Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New house, new studio, new projects...

Found a couple of pics, not great. These two are combinations of my Tama kit (probably about 11 pieces at the time, but single-bass) and a Ludwig kit. Both were assembled for laughs, I was in a Spinal-Tap type comedy band called the Luv Weezuls at the time.

The red kit is from a Tama ad, I think it's more like what you wanted to see, right?

je
    Attached Images Attached Images    

00Robin
    heheh,in '01 I went to a private college in this "give an idiot a chance" government program which was really mean for the not so smarts,but I ended up the Honors student....haha,so much for THAT $14,000 per sememster tuition I got for all A's....For FIVE years. But,I approached the Band Director and told him I wanted to be "the maraca girl". He needed someone on percussion desperately and asked THE QUESTION..."do you read music?" .."OH YES!" I wrangled happily(well I can,sort of)
    So I became the entire section,I had mallets between my knees,sticks stuck behind my ears and under my armpits and if I set up MY AREA just right I could play about 4 or 5 different instruments parts by dropping one and grabbing another with the right or left VERY quickly barely missing or dropping a beat.
    Heheheh,the snare and timpani guys held their own and I had this young darling that was old enough to be my son who directed me by kicking me...I was too enthralled with the REAL Director to pay attention to him so I winged it,wanged it,wung it,whatever the entire season for Concert Band,Marching Band and Football and Basketball and had the time of my life. Me and the out of tune chimes from the Edwardian Period ( I swear to GOD they were that old and ornate) learned how to be in tune while hitting the wrong notes that WERE in tune and the bells and I NEVER played what was actually written on paper and I added all these wild runs and extra long expressives that had the Director all smiles....Me and Mr. Mellotron had a grand old time too, I jazzed up anything but never played what was written. BORING.....but did stay in key. That always helps for the artistic takeover inside of me.
    Although at FORMAL functions I was demoted to the Bass drum for the entire 30 minutes of Pomp and Circumstance...even I had to be kicked occasionally because I would forget I was the Bass and not the audience scanner for nice outfits and matching bags and shoes....Pomp does go on and on...

I still have my wool plaid mallet bag stuffed full,even with a GREAT pair of clickety clackers and Mr. Scratchy Fish ( can't remember the real names).
    I got the A every semester. Probobly just for the entertainment of watching my set up. I kind of miss band. The kids were SO talented. If I got my kick in time I was pretty good considering I had never played in band ever in my 45 years.
    BUT....that was then and this is now. Okay,no more,I promise.

Good stuff all 'round, everyone.

00Robin, I'm sure there'll be more.

Nice Kits JE, love the fender rig, which one is that? You a pete fan too
    Enjoy the weekend!

It was an old Bassman rig, that big beast only had 2 x 12"s in it.

Another thing I couldn't hold on to through all the moves...I think I paid less than $200 for that, if not less than $100.

We used to get as many broken Bassman and Bandmaster heads as we could fit onto a handtruck for $40 a piece at a NYC music store in the late '80s. No idea how many I've had all together...and there are none here now.

"Live At Leeds" has always been a favorite, and "White City", but for completely different reasons.

je

JE, I cant believe those sold for so little. Yeah Pete's the man, I would be hard pressed to pick out a favorite who album, I am also very fond of white city, great album. I also love chinese eyes, one of my favorites.
    I've obtained quite a few new items/memorabilia on pete that i will be setting up in the basement in time. The Pete section of the house as it were, I'll post some pics probably over the winter. Did you see the smashed up gibson sj- 200 that was on ebay not too lond ago, it sold for I think 4+K. Signed and everything, authentic. I was going to bid on it but the morinig of the final day it shot way out of my ball park. that would have completed the pete shrine

Been busy lately, the studio is finally actually feeling like a studio. Progress pics here:

...there are at least 14 JBL/Altec cabinets visible here, plus two cabs loaded with JBL and about 10 raw drivers strewn about. Still lots to do, especially re-setting the drums (plus wiring wiring wiring), and more stuff to store away (the 8 white Cantons on the fireplace, for instance). Getting there, at least.

je

More changes, more progress, more pics.

