Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Separate Altec section?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    KJ----I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.

In any event I've owned a ton of both Altec and JBL gear and I come here to talk with and learn from fellow hornies regardless of the gear they use. And I don't give a good Goddam whether you approve or not.
    Such harsh words!

I come here for basically the same thing though not horned systems but I don't constantly say that my SHIT is better than yours all the time.Maybe when I started the thread about my DIY cabinets I should have labeled it 250ti's cabinet refinishing and by the way their better looking than any Altec cabinets.

You don't need my approval for anything but you should read what I said and not assume something that wasn't there.

This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject. If you are not one of those than I don't see an issue here. There is nothing wrong in stating one's opinion about anything but when you hijack threads to promote your views of your speakers then I find fault with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject.
    we don't have anyone like that, do we ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    we don't have anyone like that, do we ?
    No.

All those guys are over at the Bose forum.

scottyj

This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject.
    As I recall, you were all poised to defend the feckwit underdogs ...

... 'til they kicked you in the teeth.

[Everyone deserves a fair chance, albeit but brief.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    As I recall, you were all poised to defend the feckwit underdogs ...

... 'til they kicked you in the teeth.

[Everyone deserves a fair chance, albeit but brief.... ]
    tu-che!

I will always defend someone's right to post their views but what I will not defend is someone's deliberate attempt to interrupt the Status Quo.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    About...?

About...?

About...?

Who, exactly...?

I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

It is quite important to remember, just because it is on the Internet, does not make it truth.

In all this rhetoric, if you are "questioning" Zilch's motives/actions, I can only offer that he NEVER posts from a position of authority - he is a very altruistic, curious and insightful soul who measures all manner of transducer configuration just for the hell of it. I truly believe he has no agenda, other than to test every damned possible configuration conceptualized, whether it would make sense to JBL or not. He is our "team in the field"....

That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

I got off in too many directions and I'm back to work so my typing fingers ,both of them, get a little fat around this time. I looks like Zilch didn't have any difficulty understanding the part that he was in. His reply showed he knew. The flinch part, never mind I think you do that well I'm glad it's not me. Nobody wants to fight with the kids on the short bus. No glory. But if they continue to heckle. Next subject. I was saying James Lansing didn't make any money. Harsh? Where did that come from? I think I took that straight from the history. If you go broke. If you borrow to try to keep your doors open. If you take on partners you don't really want to. Maybe I didn't read that right but I think I did. I wasn't saying that the Altec stuff is more like his than current JBL. It might be but I really hadn't thought of it like that. I just don't see that much heritage in the drivers that most on this forum discuss most of the time. I wasn't putting a value judgement on that or anything. Some of the HF drivers are pretty direct descendents and I think you can change magnets and still say that. The edge wound voice coil unless someone else did that first. The 4 inch voice coils that still exist in a few drivers. Most of the drivers on this forum, I guess. But as I see it he designed his drivers for maximum efficiency and then figured out how to linearize them later but that may just have been a product of his time. There was limited power and limited power handling. EV claimed in their literature of the day that the 4 inch coil was a product of the Alnico that they could get at the time (I don't know the truth) (EV claimed that they [EV] had better machining equipment and so were able to make it smaller)
    And I'm saying the quality thing even. It may have been a thing with him or it may have been a way to get and keep his customers of the day.

I am amazed to see that many references to other brand diaphragms and complementry refrences with praise! and no explosion. I wouldn't have dared.

My Altecs sound GREAT!!!!!

tu-che!

I will always defend someone's right to post their views but what I will not defend is someone's deliberate attempt to interrupt the Status Quo.
    Really, they do. I mean it. They are awesome. The best I've ever heard. This is the Altec section, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Really, they do. I mean it. They are awesome. The best I've ever heard. This is the Altec section, isn't it?
    O.K., Raiser, tell the truth, now -- are ya SURE they're better than them stacked L100s you brought in here?

Zilch, uh, how can I say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    O.K., Raiser, tell the truth, now -- are ya SURE they're better than them stacked L100s you brought in here?
    It's a tossup Now, that was a fun thread. Kind of a Storm-like experience. Fortunately for me, I'm a lot older than him and being called on the carpet doesn't result in permanent rug burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Next subject. I was saying James Lansing didn't make any money. Harsh? Where did that come from? I think I took that straight from the history.
    Me? I truly thought you were referring to Zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    ...that was one of the most BIZARRE posts I've seen to date.
    Obviously, I got lost too.

