Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New house, new studio, new projects...

VERY NICE!

Holy Moly JE,
    That is some collection,and you"re a drummer? I especially like the acoustic that is either sinking or emerging from your lawn, or has that one been "sectioned"? you got some very cool guitars, that must be lots of fun, and so many different soudns too. I do believe you are right about the pretty guitars, the "maintenance" and all the accompanying
    ramifications can be burdensome. What have been some of your favorite guitars through the years, Gibsons, Fenders or something else entirely?
    Thanks for the pictures
    Fred

Holy Moly JE,
    That is some collection,and you"re a drummer? I especially like the acoustic that is either sinking or emerging from your lawn, or has that one been "sectioned"? you got some very cool guitars, that must be lots of fun, and so many different soudns too. I do believe you are right about the pretty guitars, the "maintenance" and all the accompanying
    ramifications can be burdensome. What have been some of your favorite guitars through the years, Gibsons, Fenders or something else entirely?
    Thanks for the pictures
    Fred
    Yeah, isn't it sad that I've owned hundreds of really, really nice guitars, but I still have the same drum set I paid $185 for in 1985? I do spend $$ on cymbals, occasionally. Haven't dusted the drums since 1997, though.

The guitar on the lawn was from a Yamaha promotion years ago, my friend worked in Bronin's (sp?) Music in the Bronx, he had the "Yam", I had the "aha" you see in the pic! I had it strategically velcro'd to a mirror for a long time, it raised quite a few eyebrows.

The odd part is, for so many of the years I was too poor to pay for cameras, film or developing (just look at the crappy furniture & carpet in the pic below), so there aren't a whole lot of pics of many of the guitars I've had. The pic on yesterday's post was from ~1994, this one's from ~1987. I've been thinking of doing another with the current harem, we'll see. At least they're a lot lighter then piling all the JBLs in one place.

If I had to have only one guitar, it would likely be a Paul Reed Smith or similar, they're just too damn versatile & reliable. I've had 4 of them, the green one shown above was almost "family" but a very close friend fell in love with it, so it's in Colorado now (with the Les Paul Custom in the same pic). If you asked any of my friends what guitar I'd be identified with, it'd be a flat-top Les Paul with P90s and/or a Vantage Avenger covered in stickers. I'll attach another LP Special pic I think you might like.

The basic collection now is an LP Special, and a backup that's highly modded (see pic below! ). Then, a Vantage Avenger, plus a backup. The rest are for the variety of sounds you describe- one with lipstick pickups, one baritone, one 12-string...that sort of thing.

What have you got hiding at home?

je
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Yeah, isn't it sad that I've owned hundreds of really, really nice guitars, but I still have the same drum set I paid $185 for in 1985? I do spend $$ on cymbals, occasionally. Haven't dusted the drums since 1997, though. je
    That my friend is very funny! Is that last Les Paul with the "gl-amore" girl on it original or a custom job?
    As for my collection it is quite meager indeed, this is funny though and I think you'll appreciate it, you have that warmoth Telebastard, I have a warmoth Stratobastard. The brown one is also a warmoth guit, ash body,
    has a real nice warm sound to it. I will be stripping down the red one and putting a strat neck on it and have a tabbaco sunburst put on it, had enough of that red, what the heck was I thinking. May pull out the EMG pick ups? I will probably build a nice tele from the neck that is currently on it though, probably a nice ash body with a clear finish. I also have a martin acoustic, the new ones, not high end so its nothing special just good to beat on. Have always lusted for a nice LP but have never gotten around to it. Dont play much these days, too busy, moved around quite a bit myself so will probably have to wait a little bit more on that LP, I like the Gold top standards from the 70's.
    I do want to start playing again though so my kids can get into it, I think thats the best way to pique their curiosity and encourage them to play as well, they are 2 & 4 good age to get em started on some folk/childrens stuff
    Have always heard good things about the PRS.
    I cant find the dvd right now but on the talking heads Stop Making Sense movie David Byrne plays a really cool guitar, maybe a synth guit the only signage on it is an "R" at the headstock, when I find the dvd I'll post a picture of it. Has a great sound but dont know much about them.
    Take it easy ,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    That my friend is very funny! Is that last Les Paul with the "gl-amore" girl on it original or a custom job?

As for my collection it is quite meager indeed, this is funny though and I think you'll appreciate it, you have that warmoth Telebastard, I have a warmoth Stratobastard.

Have always lusted for a nice LP but have never gotten around to it. Dont play much these days, too busy, moved around quite a bit myself so will probably have to wait a little bit more on that LP, I like the Gold top standards from the 70's.

Take it easy ,
    Fred
    The bikini babe is a product called "Axe Grafix", a plastic membrane that sticks via static, like ColorForms. A music shop near me had a load of them, and couldn't get rid of them. After a few years, I talked him into giving me his last 4- that girl, two weird graphics that looked like something out of a Cars video, and a science-fiction scene that has been described as "two greased, naked women astride fire-breathing phallic-shaped dragon heads". I'm going to need a very large guitar to do that one justice, like an Explorer, Iceman or something.

Nice guitars, yours & mine could swap necks & look more normal- but, who needs normal, anyway?

I'll find a pic to make you sad- three Gold Tops, I think a '69, a '70 and a '71. Pretty sure all started their lives as deluxes. They were my friend Jim's, he's still got one of them. Give me a minute.

