Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

This would work well too storm. I had one. I paid 1450 for mine. Its a tripath amp

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1176849875

no affiliation. I wont own another of these since i am into cheap clones now. but ya, great build quality.... sounded excellent. google it.

Bel Canto Design eVo2 Gen 2 - trades considered
    Asking$950.00 obo New Retail$3200.00 Condition8/10 Days/Views1 / 301 Ship costPlus shipping Ship from45 lbs from 07871 Ship toUSA only IncludedBox, Manual About Seller Grandenigma1 (6)
    (send email) (view feedback) (other items)
    Pay Terms Money Order, Personal Check, PayPal
    Bel Canto eVo2 Gen 2

Description I bought this amp with thoughts of scaling down my stereo setup and instead focusing more on a home theater setup but have since decided against doing so.

This amp did a fantastic job driving both my Tyler Linbooks and Ascend Acoustics.

To my understanding it is one of that last few of the Evo2 Gen2 produced and thusly has been tweaked a bit.

It has a few light scratches on top of the unit but the faceplate and the rest is in excellent condition.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

I AM ALSO OPEN TO TRADES (AMPs, TTs, CDPs, DACs, Speakers, and so on...)

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    STORM PLEASE GET A DECENT AMP. ONE THAT COST 1000-1500 that people like to snap up right away, so you wont get stuck with a white elephant.
    I'd hardly call my HH Scott 222c a White Elephant, its the best sounding amp that I've tried with my Altec 19's for its price (under $400). The amps you are suggesting may work well with the speakers you are using, but there's no real reason to spend so much for a modest speaker like his Valencia's.

While I understand the advantages with the dig. transports you mentioned. My NAD works perfectly OK with the Altecs as there is no major concern with frequencies over 15 kHz when jitter and higher sampling rates are more critical,.

I cannot agree more that the gear he is using does little more than to mask the potential hidden in these speakers, and even with $200 he can find something leaps and bounds ahead of what he is using.. Which is why I recommended a hi-fi amp like a 70's Pioneer and "decent" Sony CD player as its not a big risk.

The units you are mentioning will cost several times what he paid for the speakers. And for his use, will not be worth the money until he understands what the differences are, you gotta make a big leap before you can make baby steps up the ladder in audio.

For ~ $500 for a CD player and amp, I cannot imagine finding a better combo more suited for his Valencias than my NAD and HH Scott and a comparable Sherwood tube amp will cost 1/3rd what the HH Scott does with almost identical sound and more wattage. This combo will make a set of L300's put you to sleep, but for the Valencia's not much out there will be any better unless he's willing to spend more for the gear than the speakers.

Funny. Most of the information they used for their auction they robbed from my auction.

That picture of the crossover in their auction is from mine, too if you look closely. Notice how the conveniently drop off the serial numbers after they copied it verbatim till that point. Those look like shit compared to mine. Definitely not worth double the money of what mine ended at. I guess it's all about how close someone is to them.

I guess the only thing they have going over mine is that they have the stock foam grills. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by avguytx View Post
    Funny. Most of the information they used for their auction they robbed from my auction.

That picture of the crossover in their auction is from mine, too if you look closely. Those look like shit compared to mine. Definitely not worth double the money of what mine ended at. I guess it's all about how close someone is to them.
    Dang...he paid a lot for those EV HF's ???? what are they worth in the REAL world ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

So dumb, they copied the thumbnail, not the full pic.

The other thing I'm not fathoming is the absence of the tweeters, or even mention of them, in the auction. :dont-know

Nightbrace
    I think its obvious that the seller didn't mention these tweeters for a reason as a stock set of Valencia's is worth more than a pair with the incorrect components.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    I think its obvious that the seller didn't mention these tweeters for a reason as a stock set of Valencia's is worth more than a pair with the incorrect components.
    That's true. He sure got a premium amount for a non-stock pair of speakers, huh. Lucky for him Storm came along! lol

Nightbrace
    That's true. He sure got a premium amount for a non-stock pair of speakers, huh. Lucky for him Storm came along! lol
    LOL, tis true, but at least he's happy . What did yours go for again? Less than $600 if I recall, and not just once, twice... and yours are all stock...