Inherent compromises here, I know. Speakers at multiple boundaries (ceilings, floors, corners). Lots, I mean LOTS of resonant stuff (speakers not in use, stringed instruments, drums & cymbals). Lots of background-noise-generators (HVAC system & ducts, fireplace & fan, plasma fans, music servers in the next room). But, for the multi-purpose and access-to-everything room I'd envisioned, it's working out pretty well.

Grilles on, then grilles off:

AV Dubbing Rack, drives the local 5.1 system and allows quick dupes between formats. Also can play feeds from house music servers. Really sounds surprisingly good, haven't even wired in the EQs yet, and might not.

Next pic is the Guitar/FX rack and the PA rack. Guitar rack is working out OK, and patch bay approach (selectable preamps/FX/speaker cabinets) isn't bad at all. PA rack is too crowded, and as Bo immediately noted, not logically laid out. Bottom Yamaha P2100 is moving to the control room (it powers the L100As with Control Room playback monitor feed), leaving only the Urei 6260 for JBL TR 225s and Yamaha P2100 for wedge & drum monitors, plus parametrics for each. Teac EQ sitting on top is a prop for a lesson tonight, I'm showing a local band how to use channel inserts and use EQs for feedback control.

More views...

Closer shots of guitars, etc:

Wow!

The studio looks really good je, got a lot of nice toys in there, what are your impressions so far of the set up, soundwise of course. Are you getting together with other musicians? What are you doing for sound isolation, if anything?
    Looks like a really fun room, Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    The studio looks really good je, got a lot of nice toys in there, what are your impressions so far of the set up, soundwise of course. Are you getting together with other musicians? What are you doing for sound isolation, if anything?
    Looks like a really fun room, Enjoy!
    Isolation, you mean so my wife can't hear the studio? Hmmm, maybe I should put some thought into that.... She's been with me for ~10 years, and her boyfriend for 11 years before that had a studio in his home, too. She's pretty used to it. The Control Room has a hung ceiling, and once wiring's figured out I'll do something there (the Living Room's above). The Studio's a sheetrock ceiling, and has a guest room above, not often used. This basement is underground (dug into a hillside), and you really can't hear anything outside the house, besides my nearest neighbor is so far away they're barely visible- doubt they could hear a thing.

What you see is working, mostly, but there's still a ton of wiring to do to make it all connect. I've been networking with some local musicians, and hope to start a bi-weekly get-together some time soon. The EV board sitting on the bass cabinet is a temp for testing and teaching, 'cause I still haven't determined the easiest/neatest way to tie the studio & control rooms together. One option is to make a chase through the corner of the garage, of course it's the least accessible corner of the garage and it's winter and the garage is packed with my other toys!

I'm pretty pleased with the sound so far, I expected weird issues with all the L46s up near the ceiling, and they've been surprisingly good up there. I did re-configure (previously had the L&R spread further, tweets to outside) for better/more realistic stereo, and change the location of the rears (moved them about 4' forward, which is counter-intuitive but works better in this room for more reasons than just sound). There's a Velodyne sub (10" front-firing driver, 12" down-firing passive) under the left side TR near the rack, I was having a little trouble balancing it between the two processors (Adcom for analog, Marantz for digital) but it's getting there- sounds pretty good.

The racks have bounced around a bit, too, for ease of access and wiring, and I think they're staying put now. AV Rack doesn't block the PA column too much, and Amp Rack is over near where the speakers & snake are ending up. Guitar speakers can move & point wherever desired when used, but store smoothly along the walls & under the guitar racks. Patch bay lets you choose between 4 preamps/2 power amps/3 FX processors/7 speaker options for guitar, with normalized settings for everyday use without patch cables. Pretty slick.

PA is still evolving, but the big TR225s are doing OK where they are- I wasn't expecting much from them, but they'll suffice. All I've fired up for now is an MP3 portable in mono, and an old Shure 55S from the 60s that I've been repairing. They'll only need to carry vocals and maybe keyboards sometimes, and maybe pull out for remote use once in a while. Think big Eons...only with cabinets made of compressed sponge. OK components, crrrrap for boxes. There will also be a wedge monitor plus a small vocal monitor for the drummer, so I'd bet plenty of times these TRs will be silent or really quiet.

