Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Well, I was just under 12 years old then ...

Btw, had forgotten all that Disco crap, Bee Gees and ABBA...

Best regards!
    My daughter is a part time radio DJ in Whuppertal. in the 80's I let her take all my old LP's back to Germany as CD's were going to be "perfect sound forever" ...ha.

Anyway, she plays them on her program and is astounded at how much of the US/UK music was never heard over there.

My son is a full time internet record seller (with a psych masters degree from the Univ. of London) and ships a large number of US records to South America and around the world.

The groups that you call crap are back in demand. Esp the BG's.

I'm in Portland,Oregon and we have more record stores per capita than any major city in the US. Here it's very "hip" to be "spinning vinyl". I can resell about any TT that comes my way.

Gotta keep busy in retirement
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Weezer. Sorry, don’t mean to jump into the middle of a thread, but it’s driving me crazy, I’m out of town for the week, and my therapist isn’t answering his phone, so you guys get to hear me rant. I know nothing about Weezer, but apparently they have a cult following. But last year, they remade Toto’s “Africa”, not because they thought they could add something to it, just because some 14yr old kept bugging them to do it on twitter. What emerged was like the original on a light dose of Valium. I can’t tell you how many times the song would start on Pandora while I was working in my shop, only to have me figure out 20 seconds in that it isn’t the good version; it’s the Sh***y cover by Weezer.

Now, they’ve released another, similarly straight forward version of A-ha’s “Take on Me” - legendary song of the 80’s, probably best known because of the cleverly animated video and Morten Harket’s vocal range, which pretty much makes it impossible to sing along with once your testicles have dropped. Weezer’s lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, like us, can’t hit those notes either, and we’re left with another crappy cover that radio stations and Pandora will now play to death.

If you don’t have something creative to add, don’t ever remake a song that is another band’s calling card. And don’t ever record your version of a Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song (see Alice Chater), you just come out looking bad.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The groups that you call crap are back in demand. Esp the BG's.
    Yes, I know that. But I only could guess why. Is it 'cause public interest in demanding music has all but vanished these days, in favour of easy listening schmalz and danceable boom-boom beats? Is it 'cause the major labels have completely resorted to well-selling mainstream? Is it 'cause all the more experimentally oriented labels that we knew from the 1960ies and 1970ies have shut down? I dunno...

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post

....another crappy cover that radio stations and Pandora will now play to death.

If you don’t have something creative to add, don’t ever remake a song that is another band’s calling card.
    If you run Pandora from a computer (or an app, I think) then "down thumb" a song and it'll never come back again. I run the "thumbprint radio" station and it only (mostly) plays songs that I've "up thumbed" in the past.

Certainly agree about "why bother" covers...there are some good ones tho (notibly Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" , made in his final years ) , there is a thread on "Better than the Original ??" ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...n-the-original

The Eagles. Intentionally installed as an antipode to intellectuals such as Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and even Johnny Cash, as the unsuccessful end of the Vietnam war was foreseeable for even the thickest US citizen in 1972. Hardly to decipher as a rock band at all.

I own one single (!) album. Hotel California, of course, as New Kid In Town is a really great song, but the only great one by them.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Yes, I know that. But I only could guess why. Is it 'cause public interest in demanding music has all but vanished these days...
    Well, I have a theory (maybe not popular here, so I'll disguise the guilty to protect their evil )

The USA has had a steady stream of bad news (usually from the g*vt, ie: D * T), the last * number of years , it comes in daily. Scams everywhere .. money,money,money ...who wouldn't want simpler times ??

The poor selection of current music certainly is a a factor, but I think also is a remembrance for a perceived "better time" (in the past).
    In the 60's, the VN war only really affected few people in the country, but it did push the music greatly. The offerings of that period seemed more intense and real.
    Even the easy going late 50's (one of the few periods of no wars) has many who prefer it to today's crap. I even enjoy the goofy 80's (The MTV years) , tho in limited doses.
    The resurgence of records may even play a part, since they'd really been on the decline since the 90's, until the last 10 years or so

Cool

I'm in Portland,Oregon and we have more record stores per capita than any major city in the US. Here it's very "hip" to be "spinning vinyl". I can resell about any TT that comes my way.

