Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

Dave,
    No link visible in your post. Edit it in if you get a chance.

I did some diligent searching and read in a different thread that u had the EVs oriented to the rear of the cab; you've moved them up presumably for alignment issues.

If you do give alternative drivers a try a post your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
    DaveV:

Very very very nice vintage system. I love your collection of TD124s....
    kwingylee

I see it now. Nice setup.

I think the ceiling angle above the 19s must help refract ceiling bounce behind your head?

Is your open reel a Revox? It reminds me of an old Akai 1/4 track I learned to edit on.

The pictures on the website are just the tip of the iceberg as far as speakers and other equipment goes. There's two closets full of stuff too but obviously my sonic favorites are out and in use.

The tape deck is a Tandberg 64X 1/4 track but the original caps are tired and they crackle some during use. Yet another project!

The ceiling angle is not a problem for me. I listen from a small sofa across from the speakers that's placed in the middle of the two 19's so the "sweet spot" is in the center of the sofa but somewhat adjustable by the toe in of the 19's and or the tweeters.

Right now I have it so the sweet spot (via toe ins) is on axis if you know what I mean.

If I crank the volume up more than necessary I can get an annoying bounce off the wall behind me but the 19's in that small room make for a huge wall of sound and high volume levels aren't required to get a live performance level most of the time. I don't listen to 70-80's hard rock stuff so a 130db live level isn't the norm.

Original jazz recordings (LP's) like The Ahmad Jamal Trio, Lennie Tristano, Miles Davis, Scott Hamilton, Mel Torme, etc sound awesome on the 19's but not as real sounding to me without the added tweeters.
    But I do like a more in your face sound as long as it's clean and smooth.

Just too bad it took some 40 odd years to get a system together that makes me happy so I can listen to the music rather then the equipment. The 19's were really the big improvement that ended my search. ( I hope. LOL)

All the Mac stuff was rebuilt with NON AUDIOPHILE parts and the 19's have new inexpensive metallized polyprops in the xovers so there's nothing special here. Just the right combo of stuff tweaked to my taste via caps and tubes.

Just curious, what happened to the other 57 pages of this very informative thread? They are all gone now.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i am seeing all of the content....

Quote Originally Posted by spartanmanor View Post
    Just curious, what happened to the other 57 pages of this very informative thread? They are all gone now.
    Hiya neighbor!

I took a look and got to page 51, then page 55 just fine ...
    don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but it seems to work ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=14690&page=59
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I changed my viewing display mode to linear and am now getting them all. I was only getting two pages earlier which was very frustrating.

So this is an old thread and it has been a long time since I read all the pages. I do not remember seeing if anyone tried running the BMS drivers active and if so does any other compensation need to be applied?

Quote Originally Posted by spartanmanor View Post
    So this is an old thread and it has been a long time since I read all the pages. I do not remember seeing if anyone tried running the BMS drivers active and if so does any other compensation need to be applied?
    Yes. The generic HF comp in Behringer CX-3400 is too 'Hot" for BMS, however, and that's likely the case for other active crossovers with fixed HF comp, as well.

Subsequent to this thread, I did more using the Altec "Bridged-T" filter, most of which is posted over on AudioKarma. I came back here to work with Skywave-rider and his 9844-8Bs, so there's additional info in that thread, including a Model 19 highpass mod that seems to work well. and a follow-up evaluation of Altec 902-8B drivers. Skywave has continued that work, so you might PM him regarding his latest findings....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=18913

Thanks Zilch, that is what I figured. I will read on with the updated info.

Thread Information