Thread: Describe your HIFI -system

AudioGeek
    where's that ex-wifey live, hmm...?

Ex-wife?

+ + =

WHAT ex-wife?? &

Hey - a man can dream, can't he??

Ausiogeek,

What are your recollections of the Pass Labs D-1 DAC?

Ian

Ausiogeek ??

couldn't resist <> EarlK

( I too, would like to hear about that DAC )

I thought it would be easier to just show you: http://www.wardsweb.org/lansing/systems/

You can never have to much audio equipment.

:shock:
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thank you Wardsweb. You have done us all a tremendous service. The next time my wife says that I have too much audio gear, I will show her your photos.

Yea, Wardsweb, and if you still have a wifey, let ME know when you guys split-up...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yes, I have a very understanding wife (this time around). I would have way more gear but I also have an ex-wife that sucks a big chunk of change out of my paycheck each month But on the bright side she sure helps me to appreciate my wife.

Originally posted by Wardsweb
    ... I also have an ex-wife that sucks ... But on the bright side she sure helps me to appreciate my wife.
    I am quite surprised we both married the same wife the first time! NEVER AGAIN! Ha!~
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Audio is a disease with no cure, an addiction you can not break. You can only feed it more gear to curb the cravings for a little while. My casket will have a stereo.

AudioGeek
    Ian and Earl -

Welp, I must say that the D1 was probably the best sounding DAC I'd ever owned or heard to date. And I'm serious.

Previously, I'd owned the Theta Data Pro Basic II with mods, Krell SBP-64X, a few Audio Alchemy's w.outboard PS's & jitter boxes, a couple of Audio Research's DAC's/CDP's, Wadia 860, Denon, Rotel, SonyES, Genesis Digital Lens jitter filter and a bunch of digital I can't remember right now. The Pass whupped all of 'em.

The Pass had just about everything sound-wise you could ask for IMHO, so I won't go into all of the superlatives unless someone wants to know specifically. Probably the best thing was that it was actually listenable for long sessions with no loss of detail, (which is where most Redbook front-end's fail).

A lot of that had to do with the excellent C.E.C. transport feeding it, and I didn't get quite the beauty out of the TL-1X/D1 combo until I linked them with the fiber optic cable. The D1 had the best F.O. receiver in the biz at that time from what I understand, and it still probably is the best. That's I believe what made the difference. I had tried all manner of RCA & balanced digital cables previously, but the AT&T link was just spectacular.

(BTW - I believe the TL-1X/D1/AT&T link was the same digital front-end that Wayne Colburn of Pass Labs had as his reference system. I was informed of that after I already owned the D1, while speaking with Wayne one day about a Pass preamp. Nice coincidence. Maybe his ears and mine are similar?! )

Ian -

Don't you have one of the Pass DIY amps? Which one, the Bride of Zen or Daughter, etc? I've heard they're supposed to be excellent, and I've always wanted to hear a properly built one. Maybe I'll start to look into those - any hints?

AudioGeek
    Hey Wards -

Are those ML's CLS IIa's or IIz's? I had a pair of IIa's in walnut, and intended to do the z impedance mod but never got around to it.

If you get the chance some day, listen to any of the ARC Classic-series amps through the CLS'. I used to power mine with a pair of Classic 120 monoblocks with KT-88's, and it was "hog heaven"!! I'd say that rig was one of the best speaker/amp combo's I've ever heard.

Only problem was, I kept blowing those '88's prematurely. Between the Chinese-made tubes I had at the time, and the .5 ohm impedance of the CLS' in the 20kHz octave, it was no wonder. Those '88's just liked to oscillate heavily with the nearly DC impedance up there. Or overheat/arc. Or both!!

Then, I traded the 120's for a Krell KSA-150. Had that driving the ML's for awhile, then traded off those for Apogee Stage's...then Maggie 2.6R's...then...

Does the torture ever stop with this hobby?!

Ian -

"Don't you have one of the Pass DIY amps? Which one, the Bride of Zen or Daughter, etc? I've heard they're supposed to be excellent, and I've always wanted to hear a properly built one. Maybe I'll start to look into those - any hints?"

Yep,

House of Pass , Built:

BOSOZ balanced line stage
    Pearl Jfet Phono stage
    Aleph 3, 5, & 2 mono block

In progress AX 100+100 and discrete Jfet follower active crossover, the former creams the ML with massive dynamic contrast and purity using only 2 stages IMHO.

On the drawing board a X Pre amp and X Series 600 to drive the 4345 bass and also for summer listening (600+600 A/B watts class only to 100 watts)

Not difficult Send me a pm for details,

Also great people like Karen (do a search for the pic, its worth it) to deal with and plenty of punters at diyaudio.com (sorry she's married boys)

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 12-04-2003 at 01:54 AM.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by AudioGeek
    Which one, the Bride of Zen or Daughter, etc? I've heard they're supposed to be excellent, and I've always wanted to hear a properly built one.
    Dood! Check out the great granddaughter of Zen's second cousin! Totally bitchin'!

AudioGeek
    Hey Giskard - don't blame me for the goofy names they give them, "I'm only here for the beer", ya know?

Thread Information