With that nice new Delph you could well be the hippest old fart in town . 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post

With that nice new Delph you could well be the hippest old fart in town . 🤔
    you've got the OF part right. , but I'm tragically UNhip, pretty much laughing at trends/fads.

It's weird tho, in record stores or record shows, many of the younger guys like to talk music with me. , asking for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    In the 60's, the VN war only really affected few people in the country, but it did push the music greatly. The offerings of that period seemed more intense and real.
    Totally agreed! That's exactly what I've meant wrt The Eagles vs. intellectual music output.

Best regards!

[QUOTE=soundboy;151523]Being a long time pro guitarist, I tend to get irritable at anything that doesn't have any redeeming melodic content or talent. So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent. Ludacris, and the ilk, come to mind.

And, just to assure anyone I am not being racist....there isn't a single other black performer in Jazz, Blues, rock, that I dislike....ok, maybe Buddy Guy's sloppy overrated guitar licks....

[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more being a guitar picker myself, and in my opinion rap has always been disco in disguise.

Fully agreed to both of you regarding (c)rap

Best regards!

Buddy Guy, Born To Play Guitar, 2015, Silvertone RCA Germany, 2LP, 88875 12037 1

[QUOTE=sdjblnut;421762]
    Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Being a long time pro guitarist, I tend to get irritable at anything that doesn't have any redeeming melodic content or talent. So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent. Ludacris, and the ilk, come to mind.

And, just to assure anyone I am not being racist....there isn't a single other black performer in Jazz, Blues, rock, that I dislike....ok, maybe Buddy Guy's sloppy overrated guitar licks....

[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more being a guitar picker myself, and in my opinion rap has always been disco in disguise.

Agree, with the exception of Buddy Guy. Try this one here! He seldom produced crap. We should not judge these artists too hypercritically, because they have to earn their money in the jungle of music business. Everytime (!) i try to play some of these guitar licks or everytime (!) i want to sing some tunes simultaneously while playing guitar (especially on stage), or everytime (!) if i have to play a 2 hours live set carrying the load of these ponderous guitars hanging around my shoulder, and (finally) everytime (!) i have to communicate easily with the public in the auditorium while playing and sweating, i everytime (!) have to admit, that i am not a big shot in this business and i should better sell my guitars. Yes, he is born to play the guitar. I am born to try to play the guitar...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Yes or no? Jon Anderson

YES or not YES, that's the question. Come on, tell it like it is! The blind spot is the limited vocal range of Jon Andersons voice. After half an hour of bearing this voice you have to surrender, no matter what the great bass player contributes. This was the big problem of YES, IMHO. If we are rather stressable, we may put an LP of the "Wiener Sängerknaben" on the turntable. (But i will not put the pickup onto it). Or one of the Bee Gees, during the disco times...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Sure, Chris Squire, who passed in 2015, was a great bass player with a tremendous sound and style, probably 2nd greatest after John Entwistle at all. But don't forget guitarist Steve Howe, imho the most giftest among the bunch - and severely underrated when it comes to tell the greatest guitarists of all time. He's capable of many, many different playing styles that he's able to call up just like on the push of a button.

Watch how he drives the band for more them three and a half minutes (3:05 to 6:45) in their rendition of Paul Simon's America, recorded for the New Age of Atlantic album in 1972:

Best regards!

The Carpenters!

Admittedly, the singer's voice isn't that bad at all. But those meaningless lyrics! And that ball-less music!! And the worst with them was their support for Richard Nixon in his presidential election campaign in 1972 where the singer proved herself as an overly childish, naive woman. Unbearable !

Best regards!

Thread Information