Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

I'll build you a pair of crossovers to try with your tweeters, Storm. I think I have the parts here. They'll be JBL 3105 (N7000) equivalents, and may smooth the response out for you a bit.
    Wow Storm, You are about to get a free ride to your degree in Speakerology. Why not take the chance? What can you lose? Wish it had happened to me in my youth. Maybe you will advance the "state of the art." Or not. But it will be fun, I guarantee.

Of course I will take Zilch up on his offer.

So, I can have your T-35 tweeters if all do is pay for shipping? You can use my fedex account number.

Thanks!

-Storm.

You bet!

I will disassemble the EV cab's tomorrow, and verify that the tweeters are EV T-35's at 16 ohms. Then I will PM you for your account number, and PM Zilch to give him the proper parts values, so he can build the crossovers.

This will end up being a fun venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    FWIW: The EV T-350 is a very nice tweeter... with it's phenolic diaphragm, it may not reach the upper limits of audibility, but what it does do is quite nice.
    Widget
    I agree. It's a good sounding tweeter for what it is and from what I understand, it was an upgrade (?) over the T35? Maybe I'm wrong but that's what a friend of mine (who is an authorized EV service center) said.

I have the T350's in my Electrovoice Interface C's and I love the way they sound. I just refoamed the woofer over the weekend and have them back in rotation to break in.

Here's a "bad" picture of them. One of the kids must have my darn camera!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

J.A.F.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Of course I will take Zilch up on his offer.

So, I can have your T-35 tweeters if all do is pay for shipping? You can use my fedex account number.

Thanks!

-Storm.
    Looks like you are building you own hybrid version of an EV Sentry III.
    Have fun!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

The T-350 is a different animal than the butt-cheek ST-350 in the Interface.

The T-350 is basically a T-35 with a much bigger magnet, ST-350 is a T-35 motor and diaphragm but with a butt-cheek horn.

EV evidently used CD horn EQ with the ST-350s, this EQ may account for the superior highs often reported.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
    The CBS Lab report on the Model 19's shows a rather steady drop of the 802G's after 11 or 12KHZ. And that driver is supposed to have had improved highs over the 806A? So how far out does an 806A really go? Is it better than about 8db down at 13KHZ?
    Here's one look:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...570#post151570

Be good if more members measured these so we knew what we were talking about here.

The best available information comes from a 1978 review?

http://www.perfectmarketaudio.com/al...20page%201.pdf

Surely there's something published on Altec FRs? :dont-know

846A Upgrade

I guese my idea here will be a good/great improvement.

Have you seen these Radian diaphragms for an upgrade, this will keep the Altec array 8ohm across the board? If I do not sell these as is I'm going to do something interesting with them.
    I will re-configure the x-over, use dual L-pads and add a RF-7, K-67-KV tweet to the system. Use the Altec horns as a mid horn and put the Klipsch on top, center. Do a 12db network from top to bottom, x-over points being 800, and 3k. I think that it will turn out rather interesting sounding, and defined???
    Much better than an EV tweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something Mr. Storm should come listen tooooooooooooo.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=10721370

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    I guese my idea here will be a good/great improvement.
    Well, you can see the problem I'm having. Without some objective information (preferably quantitative) on the performance of these systems/combinations, it's all just one big subjectivist wank in the eyes of this curve junkie.

How's anyone gonna know if throwing aftermarket diaphragms into the mix is an improvement without a baseline? Because you or someone else (Storm, for example, per your suggestion?) says they like the sound better?

Hey Zilch,

If you are willing to measure them, I can send you a pair of 806 drivers in 16 Ohms along with an 811 horn. Since they are not required to be contained in the cabinet, this should suffice to generate some sort of baseline. They will be from my original pair bought at the Altec factory in Anaheim, and have never been opened, so I know they are representative of what passes for stock today. I would like to get them back however, as they are priceless to me.

Thanks, Jack. I'm certainly willing to do that, but let's hold off a bit and see if someone has data from other sources to post here first.

We'll be in touch about the T-35s and filters in the meantime....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    The T-350 is a different animal than the butt-cheek ST-350 in the Interface.

The T-350 is basically a T-35 with a much bigger magnet, ST-350 is a T-35 motor and diaphragm but with a butt-cheek horn.

EV evidently used CD horn EQ with the ST-350s, this EQ may account for the superior highs often reported.
    That's right...my bad, Tom! I even know the difference but wigged out a little there. But, I am glad to have my EV's working again, though. lol

Here's an 806-511 plot by RCA Guy Bill Woods

Also a 902 plot that I think I got from Shawn Fogg, not sure anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

846A Upgrade

Zilch,
    It is an Idea I have. I'm not saying for sure they will sound better. It is an Idea for replacement for the 806A. Please don't compare me to Storm. I've been doing this longer than he is old.
    Tonight I tried to get specs from Parts Express on the diaphragm replacements from Radian in my above thread and they have none. The manufacturer is stating they perform as good, if not better than factory, with an extended bandwidth. Which to me means they were designed for that horn, and driver (806 or 806A). The part number I gave you is the 294-724 sub Altec number in the catalog is they fit the (806). Anyway I'm going to use them only as a mid cut of at 3k, and bring the RF-7 tweet in at 3k. I think this is a good idea since in the above thread the factory Altec driver in the factory two way situation falls of very qwik at 9k correct?

J/S-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    The manufacturer is stating they perform as good, if not better than factory, with an extended bandwidth. Which to me means they were designed for that horn.
    While I find the product on the Radian website, I don't find the spec sheet. I assume you mean they were designed for that driver, not any specific horn.

That's what they say about the JBL replacements, as well, but, in the limited testing I have done with those, it's clear that they are not "equivalent" to the JBL factory diaphragms.

http://www.radianaudio.com/products/.../1245_1225.pdf

"Better?" I don't know. I quit when it was apparent that the crossovers would have to be retuned to successfully use them in my two-way projects....

Thread Information