Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2405H Question

Question 2405H Question

I see this driver is used in many different JBL arrays. I have a question on it's power handling. In the Everest DD55000 the system recommended power is 250 watts yet this driver is only rated at Continuous Program Power :40 Watts above 6kHz. ???
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AME WN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190080890888&rd=1&rd=1
    I won this one on e-bay and I'm thinking of re-configuring my center channel and I want to use this as a super tweeter 10k and up 18db per octave cut off. What are the power limitations going to be? I'm going to be running roughly 400 plus into it Adcom Power, GFA-5802. Will it turn into dust??????

J/S-S1A

RIP 2009
    Two things about drivers like the 2405H. First, the range they operate in, (usually 6K and up), has very little sonic energy to begin with, (for a given frequency, doubling it requires half the power for the same output - that's the essence of pink noise), and second - that driver is so efficient that if you played it anywhere near it's max output at audible frequencies you'd surely be driven out of the room!

I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

John

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...2405/page2.jpg

this 2405?

I am hoping that you will have passive networks in there?
    and the 400 watts is the amount of amp output into the cabinet, if driven fully....

I run bullets (2402?) with 18db butterworths above @ 7000Hz with a Crown D-75... plenty of power for the drivers....

they don't need much IMHO

Look at the specs.

ONE watt will drive you out of the room....

2405H

This driver, and yes I will be using a passive network with mylar caps. Also do you think it will be to bright? L-Pad for toning down????

ULTRA HIGH DRIVER
    2405H
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response : 6.5Hz - 21.5kHz
    Continuous Program Power :40 Watts above 6kHz
    Dispersion 90° x 25° @ 16kHz
    Minimum Cut-off Frequency : 7k Hz or higher
    Sensitivity (SPL) : 105dB
    Voice Coil Diameter : 1.75" / 44mm
    Voice Coil Material : Edgewound Aluminum Ribbon
    Diaphragm Material Aluminum Alloy Flux Density : 1.75 Tesla
    Magnetic Assembly Weight 1.5kg. / 4.125lbs.
    Net Weight : 2.3 kg. / 5 lbs.
    MOUNTING INFORMATION
    Overall Diameter 4.75" / 121 mm
    Overall Depth 3.75" / 95mm
    Baffle Cutout 3.125" / 79mm

J/S-S1A

The 2405 sounds best crossed over at 8K or higher. 18db Butterworth ( 3rd order ) filters are what I like personally.

A 400wpc amp is WAYYY too big for them. The 2405 will be spitty, shrieky, and harsh sounding with such a huge amp. 1 little ol Crown D75 is plenty.

Besides the power, you must also consider the input sensitivity of the amp you use for tweeters, as when you cross over at 8K there isnt enough signal to drive a larger amp with an input sensitivity of we shall say 1.5v or higher satisfactorily. The input sensitivity of the Crown D75 is 1v, and will be much more responsive to the small signal you send into the amp, resulting in not having to push your system, or active xover output level as hard, and will sound good.

FWIW, the Crown D75 is a great match, synergistically, to these JBL tweeters. If you can find a Crown Power Line 2, I like them even better.
    scottyj

You must match the sensitivity of the 2405 to that of the mid/high driver and whatever network it's running on.

Unless that's 105 dB, you'll likely have to pad it down, yes.

I believe Greg Timbers suggested the ring radiators sound best crossed through a dedicated chip amp:

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    The ring radiator hates passive networks. A major improvement in the upper range would be to drive the 2405 from its own little amp. You only need 3 or 4 v rms. The 2405 does 110 dB for 2.83v. It is padded way down in the system. There is little real power at those frequencies anyway. You only need to know the voltage output of the amp, power is irrelevant. The 2405 is about 12 ohms and won't draw much current. I would use some little chip amp with a 2ond or 3rd order low level highpass in front of it. Take off the passive network to the ring and just feed it straight. Make sure the amp doesn't make a DC thump on turn on or turn off. That will fatigue the diaphragm. The amp will also have to have really low noise characteristics as any hiss will be really loud directly into the ring. I used to use an old Marantz 1030 integrated amp to run my rings. I could separate out the power amp section and the tweeters always sounded really good.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    L-Pad for toning down????

