Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    If anyone really wants my opinion, ask for it.
    I'll bite Let's hear it...

It's funny that you said what you did considering that I was just contemplating starting a thread on "Most Embarrassing Pieces in your Music Collection." I've seen a lot of favorite/least favorite responses, but I'd be interested to see what folks have that might be shame-inducing guilty pleasures. Could be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    It's funny that you said what you did considering that I was just contemplating starting a thread on "Most Embarrassing Pieces in your Music Collection." I've seen a lot of favorite/least favorite responses, but I'd be interested to see what folks have that might be shame-inducing guilty pleasures. Could be interesting...
    Great idea! I must have some real garbage lurking. The thing is, I don't listen to it anymore. Perhaps as senility intrudes I will get some "full circle" action. I was a teeney bopper for about six months and I must still have my Sonny & Cher vinyl around in the basement. If I lose enough brain cells it might regain appeal. It would be as exciting as listening to the sump pump run...

I admit I hold vocalists to a higher standard than other musicians. I like darn few and tend to favor content and expression over great pipes. So Bob Dylan and Neil Young I like despite their poor vocal gifts. Ella Fitzgerald is way too cute for my Jazz tastes. Whitney Houston has world class vocal cords and taste in music equal to her taste in spouses and drugs. Frank Sinatra I find a one trick pony and too prone to schmaltz. His phrasing and swing were tepid, always the same, and boring. His dynamics were almost nonexistent. *

Some vocalists have it all, great voices and fascinating presentation. The problem is, we never hear of most of them. Maria Pia De Vito, anyone? How about the singer in Berlin, Terri Nunn? Great voice, and a powerful, expressive, versatile singer. Everyone hated Berlin, so she stayed under the radar. Music is also a business, so the cream seldom rises to the top.

Classic Rock... there must be some pearls in there, but give me some time. The saying "If it sells it smells" comes to mind. I will say some of the Stones' stuff is great, as is some of the Grateful Dead catalog. Even Journey had some truly memorable songs where singing and playing was epic. What is hard is to point to a Classic Rock body of work. Between bad drumming, bad singing, uninspired formulaic guitar and bass playing, and meager writing skills, it is a stretch to come up with strong legacies. Perversely, there was enough mediocrity to go around and few bands were not infected.

Some individuals stand out. My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells). Actually, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Neil Young , too. Notice the Mac era cited. The Buckingham Nicks incarnation was way more popular than talented. I notice that the recollection of how good music was is heavily colored by nostalgia. A huge factor in the enjoyment of Rock and Pop.

*The band era that backed him and his kind was a very, very low point in the history of instrumental music. It was mostly inspired by the majority of work done by Count Basie, the king of highbrow schmaltz. Dance music in general makes for poor sit-down-and-listen-to-it fare, and Basie is no exception. I was quite taken with a few periods in his history, but most I literally can't listen to it.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Great idea! I must have some real garbage lurking.
    You and I both - I think I will start that thread after all

Whitney Houston has world class vocal cords and taste in music equal to her taste in spouses and drugs.
    I think you mean had great vocals before her penchant for drugs eroded them. Then again, if I was married to Bobby Brown, I'd be snorting anything and everything in sight. Just remember kids: Crack is cheap - real stars only do drugs that can be ingested with the aid of a rolled up hundred dollar bill.

I admit I hold vocalists to a higher standard than other musicians. I like darn few and tend to favor content and expression over great pipes. So Bob Dylan and Neil Young I like despite their poor vocal gifts. Ella Fitzgerald is way too cute for my Jazz tastes.
    I'm with you on this one. For example, Al Stewart is a favorite of mine - nasally, odd sounding voice, but I like the content and delivery. With Jazz, I run the gamut. I like some Ella (her version of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered is a favorite) but I wouldn't rank her up there with say Nina Simone.

Music is also a business, so the cream seldom rises to the top.
    Sad but true. But that's more a commentary on the masses buying records than the industry. If there was a demand for quality, surely there'd be a greater supply.

Classic Rock... there must be some pearls in there, but give me some time.
    Heart comes to mind - personal favorite of mine. They could move effortlessly between aggressive rock and gentle ballads, and I'm particularly fond of Ann Wilson's vocals. They're also better live than in a studio (if you can get your hands on it, check out their live version of Rock and Roll - it's electrifying.) Of course, they sold out in the 80's, but in the later 90's they released some decent stuff. The Traveling Wilburys was an amazing confluence of talent, though not sure if they would count as "classic rock."

I notice that the recollection of how good music was is heavily colored by nostalgia.
    Or drugs - either way...

That being said, thanks for sharing. You sound like you have a very solid grasp on music and highly discerning tastes. As I'm always looking to add to my collection and discover new artists and genres, I enjoy your insight.

Best,
    - Mike

Boy Bands!
    Boy...I dunt know!

Flying RuddyDucks
    Purple Turtles
    OZBANGO
    FREDDY FINEGOLD & THE PISTERS

and the worst:

HEADSCRATCHERS!