LOL, tis true, but at least he's happy . What did yours go for again? Less than $600 if I recall, and not just once, twice... and yours are all stock...
    Yeah....I guess it's all about location. As long as he's happy, I guess that's what counts. Mine are still sitting covered up in the garage. Maybe they will find a nice home one day. They are worth way more than $600...at least I think so. But does the market? lol

They look fine

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Hey there everyone!

Look at my new toys!

I don't know if anyone was following the eBay auction for the Valencias in Scottsdale, Arizona - but I was. Only a three day auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

Check out my new babies.

And yes, the 846U's are going to be sold.

To everyone who was telling me to add a tweeter; now I completely understand the need for a tweeter on the valencias. They smooth out the harsh highs and bring it down to a listenable level, very pleasurable I might add.

I paid $1200.00, but I think I got a good deal - especially because I got to pick them up only an hour after the auction ended.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

I think the tweeters are EV T-35's?

Thanks!

-Storm.

If they sound fine, everyone is happy.

"the seller didn't mention these tweeters for a reason as a stock set of Valencia's is worth more than a pair with the incorrect components."

What, Storm's speakers? They have extra components not wrong ones. And the mod is cleanly done and easily reversed with only a few screw holes left. And note that the foam around the horn is still intact, you don't see that very often. Remove the EVs and put in some small foam patches and you'll have a stock set better looking than most.

In any event Storm is the fella setting Valencia values this week, not you.

Nightbrace just scorin' more forum pals here.

[Let no member be spared.... ]

The white elephant was in reference to spending alot of money. I, like many of us here, have done alot of audiogon transactions... once you get about around 1500, things get alot harder to move... you need bigger fish with deeper pockets. at under 1000 bucks there is a ton of interest.

I just wanted to make sure that he didnt make some outlandish purchase (like a 1200 dollar pair of modified vals heh) that will have less resale value when the experiment is done.

Though i have never heard the vals, arrent they essentially the same as 19s? What, then, makes them modest? cabinet size? They were my first choice... the 19s were serendipity. I went with the 19s heh.

The scott i am sure is a great tube amp. But you know what you are doing. He is not knowing what he is doing as much-- and rightly so, i think vintage tube amps are kinda tricky... with the wires and the caps and the power cords etc.

I have merely been pointing out to him several GREAT amps that will resell within HOURS of posting.

My rule of thumb is to ONLY buy what other people like, regardless of what i want. I have an asterix on there because i am curious about 1-off homemade stuff-- so that is a money pit for me, but other than that i never lose 1 cent on audio gear.

The belcanto evo 2 gen 2 for 900 shipped is a decent deal (these dont sell the wya they used to). The Aleph 3 for 850-900 shipped is a great deal. You cannot lose at these prices. Alternatively, he can try one of these warmer gainclone chipamps that are all the rage now. Homebrew ones only run a couple 100 bucks.

The only thing i disagree with you on Nightbrace, is the NAD source. though it is a step up from what he has, i dont think too highly of it at all. Again, it is a nifty dvdp that i have-- i love it for movies, but it is weaksauce as a cdp. of course a dedicated cdp from NAD may be a different story, but when it comes down to it they know that they are an entry level hifi company and are confortable positioning themselves as such.
    without NAD, i would not have gone on the journey that i went on.

I dont know what to tell him for a source... maybe he should try a dac.

The bel canto DAC2 is a SICK dac and a great deal at 650-700. These have really come down in price. They sell within 1 day on agon at this price.

Hope this helps storm.

that really is borderline rediculous that he doesnt mention the tweeters in the ad. hah not even in the specs part. hah unbelieveable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    In any event Storm is the fella setting Valencia values this week, not you.
    just because he gets in a bidding war with some other yo-yo (prolly a shill), doesn't really establish anything, just an anomaly, like the pine AR3's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information