Yeah, you definitely need the L-Pad to attenuate them.

So, the 400wpc amp drives the entire speaker system? Youll need to pad the tweeter down.
    scottyj

2405H

Scott,
    I'll be using the same drivers that are in my Avitar. I will be building a new enclosure for this new idea.

RF-7 Specifications (Klipsch)

frequency response 32Hz-20kHz ±3dB power handling 250 w max continuous (1000 w peak)sensitivity 102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter nominal impedance 8 ohms crossover frequency 2200Hz

Looks like the sensitivity is very close on the drivers, and the power used (left channel of the GFA-5802) will be going to the whole center channel system. One 10, One Tweeter rolled off at 10k 6db per octave, and then the 2405H coming in at 10k 18db per octave. The other 10 in the pic is driven off of the right side of the amp LFE in a seperate enclosure. That driver is out of a Klipsch RSW-10

J/S-S1A

You`ll still need the L Pad. These things put out, very efficient. 1 watt, as Zilch said, will make em go, and go loud at that!

Put it another way, I run JBL 2402,s in my place, sixteen of them, only 2 Crown D75, or Power Line 2,s, to drive them. 10 watts to 12.5 watts per tweeter, they are in arrays of four each, and each channel of the amps drives four JBL 2402,s. I also have six 2404,s one on each stack, 1 crown D75 runs them to satisfactory level.

I also have six 2405,s, I was going to use them in place of the 2404,s. Let me tell you, they sounded just as loud as the 2402 bullet with the SAME amount of power as the bullet, and the bullet is rated 5db higher sensitivity ( 2402 = 110db 1w@1m ) ( 2405 = 105db 1w @ 1m ). I was surprised, but the slot sounds as loud as the bullet, but, the slot does go higher, and that is audible.

Through the years, I have experimented with bigger amps, power levels that more closely resemble the tweeters rated power capacity, and each time, I run back to the smaller amps. The JBL tweeters are very efficient.

Once you get it set up, your ears will tell you what to do.

scottyj

2405H

Thank you for the advise. I'll post pics as the project progresses should be very interesting, and quite interesting to hear when done.

J/S-S1A

I do have one question for you. I`m assuming the OTHER tweeter you mention is the horn in the center of the cabinet?

If so, why a 6db roll off? I tend to think you would want the roll off the same as the tweeters high pass, to avoid phase discrepancies, and too much overlap between the two different drivers.
    scottyj

2405H

Scott,
    Yes I have thought of going that direction for less overlap. The middle driver is the horn it's the high frequency horn 8" square 90°x60° Tractrix Horn in the RF-7.
    The 2200hz high pass in the factory system is also an 18db network.
    I'm trying to remember from past education building x-overs. That if I run a 12 or 18db low pass after a 18 db high pass does it get wired out of phase for phase correction on the input side? Then wiring the 18db high pass at 10k is that in phase our out on the input side?

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Jeff

How high do your horns go now?? That 21Khz is real the output drops off like a rock above that. At 10K with the driver spacing just go with what sounds best as the phase will be difficult if not impossible to get right because of the short wavelenghts at those frequencies.

Rob

2405H Addition

Rob,
    The only specs I have access to is what is published, as stated in above thread they go to 21.5k. Klipsch does not, and will not divulge any driver parameters it's all top secret.
    The reason I'm thinking of adding this driver is I have heard it used as a super tweeter in a center channel application kind of like where I'm heading, and the addition to detail was incredible. I liked it, and I think it would be a nice touch to my system.
    Also thank you for the input on my phasing question. I know I'm way up there on the bandwidth so as far as safety goes I also should have no issues with correct phasing? So running all x-overs parallel is ok (high pass and low pass) on the horn and the 2405H?

Jeff
    J/S-S1A

Thread Information