Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ProAc studio 1 speakers

ProAc studio 1 speakers

I picked up this little , but very heavy , pair today. Was attracted to the veneer. grills look good. LF need refoaming. one hf looks like titanium needs straightening.

Laid them on backs and put signal to them...WOW ...even in this condition they sound like there is some real potential there.

searched google and can't find much....anybody know about these. ? (don't ask where I got them or how much, some dufus wud respond that he doesn't believe me )
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

those are worth getting properly repaired... I believe the company is
    still in business. -grumpy

You probably found this already:

British Company:
    www.proac-loudspeakers.com

U.S. distributor:
    Modern Audio (410) 486-5975 [email protected]

Didn't find any "Studio 1" models under "discontinued models".

So, now much were they at the Goodwill???

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So, now much were they at the Goodwill???
    dont want to start another duel with the S. and dont like having my honesty questioned. What was the best 4 door mid sized BMW series ?

thanx for the link....one comment there was pretty nice....."Proac have an extremely and addictive, musical sound, slightly bright, but they are just so right. Others may be as good or better, but proacs do have some magic to them."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    What was the best 4 door mid sized BMW series ?
    E28 535i/s/M5, hands down. The e34 M5 came close but in terms of what makes a BMW a BMW, the E28 series wins. Everything that came after was a reaction to the living-room-on-wheel Lexus LS. Which sounds better; JBL Summit or Mcintosh ML-4Cs? If you say the latter, then try the former with a pillow over your ears (the equivalent to the E39 5-series).

I found several references to Studio 1 MkII, mostly Canadian, but nothing on the original Studio 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    E28 535i/s/M5, hands down. The e34 M5 came close but in terms of what makes a BMW a BMW, the E28 series wins. Everything that came after was a reaction to the living-room-on-wheel Lexus LS. Which sounds better; JBL Summit or Mcintosh ML-4Cs? If you say the latter, then try the former with a pillow over your ears (the equivalent to the E39 5-series).

I found several references to Studio 1 MkII, mostly Canadian, but nothing on the original Studio 1.
    all true , but I was kinda giving a coded answer to your question, since you and I own E34's.

I cant find anything on the studio 1 either. REALLY looks like a titanium dome on the HF.

many pro ac models appear to use seas or scanspeak components and maybe the parts you need can be sourced there

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    many pro ac models appear to use seas or scanspeak components and maybe the parts you need can be sourced there
    Jim

I opend it up to smooth out the dome and remove the LF for carrying to refoamers , so that the foam ring is correct..

both drivers are made in Germany. LF says "made especially for CELEF audio, INT"

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    Hi all,

many Proac drive units are sourced through DST and latterly Volt, but most of these are custom designs to Stewart's specifications - usually with voicecoil mods or somesuch. I have a few Proac bits lying around (mainly custom Seas Excel drive units.

Sadly I don't have anything for the Studio 1. All Proacs are delightfully musical when still working. The studio range remain popular monitors today and I believe it might be Mastersound in NY that has the mighty D100's in their mastering suite.

Celef

and ProAc are the same entity. Stuart Tyler is THE man and as far as I know is still in charge. Worth contacting them first re your foams.
    Those speakers were quite pricy when they were on the go. Very clean if a bit lean sounding and they def. need stands about 12" tall. You cant go wrong at $40 I would say and well worth the effort renovating them.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Those speakers were quite pricy when they were on the go. Very clean if a bit lean sounding and they def. need stands about 12" tall. You cant go wrong at $40 I would say and well worth the effort renovating them.
    Good luck.
    thanx. I found out why they are so heavy. The cabinets are 1 1/4in thick - all around. The LF is quite heavy too. Found out the HF IS titanium domed FOCAL.

Orig sold for $1300. Last pair of mk2's went for $465 on da bay. but they were just black cabs.

The teac veneer cabs cleaned up nicely, and soaked in the oil. The English sure knew how to make speakers.

$40 ? thats WAAAYYYY more than I paid. Should have $21 in them AFTER refoams.

when I first noticed them laying on their backs with grills off...I saw the beautiful wood and titanium HF's, on the way , running over to them , I thot they were 18ti's for a moment.

I dont remember Pro Ac using a Focal tweet so i would email to check on that also. Having said that Focal make some totl drivers and those tweets you have are supposed to have inverted domes. All i'm suggesting is do a bit of serious checking on what you have because in the end these speakers will be worth geting right.

Give me the serial numbers and I'll check for you. I'm seeing Stewart on Monday.

Thread Information