Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Capacitors in Low Pass filter Below 250Hz??

Air is great insulator for minimising all sorts of interference.

You should add looming cables correctly ,earthing and what makes a good and a bad inductor to a tutorial on building a good passive crossover.

I think that test is the extreme. I mean seldom would you experience this except under hi current/ power conditons such as doing the JBL test jig thing with an actual sign wave on a test network. I found it was more of an issue with a large iron core LF filter inductors being in moderate proximity to the air cores of an adjacent Mid or HF filter. The large flux field of the high powered LF inductor easily swamped the whole network. Hence this is why LF filters are seperated from the rest of a networkas a rule.

It would be more intuitive if you could demonstrate a good inductor from a bad one. He mentioned nothing about inductor vibration. Crappy air cores actually "sing" and this creates even more issues than the mess a passive network make of a nice driver.

OK, I was wrong....but,

I was wrong to get so impatient with my response of a few weeks ago....I miss this place...so, to the point...
    yes, I laid down one of the coils in the origonal thread starter pics....and it DID make a difference....even at low volumes....it sounds less, well..."electronic" and clearer, more focused.....it was very noticable to me....
    Now that that is out of the way, I guess I just get frustrated....people are STILL putting solens in thier systems (UN biased), without reading the hundreds of posts on here first, and wonder why it sounds nasal, or bright, or whatever. Solens sound that way. It doesn't take a bunch of "higher priced" caps to make you "imagine" it. If you need a double blind test, knock yourself out...I trust my familiarity with all of my systems over the years, and music I am used to. All of us should...I was just trying to share my experiences and many dollars spent, to maybe help someone else make a decision on an upgrade, as to whather it was worth it, or not...
    ....I started one at a time with my smaller JBL's, then after hearing a dramatic difference in every respect, I jumped in on the big Dynaudio 3 way.....and it was the same result....because one of the things I noticed right away in my 4301's, 4406's, 4208's.....was that the BASS was much better, in detail, punch, clarity, naturalness, etc...

As a side note, I am from the old days, when JBL dumped a handful of coils in a metal case, side by side, and dumped epoxy over them........

But it DOES make a difference to orient the coils at right angles. Live and learn...it made the Claritycaps even more of an upgrade!

....never took it personal....just getting old and impatient sometimes....and I am "only" 49...

BTW, I finally tried using some .01 Auricaps on a couple of the smaller systems....previously they had vishay 1843 .01's over the larger Claritycaps.....well, after a days long listening while at work, the Auricaps are more "alive" and detailed.....noticed it right away...without being over the top, or harsh, or too hot, etc... I like them a lot more. The vishay's were an improvement, and smoother than no bypass...but sounded drier and not as lively......I happen to like lively....sounds more engaging and musical.....I just don't like the "solen lively".....have fun everyone, Pete

Hi, Pete. Glad you tried that and came back.

I just now swapped some Solens into a notch filter in place of Daytons.

Yup, they're "sharp," all right.

[Just not sure I don't like it, is all.... :dont-know ]

I just received my Claritycaps in the mail. I will install them in a small pair of B&W's soon. Thansk again for teh heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    BTW, I finally tried using some .01 Auricaps on a couple of the smaller systems....previously they had vishay 1843 .01's over the larger Claritycaps.....well, after a days long listening while at work, the Auricaps are more "alive" and detailed.....noticed it right away...without being over the top, or harsh, or too hot, etc... I like them a lot more. The vishay's were an improvement, and smoother than no bypass...but sounded drier and not as lively......I happen to like lively....sounds more engaging and musical.....I just don't like the "solen lively".....have fun everyone, Pete
    Pete,

Good news travels fast. I know Clark will be pleased to hear you tried this out.

Glad you like the Auricap blend.

Ian

Wishing in one hand, and...well, you know...

I wish I had some of my systems components from the good old days, with the newer capacitor technology....had a killer system back in the day with 2235H's, 2108H's, 2344's...and TAD 2001's....crossed at 250hz/1600hz...Mac MX110, Yamaha 2200...DAMN....

I don't have the time, or the funds to replace all that, and use killer passive parts on them....back then, it was electroshitic's on the bass, and mylar, or orange drops for the high's....still sounded great, but....wishing I could try the system out now.....the horn driver's are a friggin' fortune, and the 2108H's??.....well....dream on....

I can still remember opening the 2108 boxes, smelling the styrofoam and cone glue...and marveling at the magnet size...they fit through the hole with about a 1/16th inch clearance...and those beautiful foilcals....what was I thinking to part out the system in the late 80's?

If I can help just one guy try using claritycaps, or auricaps in their ENTIRE network, not just the tweeters....they would I am sure do amazing things for a 2231/35 in L300's, 2245H in 4345's, etc.....anyway, it's all just MY experience, not the word of god....if anyone else comes across reasonably priced caps that are neutral, I hope they post.....

The auricap bypasses sound even better today...they just sound"right on" to me.....way mucho nicer than none at all....cheers....I'm on my way to see Peter Cetera with the Seattle Symphony....it's a chick thing....but I still love his Chicago days...Pete

As a point of actual fact the 4345 crossover modification has already been performed as descibed above on a member's system by the undersigned. (with numerous other improvements some time ago)

The owner as no further cause to post on the forums.

He is at the summit. Any distractions would only detract from his enjoyment.

If there is sufficient interest an image could be posted.

But it DOES make a difference to orient the coils at right angles. Live and learn...it made the Claritycaps even more of an upgrade!

Thank you for agreeing with my post.

Thread Information