Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ProAc studio 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Give me the serial numbers and I'll check for you. I'm seeing Stewart on Monday.
    thanx. No serial numbers anywhere. LFs are metric 7 inch approx. frames.

I sent Proac customer service an email 2 days ago. Have yet no reply.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Holy $hit , forum readers !!!!!

I finished up the refoams on these ProAcs this morning. Incredible !!!! Could easily keep these for mains if I didn't have others.

They are superb. highs and image are really special, even the little 6.5 LFs do a nice job. Gonna hook in a JBL 10 inch sub and see how that combo sounds.

Very impressed , so far

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Give me the serial numbers and I'll check for you. I'm seeing Stewart on Monday.
    Hey Merlin

cud you ask him about those tweets ? they are titanium , for sure. All they say is " made in Germany".

These are the best sounding small 2 way that I've ever heard ... are the larger ones that good ?

cabinetry is first rate also.

thx
    TOM

hey wolf ya gotta let me borrow that horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    hey wolf ya gotta let me borrow that horseshoe
    no HS needed. Actually, I did not find these initially. We don't get to the store till about 10 AM. Others wait for the doors to open and run in.
    I network with the guys who pickup the same things I do. We all trade back and forth.
    Traded a crappy Kenwood receiver (that I hadn't yet purchased) for the speakers. He likes receivers , I like speakers.
    So, $5 for the speakers - I now have $22 in them, and another $5 for a Sony jds 501 mini disk deck that worked just fine. Got home and found I'd sold a 25 cent book for $10, so it all worked out just fine.

TimG
    The tweeters look like an old model from MB Quart. Madisound has another model on clearance right now here http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....6986&pid=2152
    I'm not sure about their different models but it is possible you could takes the domes out of these or maybe refit them with your faceplates to get them to work. The crossover may need to be reworked though.

Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    The tweeters look like an old model from MB Quart.
    tweets are just fine. sound great. have a very heavy dual magnet structure. wired in a JBL 8 inch SUB and makes a very musical combo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    tweets are just fine.
    Were you able to fix the dented one?

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Were you able to fix the dented one?

John
    I opened it up, removed the mags, and smoothed out from the rear.
    Nobody wud miss my fix, but its now more of the orig shape. looks kinda like a golf ball on the surface. but REALLY does not affect sound. it was titanium on both sides, think it was solid.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Nobody wud miss my fix, but its now more of the orig shape.
    The frustrating thing is that you just KNOW some old repair shop has a replacement tweeter or diaphragm sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere - they probably don't even know what it goes to...

John

TimG
    "REALLY does not affect sound" That is what people on ebay say all the time when they sell tweeters with crushed domes.

You may be able to convince yourself of that, but ask yourself this, If you were buying a new set of speakers with crushed domes from Best Buy, and the salesman told you it "REALLY does not affect sound" would you believe them and pay full market price for the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    "REALLY does not affect sound" That is what people on ebay say all the time when they sell tweeters with crushed domes.

You may be able to convince yourself of that, but ask yourself this, If you were buying a new set of speakers with crushed domes from Best Buy, and the salesman told you it "REALLY does not affect sound" would you believe them and pay full market price for the speakers?
    Oh , absolutly not. but I have a little experience (40 some odd years) , I really listened closely today to both and heard no difference. The one is now roundish again, if I put the grills back on and mixed them up...you couldnt pick out the "less than perfect" one. And they sure wont sell at retail again. And when I sell , the buyer will know what repairs I've done.
    They are just rare enuff and stunningly good looking, that the right buyer will look past their flaws, as I did when buying my F's.
    I spent nearly a month detailing them, did that even slow me down ? Not for a nanosec.

had them playing this AM, from the kitchen, they reminded me of the 4410's

ProAc Studio 2

Hi. You can tell I'm new here. I usually hang out over on AK, where I have admired you from afar. But I decided to admire you from up close because this is the most cogent discussion of ProAc Studio x I have been able to find.

I picked up a set of Studio 2's that resemble these a lot. Same tweeter, I think. Mine have 8" woofers made by Tannoy. They have rubber surrounds attached to polypropylene cones. What are the surrounds like on the Studio 1's? One of mine is torn, so I am looking for a source, but the speaker that is intact sounds great. There is certainly not much info on the WWW about these speakers.

Let me say that I was going to join anyway, because I am just starting a refoam project on a set of L112's I found in a thrift store. Someone from AK referred me to this site, and to Rick Cobb.

Thread Information