Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New house, new studio, new projects...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    The Dali-clock is nice, 'cause it doesn't tick! On the other side, over the drums, is a clock that runs backwards- I love it. je
    Thats great! if one isnt paying attention that could really throw ones sense of time out the window

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    First order of business here is really to start archiving the tapes that are deteriorating... Now I've got a nice house on top of a basement of fun, essentially. All good. je
    Sounds like you have a hell of a project ahead of you there, how many years of archival material do you have. Its gotta be a substatial quantity... Have Fun, I mean it, it'll be interesting for you to come across stuff you probably forgot about.
    Good deal!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Sounds like you have a hell of a project ahead of you there, how many years of archival material do you have. Its gotta be a substatial quantity... Have Fun, I mean it, it'll be interesting for you to come across stuff you probably forgot about.
    Good deal!
    Quick estimate would be about 100 4-track masters, and about 300 8-track masters. These need to be transferred to a digital format & backed up. Many could use a re-mix, so that increases the time exponentially. Depends how good the music was, and how good my existing stero mix is.

Stereo masters...who knows. Lots. Most of the DATs need to be baked & duped, too.

Then you get to the video tapes, they're deteriorating, as well. Urgh.

Project for the last couple weeks has been grooming the MP3 library-twelve hard drives with ~175,000 songs between them (so, likely about 40,000 unique songs). Main collection + two backups, newer stuff + two backups, jazz/instrumental/classical + two backups, studio tunes + two backups. Comparing for dupes, transferring to correct collections, editing text, etc. Would be lots easier if I had the $$$ to just go get all new, larger drives, but money's too tight. So, I'm transferring between a couple outboard USB drives & dumping to the music server drives. Not fun, but the access to tunes is ultimately worth it.

I'm going to need some giant HD arrays, at some point. Hmph.

je

By Jove! thats a full time job! Let us know when you're a quater of the way into it
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information