hampel, Enfant Terrible, 1975, Birth Germany, 0025

In general: Free Jazz is an "enfant terrible"! I can't stand this cacophony even for 2 or 3 minutes. Live is too short to listen to an album like that. My ears say NO! My brain says NO. My wife says NO!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

John Paul Jones screams for help.

Everything this man did SOLO is nearly unbearable. In this Original Soundtrack he screams for help drowning underneath mountains of synthesizers. Squeaking Jon Anderson came quickly for support. John Paul Jones plus Jon Anderson: both together hysterically screaming for help. The help by Jimmy Page, Madeline Bell and John Renbourne was useless. Help!

Just heard it at German radio station NDR1 while we were dining at the balcony: Christopher Cross !

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. All in all, exactly the same arguments that have been said before about/against Jefferson Starship .

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Just heard it at German radio station NDR1 while we were dining at the balcony: Christopher Cross !

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least.
    I suppose to assess "any demand" you'd better ask the German radio station that is resurrecting 40-year-old American hits! How old are you? Ever heard of "nostalgia"? One of the reasons some of us enjoy 50-year-old underpowered German cars that rust so badly, at night you can hear the tin-worms working on their chassis. Simpler times. Good memories?

Certainly time and musical tastes have passed him by but, at the time:
    Cross released his self-titled debut album,
    Christopher Cross, in 1979. The Billboard Hot 100 top 20 hits from this album included "Ride Like the Wind" (featuring backing vocals by Michael McDonald), "Sailing", "Never Be the Same", and "Say You'll Be Mine" (featuring backing vocals by Nicolette Larson). . . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony, bringing home Record of the Year ("Sailing"), Album of the Year (Christopher Cross), Song of the Year ("Sailing"), and Best New Artist at the 23rd Annual Grammy Awards

Or maybe we welcome any opportunity to listen to Nicolette—may she rest in peace.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony,,,
    so,,,,,, by that logic .... awards=quality

IF I were so inclined to search for it, there may be great artists that we love who have zero grammys.

Milli Vanilli became one of the most popular pop acts in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with millions of records sold. However, their success quickly turned to infamy when Morvan, Pilatus, and their agent Sergio Vendero confessed that Morvan and Pilatus did not sing any of the vocals heard on their music releases. The duo ended up giving back the Grammy Award for Best New Artist.

this is a personal opinion thread, not a what artist has the most or biggest, thread.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I should have expected you'd take issue with any reply from me. I'll say "blue", you'd say "green".

My response was to Kay's question "is there any demand for it...", rhetorical, or not.

Obviously there was, and apparently still is—judging by the fact that a German radio station is playing it today.

Not a favorite group of mine, or artist, and not opposing them being nominated for this thread. Just a reply.

Carry on.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Certainly time and musical tastes have passed him by but, at the time:
    Cross released his self-titled debut album,
    Christopher Cross, in 1979. The Billboard Hot 100 top 20 hits from this album included "Ride Like the Wind" (featuring backing vocals by Michael McDonald), "Sailing", "Never Be the Same", and "Say You'll Be Mine" (featuring backing vocals by Nicolette Larson). . . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony, bringing home Record of the Year ("Sailing"), Album of the Year (Christopher Cross), Song of the Year ("Sailing"), and Best New Artist at the 23rd Annual Grammy Awards
    Grammy awards (same as academy awards, btw) are given just for maximum sales numbers, aren't they? That is, the probability of achieving such an award is just a factor of how one manages to adress the mass audiences, of how close his/her product is to the mainstream? Do you presume that the masses have any clue about musical/artistic quality? That they are even able, or willing, to listen to music concentratedly? So, are Grammy awards really a benchmark when it goes to quality? It's the quality vs. quantity debate, isn't it?

Yes, the mentioned German radio station adresses the mainstream, and only that one. It's really not what we call a cultural channel with demanding, intelligent contents.

And Ride Like The Wind: There's just nothing happening in this one! Nothing that adresses the brain directly.

Best regards!

Christopher Cross, Another Page, 1983, WB Germany, 92.3757-1

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. All in all, exactly the same arguments that have been said before about/against Jefferson Starship .

Best regards!

Pop for the masses. Throwaway mentality. Another pink MOR production for the incredibly huge US music market. Even the guitar solos of Steve Lukather in "All right" B1 and Cross himself in "Words of wisdom" B5 are impersonal mass products. Two main problems: 1.) eunuch vocals 2.) produced by Michael Omartian.
    Typical smooth pop production of the 80ies. One of those LPs i can't stand listening for more than one or two tracks. "Words of wisdom" speaks for itself: "I can hear your voice and i have no choice.....". But the front cover art shows a real beauty. That's why i will keep this one...

I swear: Never ever will I throw any money out of the window for Cristopher Crap/Cross!

Best regards!

My response was to Kay's question "is there any demand for it...", ....

Carry on.
    seems like maybe the whole sentence wasn't read ?? (a reply that wasn't needed ??)

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. !
    I doubt that anyone "demanded it" , rather .. stations just have "airtime" to fill and lots of "filler" gets played despite no demand (except in elevators )

I should have expected you'd take issue with any reply from me. I'll say "blue", you'd say "green".
    that one is backwards

Grammy awards (same as academy awards, btw) are given just for maximum sales numbers, aren't they? That is, the probability of achieving such an award is just a factor of how one manages to adress the mass audiences, of how close his/her product is to the mainstream? Do you presume that the masses have any clue about musical/artistic quality? That they are even able, or willing, to listen to music concentratedly? So, are Grammy awards really a benchmark when it goes to quality? It's the quality vs. quantity debate, isn't it?

Yes, the mentioned German radio station adresses the mainstream, and only that one. It's really not what we call a cultural channel with demanding, intelligent contents.

Best regards!
    Pop for the masses. Throwaway mentality. Another pink MOR production for the incredibly huge US music market.
    I swear: Never ever will I throw any money out of the window for Cristopher Crap/Cross!

Best regards!
    appears nearly unanimous agreement on lack of demand for CC musik.

I just checked my iTunes library and only found 1 CC song ... "Sailing", which was "OK" back in the day (to help you sleep). It did not get transferred to my little bike riding buddy Nano tho.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Everything this man did SOLO is nearly unbearable.
    In summer '17 we saw JPJ live and open air performing with a bunch of Norwegian musicians at Wuerzburg, Germany. As LZ fan, I had certain expectations for sure. What a dissapointment! The music we heard was cacophony, at it's best. Synthesizers, synthesizers, and synthesizers, drum machine, and some alienated, ugly distorted bass guitar. We left, together with many others, during the break inmidst the set. I guess the remainig audience was not more than half as it was at the beginning. No thanks, never will see him again.

OTOH, I appreciate his work as a member of LZ (with the exception of ITTOD...).

Best regards!

A burnt letter for "Dear John" Paul Jones

In summer '17 we saw JPJ live and open air performing with a bunch of Norwegian musicians at Wuerzburg, Germany. As LZ fan, I had certain expectations for sure. What a dissapointment! The music we heard was cacophony, at it's best. Synthesizers, synthesizers, and synthesizers, drum machine, and some alienated, ugly distorted bass guitar. We left, together with many others, during the break inmidst the set. I guess the remainig audience was not more than half as it was at the beginning. No thanks, never will see him again.

OTOH, I appreciate his work as a member of LZ (with the exception of ITTOD...).

Best regards!
    Robert Plant is capable to respect his own limits. That's why he refuses to accompany once again Led Zeppelin things. Wise approach!

Thread Information