I've proved again, that I should stop trying to read your posts, Thom. I only persist when they are in my area of "moderation oversight".
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

About...?

About...?

About...?

Who, exactly...?

I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

It is quite important to remember, just because it is on the Internet, does not make it truth.

In all this rhetoric, if you are "questioning" Zilch's motives/actions, I can only offer that he NEVER posts from a position of authority - he is a very altruistic, curious and insightful soul who measures all manner of transducer configuration just for the hell of it. I truly believe he has no agenda, other than to test every damned possible configuration conceptualized, whether it would make sense to JBL or not. He is our "team in the field"....

That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

Me? I truly thought you were referring to Zilch.

Obviously, I got lost too.

I've proved again, that I should stop trying to read your posts, Thom. I only persist when they are in my area of "moderation oversight".

Objection, close it , frustration , banter, waffle.

A moderator's nightmare. I really have trouble understanding how you guys think sometimes.

The impression is you live in a really small place.

Having owned 515's myself there is a certainly something special about the tapestry of the Altec history.

What's lackings on the local front here is a steady flow contributions from those who are capable of articulating the technical aspects of Altec Lansing's innovations many of which have their roots in the Cinema and Pro Sound reinforcement segments. An accurate discussion on this topic with those of their JBL counter parts would be quite revealing.

ie We never see a forum discussion on the Manatray horn and the equivalent JBL product?

For those who think Altec is gone and forgotten well its like the JBL only exists in America thing around here. WTF Are you kidding.

Altec to this day enjoy a serious following in Japan and Asia in hi end audio circles. Altec drivers often fetch far higher prices from collectors and seriously well heeled enthusiasts.

While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data.

Zilch incidentally is Giskard's noble understudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    ...While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data.
    That was pointed out in post #5 of this very thread. But you'd have to have read the thread to know that - a practice which could also help keep things in context for you.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote: "Our Library has an Altec drivers, cabinets, catalogues and reference section, here: Altec Library at Lansing Heritage Forum"

I did actually read the entire thread however some of the posts I cannot actually understand!

We seem to have a lots of posts that are impossible to grasp lately.

Written in rambling block and without appropriate structure no wonder threads loose focus and we have pointless sparring over childish back talk. I tend to ignore stuff I don't find appealing or easy to read and understand.

Perhaps this is a issue moderators should pay more attention too.

The re statement of the Library is useful as a general pointer for those glancing at this thread as like a number of other threads I very much doubt anyone with better things to do with their time would care to read anything past the first and last few posts.

Quote "While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data."

My actual statement incidentally was in reference to highlighting who the traffic on the forums are as a majority (meaning Local U.S.A residence who are JBL Consumer "users" of vintage JBL equipment) relative to the significance of the Altec Library.

How many read the Library? My guess is not many new members given the type of questions asked.

Of course of number of the foundation members know what's up there because they sourced and kindly donated the data.

Amen.

Nightbrace
    This forum has more information on Altec than any other online forum... And the library section is GREAT!

But the harsh reality is that 50 years from now, Altec will be nothing but a relic while a lot of JBL's will still be rockin' on. This I understand. Its almost to that point now /

So why not have a "special" place to talk about them while we still can? Not saying what we have here isn't special, it definitely is, and I hope that threads concerning Altec don't continue to become a pissing contest between JBL and Altec in the future as both companies can be appreciated and loved for what they are without the blatant attacks being made.

Nightbrace, you know what?

Today, in Storms thread, I spoke Altec talk, my 808,s that we use to use as tweeters, which I still have as well as 288-16G,s, and other assorted Altec goods, all my 15,s etc. Well, I did that to some degree, for you to read.

The only thing is, its all the same stuff I spoke about when I first joined this forum. None of it changed, and although I am still an Altec lover, if you searched the archives you would find my Altec talk from the past.

Unfortunately, yes, in 50 years, Altec will be a mere memory of some era long bygone, other companies may still be here in buisiness.

But, you can see, we can talk Altec anywhere on this forum, you like what you like, just dont expect to make everyone feel as you do. However, I share your affinity for Altecs sound. I just get tired of talking about it over and over.

Incidentally, my dad will still tell me stories from time to time about when he was a kid, in the 40,s and they use to ` watch ` the radio when The Shadow was on. He loved radio programs, but, today he has a flat screen Hi Def HT system, and watches DVD,s! Times change, and so do we.

scottyj

Thread Information