I've got a pic of the sci-fi Axe Grafix, too, I'll host it on my site & mods can delete the link if inappropriate (it's pretty tame).

http://tinyurl.com/57rl9

je

Pretty funky stuff JE, the dragons and the ladies kind of remind me of that dude Vallejio or something similar to that, lots of mythical beasts and scantly (if at all) clad ladies, the ladies were way too idealised.

What do you like in acoustics, I once came across an older guild for $600 that I kick myself in the ass for not byuing, it sounded so nice. Though I wonder if I would still hold it in such high esteem now as our listening tastes do seem to change a bit.

Fred

Yeah, definitely Boris' style on the dragon lady pic.

Without knocking any other brands out there, I seem to gravitate toward Guilds. I've got a D4M (all-mahogany D4), and have had two others (D something, and a D50?). Don't know how Guild has fared since Fender took over.

I love when OTHER people play Martins, but have never fallen in love with one myself. Taylors, Alvarez, etc. are excellent as well.

Here's a couple more LP pics for you...the middle gold top is still in the family, but not here. The couch pic, the tobacco sunburst specials are here, the white Special is a '56 re-fin, it's in NY with a close friend. The tobacco standard belongs to another close friend in NY, and the cherry sunburst is long gone.

je

Nice Gold Tops!
    Man that gets the old lust going again, the middle one is the nicest. You sure have had quite a few Gibsons. Besides the Standar LP's I also like quite a few of the Gibson hollow body guits, es335's and the big Jazz ones, they look like fun. That David byrne guitar is made by Roland. Did you ever play the schecter tele's from the 80s ? if so what did you think of them? They were quite the rage for a while.
    This is fun, then you've got the whole amp issue to contemplate, boogie, hiwatt on and on.

The Schecter Teles were sported by Townshend for a while, I liked them but never owned one.

A close friend (the one with the Gold Tops) used to work at Pearce amps, and modded one of their G1s to my specs, it's been my main amp for 20 years or more. I picked another one up and it's in the process of getting the same mods. The key, to me, is that there's a sweepable mid before whatever generates the distortion, and the bass & treble controls after the distortion.

Speakers are usually 65 watt Celestions, either in a closed-back Marshall 1960A Lead or an open-backed Pearce cabinet. Usually...

I like the Boogie Triple Rectifiers, I've had some old Bandmasters I liked, and I've always liked having a little Class A tube amp around.

I had a very nice Gibson 335, but sold it. I now have a Vantage 445, a 335 copy, and it's all I need.

je

Well JE, you sure do have a good part of the spectrum coverd there, my hat's off to you. Now, what about those drums?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Well JE, you sure do have a good part of the spectrum coverd there, my hat's off to you. Now, what about those drums?

Fred
    What about them? You've seen the front & the back, listed the drums & the cymbals...whattaya looking to know? Or, do you want me to upgrade them?

je

Hi Je, I was just kidding around, I dont really know too much about drums

upgrade/

What about them? You've seen the front & the back, listed the drums & the cymbals...whattaya looking to know? Or, do you want me to upgrade them?

je
    Rack would be nice, clearing out room for another floor tom, while your at it, you could add 8", 10", 16", 18" toms. Wind chimes over hi-hat and maybe Gong behind you. Here I go again..

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    Rack would be nice, clearing out room for another floor tom, while your at it, you could add 8", 10", 16", 18" toms. Wind chimes over hi-hat and maybe Gong behind you. Here I go again..
    Trust me, this is about 40% of the amount of drums I used to use! Plus, lots of the percussion stuff is still in boxes, there will be bells/triangle/cowbell/etc., eventually. I've found that no matter how many drums I have, these are the ones I hit. I do like having another snare to my left, as well.

I'll dig for pics of the kit when it was silly big, for a while it was double this size, plus rototoms, plus a full kit of electronics scattered between. Goofy but fun.

je

Trust me, this is about 40% of the amount of drums I used to use! Plus, lots of the percussion stuff is still in boxes, there will be bells/triangle/cowbell/etc., eventually. I've found that no matter how many drums I have, these are the ones I hit. I do like having another snare to my left, as well.

I'll dig for pics of the kit when it was silly big, for a while it was double this size, plus rototoms, plus a full kit of electronics scattered between. Goofy but fun.

je
    je,
    I know what you mean. can never have enough percussion. Last year before I started selling off, I had 13 drums and 11 cymbals not counting hi-hat in the set I played. Its like the JBL addiction, you can NEVER have enough. I did notice brushes on the bass. Not many of todays drummers know what they are let alone how to use them.. If you need any more stands for cymbals let me know I think I have maybe 6-7 upstairs, I think 3 of them are boom.

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    je,
    I know what you mean. can never have enough percussion. Last year before I started selling off, I had 13 drums and 11 cymbals not counting hi-hat in the set I played. Its like the JBL addiction, you can NEVER have enough. I did notice brushes on the bass. Not many of todays drummers know what they are let alone how to use them.. If you need any more stands for cymbals let me know I think I have maybe 6-7 upstairs, I think 3 of them are boom.
    Uh-oh, more reasons for a road trip...I'll be in touch!

I did a lot of musical theater, and it was honestly the best training I've ever had on drums. Tempo, reading, dynamics, subtlety...all improved from the experiences. I use brushes occasionally still, but I use rods really frequently:

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/rute.html

http://www.flixproducts.com/

je

Thread Information