My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells).
    So are you a Ford fan too?

You mentioned Journey. I saw the band many times when I was a bouncer for Jam and they never failed to put on a proficient show, they were troupers as the saying went. And Steve Perry's live singing was as good as anyone's---he was a true singer who sang from the chest (I hate "neck" singers) with tremendous power and clarity, he made it look easy. I think Perry could'a sang anything.

I gotta say, this Adam Lambert guy on American Idol can SING and he's a showman and entertainer too.

Damien Rice. I've slit my wrists so many times they are now growed over with kevlar...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Some individuals stand out. My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells).
    Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube.

Actually, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
    The Green Manalishi is just one of my favorite songs, but I confess the Judas Priest cover is more my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    So are you a Ford fan too?
    For sure. My Darling Clementine has the best look of any western I have ever seen, a powerful argument for black and white cinematography. The pacing and Americana are unforgettable. They Were Expendable is as powerful as any other great anti war film (like All Quiet On The Western Front, Paths Of Glory and Cross Of Iron). How Green Was My Valley is on the ten best list of most viewers who have ever seen it. It would be easy to come up with twenty more favorites! And to think he lost one eye filming the battle of Midway, the pivotal battle of the war. I'm glad he didn't lose the other one too.

You mentioned Journey. I saw the band many times when I was a bouncer for Jam and they never failed to put on a proficient show, they were troupers as the saying went. And Steve Perry's live singing was as good as anyone's---he was a true singer who sang from the chest (I hate "neck" singers) with tremendous power and clarity, he made it look easy. I think Perry could'a sang anything.
    I still listen to "Feeling That Way" / "Anytime" (I can't think of them except as one song) regularly and still get goosebumps every time. Steve is a great singer and Neil is like Angus Young - born with a genius for constructing leads and monster tone. Journey is a non guilty pleasure for me. Anything hatched from Santana can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube.
    Yes, I started raving about Tal after I saw the Crossroads festival on PBS. I dug up TV footage from Australia of her trio and further flipped out. Jeff's new live CD (a must have for fans, a tremendous recording) features her, so they continue to play together on occasion.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Genesis - The lamb lies down on Broadway

What a pompous , overblown piece of excrement ....

For sure. My Darling Clementine has the best look of any western I have ever seen, a powerful argument for black and white cinematography. The pacing and Americana are unforgettable. They Were Expendable is as powerful as any other great anti war film (like All Quiet On The Western Front, Paths Of Glory and Cross Of Iron).
    Clark
    Saw Clementine just recently and completely agree with you Clark....it prompted me to look a little deeper at Ford and gave The Searchers a try ...very memorable..

Paths of Glory was stunning as was Dr. StrangeLove , tho in different ways....I just finished The Apocalypse Now book / Peter Cowie.,,, and it had an interesting .quote.

"So Star Wars is George's (Lucas) version of Apocalypse Now, rewritten in an otherworldly context. The rebels in Star Wars are the Vietnamese and the Empire is the US. - Walter Murch
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Yes, she is amazing!!

"Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube."

I started play bass at 15, I'm now 64 and I was blown by her bass playing. John

I used to be able to listen to Rod Stewart & Joe Cocker, but they just sound like noise anymore. mebbe the problem is that vocal style and not really the person ? (BUT I do enjoy Eric Burdon)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    What a pompous , overblown piece of excrement ....
    I really don't see the upside for a thread where people insult various musicians or even musical styles or types...

I hate Country.
    I hate Disco.
    I hate Opera.
    I hate Rock.
    I hate, I hate, I hate....

I don't think it really matters... there are people who can't stand Yanni and others who weep with joy when they hear him. Why do we need a thread that catalogs music that some people hate?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I really don't see the upside for a thread where people insult various musicians or even musical styles or types...

I hate Country.
    I hate Disco.
    I hate Opera.
    I hate Rock.
    I hate, I hate, I hate....

I don't think it really matters... there are people who can't stand Yanni and others who weep with joy when they hear him. Why do we need a thread that catalogs music that some people hate?
    Widget
    Heh!

of course - we can get more granular than this ... I like later-early Genesis
    (Foxtrot, Selling England, etc) but hate the later days Phil Collins dreck (Abacab, Then there were 3, etc)

I like early Ultravox (Satday night, Hiroshima Mon Amour ...) and Vienna (the start of the Midge Ur era), but have no use for the later stuff

I like early Yanni, but not his later stuff - hate John Tesh (saw him at wolftrap once - boring).

... and Rod Stewart - well, I like his work with Jeff Beck and faces, even his early solo work, but it was all downhill after Every picture tells a Story - and as for Rod doing the Great American Songbook?? Shut him the heck up and bring out Rosemary Clooney or Ronstadt, or Ella or ... any number of REAL singers!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather I too enjoy early Yanni, the up tempo stuff was great, always had quality musicians with him too...then he found love I guess and went to sleep, and thought he was a great performer to watch(corny)

Tesh was ok on am occasional good song . He sounded the same more than any other I can think of

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Thread Information