The L100As up on the shelves with the L46s are for playback from the Control Room desk feed- really just me thinking, "Now, what can I use these things for?". Didn't love them when I first got them, but built them into the plan anyway, just for kicks. Now, powered by one of the Yamaha P2100s and stuck 7' off the ground, I'm liking them. They can relocate somewhere else & the feed can come through the dubbing rack/5.1 system, but where's the fun in that?

Next in the process is to continue with wiring & other functional stuff, then try to incorporate decoration with some acoustic treatment to control things a bit. As I said early on, density is my destiny.

je

Yes, by isolation I meant the rest of the household, but am glad to hear thats not an issue Seems like you have the whole set up well thought out and are getting good results from all your hard work. The studio looks great. You have plenty of nice toys to choose from when playing, I hope you hook up with some equally minded musicians, then you'll really start having a good time! I (and many others Im sure) would have killed for a set up like the one you have there when younger.

What do you plan on using for acoustic treatment, there seem to be so many options out there.

Whats your take on the guitars being out of the cases, do you keep them out all the time, I heard conflicting views on that issue, a lot of people do not recommend leaving them out of the case all the time???

Let us know when you start jamming down there, you're in for some real fun

ps: whatever you do decorating wise dont get rid of the Dali-esque clock, I love it!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Yes, by isolation I meant the rest of the household, but am glad to hear thats not an issue Seems like you have the whole set up well thought out and are getting good results from all your hard work. The studio looks great. You have plenty of nice toys to choose from when playing, I hope you hook up with some equally minded musicians, then you'll really start having a good time! I (and many others Im sure) would have killed for a set up like the one you have there when younger.

What do you plan on using for acoustic treatment, there seem to be so many options out there.

Whats your take on the guitars being out of the cases, do you keep them out all the time, I heard conflicting views on that issue, a lot of people do not recommend leaving them out of the case all the time???

Let us know when you start jamming down there, you're in for some real fun

ps: whatever you do decorating wise dont get rid of the Dali-esque clock, I love it!
    The Dali-clock is nice, 'cause it doesn't tick! On the other side, over the drums, is a clock that runs backwards- I love it, but it's noisy and it'll show up in the overhead mics for the cymbals...we'll see.

Usually what's out on the racks is the utility guitars (Aria bass, Vantage acoustic, Ibanez electric) and whatever project is in progress at any given time. Generally the ten nicest ones are in their cases, unless they're the current repair/adjust/upgrade victim.

All my adult life, the main motivator (and destination for money I've made) has been having/improving/utilizing a place to play music. Rental houses all had full basements devoted to a studio, the house I finally bought had a doctor's office/waiting room in a rear extension, I gutted it and made it a studio- it was the motivation to buy a house, it was the reason I chose the one I did, music side jobs made the extra money to afford it. This house we're in now is my wife's "dream house", the condition was that the basement is mine. It's smaller than I want, but with planning it's working. This is the 20th year I've had a studio, the first one was in '87 when I was 22.

A friend of mine used to work at Markertek, she hooked me up a while ago with giant rolls of foam- I still have some sealed (hope they haven't deteriorated). Something like these, 4' x 8' x 2" sheets, I have maybe four more of them still wrapped like sausages, can be cut to size:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...am&pagesize=20

First order of business here is really to start archiving the tapes that are deteriorating...so I can start solo, re-learning the equipment & the new rooms, testing things with overdubs, and gradually introduce other musicians as I meet & get to know them. Practice re-mixing old 4 & 8 track multi-track masters, practice mastering old stereo mixes. I've gotten back into running live sound for bands, that's been great to do again & keeps me alert! Lots of local friend's kids are starting to pick up intruments, and my house is again earning the studio's old nickname- "Asteio Spiti", which translates loosely from Greek as "House of Fun". I was the last bachelor among my friends (wonder why?) and my house always had the Nerf Guns, motorcycles, electronics...all the toys that wives persuaded husbands to abandon. Now I've got a nice house on top of a basement of fun, essentially. All good.

je

Thread Information