Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

I belive a seperate Altec section would better be served for the Value's. Most of us wouldn't know that it's missing the tweeter or even if it ever had one unless the Altec Experts posted it. It would be a great opportunity for some posters with a lot of energy. I checked with Techbot to see if he wanted to spearhead the project for Altec library. His response was a Spearhead launched within millimeters of my Driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    just because he gets in a bidding war with some other yo-yo (prolly a shill), doesn't really establish anything, just an anomaly, like the pine AR3's.
    Could be worse, he could have paid $1600 for L300's.

One man's great deal is another man's "you've got to be kidding me".

I don't think there isn't a member here that has owned a pair of L-300s that wouldn't hesitate to pay $1600 for a pair that needs foaming. If there is speak up.

"I don't think there isn't a member here that has owned a pair of L-300s that wouldn't hesitate to pay $1600 for a pair that needs foaming."

Well yeah, seeing as they've already shown they favor them by having bought some, I reckon you're on safe ground.

Altec 846B's

I think the price paid was way to high for what they are, I offered him the set I have (846A's) that need one horn driver and some restoration/elbow grease for $500.00 that are stock. (5 miles away) But to each his own. Then we have this pair he missed with no work needed that look much nicer that what was purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8191&rd=1&rd=1

J/S-S1A

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    They have extra components not wrong ones. And the mod is cleanly done and easily reversed with only a few screw holes left. And note that the foam around the horn is still intact, you don't see that very often. Remove the EVs and put in some small foam patches and you'll have a stock set better looking than most.
    I see what you are saying, but I said if anything it hurts the value. Given that similiar pairs have not gotten over $600 recently, I cannot see how the addition of these tweeters adds $600 to the value of them, especially since they are not mentioned. (which is why I said that there may have been a reason) And the pictures themselves were transposed off of a member's photos and taken as their own. Not a seller or a set of speakers that I would personally want to spend $600 more for with, but thats me, and its obvious that someone out there thought it was worth it and bid accordingly.

Nightbrace
    Altec Valencias have typically sold between $500-$1000 depending upon condition. And with shipping being an issue the lower end is usually the norm unless an exceptional pair comes along. I hardly think these were exceptional and since there is NO mention in the auction about the tweeters and given that the pics are "stolen", there is no way of coming up with any reasonable estimate prior to bidding on them.. Again, I KNOW that I am probably wrong in this reasoning as they sold for twice as much as the Valencia's I've seen, so who knows.

At least they are being enjoyed and no amount of money can compensate for that.

Just to make sure it wasn't misinterpreted....there was only ONE photo that was copied from my auction....the Crossover photo. The rest of them are apparently theirs. Now, they DID copy the majority of my description, though! I sent the "seller" an email which was maybe a little sarcastic (lol) and he/she replied..."Sorry, I didn't see the copywrite jerkoff". I thought that was funny! I guess that's all he/she could come up with since they couldn't even come up with their own description...except for a few words!

Ok. I'm beating a dead horse. Sorry....

Nightbrace
    LOL. such harsh words.. At least some of the pictures were of the actual speakers.. Tell him your okay with it as long as he pays you to use your description /

Source -

Why would I spend $500.00 on speakers that are not even ported and need work? The cabinets are shot and the one needs a new driver. I would spend about $300.00 plus my time - not worth it.

I bought these because of the rare original foam and the fact I wanted them.

I am enjoying them as we speak.

The seller was actually very nice. We met in a parking lot to do the transaction and he gave me a 24 hour window to test them. I did and I am thoroughly happy with them.

I wish some of you could hear the astonishing difference between both sets.

I disconnected the EV tweeter and man - what a difference. The altec horns' highs were way harsh. When I added the EV, the mids and especially the highs backed off and I am without listener fatigue.

To each his own..

And yes, my receiver pushes them just fine at 12.5 watts per channel.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Opened one speaker and took some pictures.

The tweeters are 16 ohms. The tweeters are fed into the 806-8A driver.

Let me know what you think of the pictures.

Looks like the whoever did the MOD knew what they were doing. The x-over looks re-done.

-Storm.
    Source -

I disconnected the EV tweeter and man - what a difference. The altec horns' highs were way harsh. When I added the EV, the mids and especially the highs backed off and I am without listener fatigue.

To each his own..

-Storm.

Storm,
    Your above statement makes no sense. Looks to me the Altec horn x-over has had no mods or additions, so the frequency's reproduced have not changed with or without the tweeter addition. You need to add a coil, or a 12db network to it to remove the top end, and also I would maybe do a 12db network on the tweeter, 6db would not be a way I would go, to harsh, not a sharp enough slope. The way it is set up now you have a major overlap at the given frequency the tweet is starting at.
    Second I never said my Altec cabinets were shot I said they needed a resto and some veneer work. This is just some sanding and staining, lot less that $300.00.

J/S-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by avguytx View Post
    Just to make sure it wasn't misinterpreted....there was only ONE photo that was copied from my auction....the Crossover photo. The rest of them are apparently theirs. Now, they DID copy the majority of my description, though! I sent the "seller" an email which was maybe a little sarcastic (lol) and he/she replied..."Sorry, I didn't see the copywrite jerkoff". I thought that was funny! I guess that's all he/she could come up with since they couldn't even come up with their own description...except for a few words!

Ok. I'm beating a dead horse. Sorry....

i cant tell you how often i get emails like this. People say things in email they would never say face to face.

I wish some of you could hear the astonishing difference between both sets.-Storm.
    but I thot the old ones were already perfect ?

as long as you are happy Stormster, thats all that matters.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    but I thot the old ones were already perfect ?

as long as you are happy Stormster, thats all that matters.
    WOW, Altec went from great to crap overnight. Those EV tweeters should do little more than re-inforce certain frequencies... At least its good to know that they are both operating the same. Have you tried just running the EV tweeters without the horns? The frequency responses are actually pretty similiar in the higher frequencies.. And it just may be that you prefer EV's highs over Altec.

Nothing you have said makes any sense to any of us, and its good that you are enjoying your new speakers, but we're all a little baffled as to why you like them so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    i cant tell you how often i get emails like this. People say things in email they would never say face to face.
    Face to face, they'd get the spelling right....

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    We're all a little baffled as to why you like them so much better.
    You can drop the "We," 'cause I'm not at all baffled....

Thread Information