Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Separate Altec section?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    That is just being silly. Altec and JBL go together, for sure.
    I think that's the point.... they do go together and I think most people can appreciate that.

Widget

Time to close the thread? -grumpy

No.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Time to close the thread? -grumpy
    still a solid five or six pages to go....

So....

do the designs (Clones) directly attributable to former Altec or JBL employees who had since moved on deserve a special forum too?
    Last edited by louped garouv; 02-15-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: I like it as is... I would be too lazy to troll through more subforums....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    No.
    OK, spew on, dudes! (and dudettes)

We interrupt this program to bring you a special announcement!

Enjoy and soda crackers, lunch for the elite!

And, always tastes better when listening to Altec and JBL!

scottyj

"do the designs (Clones) directly attributable to former Altec or JBL employees who had since moved on deserve a special forum too?"

No but I think GPA, Emilar and Radian are worthy of discussion on this forum. They are certainly part of the Lansing heritage.

I think a discussion of the actual performence of Radian diaphragms in JBL and Altec bodies would be interesting, evidently there are people out there who think JBL drivers that use titanium diaphragms sound better with aluminum Radians in them.

I think a discussion of the actual performence of Radian diaphragms in JBL and Altec bodies would be interesting ...
    I wouldn't mind seeing that either... perhaps get a reading from a moderater regarding
    where to start it (technical, DIY vs. general, related). -grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing that either... perhaps get a reading from a moderater regarding
    where to start it (technical, DIY vs. general, related). -grumpy
    I ordered two radian aluminum phragms for a couple of my 2441,s.

MANY pro,s are telling me they have switched to these, smoother sound, due to the mylar surround. Cant say for sure how they will work out, but, too many guys telling me they have been liking this better.

Definitely worth talking about in DIY once I get em and try em. Heck, you cant beat the price, either!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    yup, I gots no clue as to what it was about. Mebbe if he started a paragraph, now and then, it wud be readable, or not ?

I don't think so. I have read this 3 times trying to get a meaning from it and I must say I still ain't figured out what he tried to say.

Not to be a smart A** here but I say that altec's have about 2% of loyalty factor here on this forum and should only receive 2% of acknowledgement. Though I will not mock anyone's decisision to own or preference to buy these speakers it is obvious that (at least here) are not much in demand.

I have never heard an Altec and wouldn't mind doing so but even if it turned out that I like them on par with my JBL'S and even if I was to post that acknowlegement here it still would only be 2% of loyalty on that brand on this forum

After being here a while and reading more posts than I respond to I have found the overwhelming majority here like JBL. If I liked Altec's as much as my JBL'S I would not flaunt them here in this forum because I see where the loyalty lies and I would be smart enough not to open myself up to undue criticism.

From what I read here is that the only thing JBL and ALTEC have in common is the last name. Infinity is now a speaker made by JBL and thank God they are not discussed here.

In my world I like JBL and will at times "flaunt" them here but, not to excess , because it gets old to continue telling everyone how perfect my speakers are.

In this forum you need to read to see where most people are coming from and with that in mind, I have one question, Why continue to argue about a brand that has no great following here?

If I had posted a thread on my 250ti's and the majority of the people made remarks to the effect that they weren't all that great,I would argue that they were full of S**T and would have responded in that tone in that thread. Now do you really think I would start another thread to the same effect just to have to defend them again? HELL NO!

When I start thread's, I like one line reply's because, I am too lazy to type and believe me I'm not going to subject myself to posting thread's that I have to defend all the time. Geez, that's too much typing.

I'm not picking on the Altec guys here, only saying that if the concensus here is that they are not particularry cared for then why do you think by throwing them in our faces everyday that it will actually change anything?

It is obvious to me that most people here are a little touchy when their tastes are questioned and then I must say that your intentions should be questioned.

I ask for opinions on what speakers compare to my 250ti's as I don't really know and just want to get a sense of compatibility. I know how they sound obviously since I have them in my house but I will never say you should get rid of your 4435's because my 250ti's sound better. I like my speakers the way they are. If I choose to buy a new speaker I will come here and ask opinions but my ears will be the final judge.

In buying my 250ti's I relied solely on the threads that I read here on their performance. I was able to read through the BU**SH** and decided to get them without hearing them first. My decision to buy them was the best I ever made.

If I ask someone if they like my 250ti's and they tell me "sorry but that speaker is not for me" then that answer is good for me as well. I will not continue to push him to like them because then the answer becomes "hey asshole I already told you I don't like them" then what do you have, you have a person that is now pissed and doesn't care why I think my speakers are so great.

In the end you will not convert many here to the Altec's ,just too many opinion's against these speakers. Good speaker or bad speaker doesn't matter anymore,what matters is how many people you are pissing off about those Altec's. You continue to say yes to Altec and people here continue to say No but somehow you just don't understand that.

I will also ask before you reply to this thread with your guns blazing that you read this thread and understand what I wrote,don't assume something that I didn't say.I can not give an opinion on these speakers because I have never heard or owned them. My reply here is only for those who continue to flaunt these speakers when most take offense to any flaunting.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames

From what I read here is that the only thing JBL and ALTEC have in common is the last name.
    I think I must have read the material differently.....

When I start thread's, I like one line reply's because, I am too lazy to type and believe me I'm not going to subject myself to posting thread's that I have to defend all the time. Geez, that's too much typing.
    why bother with the darned interwebs then....
    nothing but alot of typing on the damn interewb if you ask me....

maybe VoIP will catch on and instead of typing everyone can get on a party line to get information....

In the end you will not convert many here to the Altec's ,just too many opinion's against these speakers. Good speaker or bad speaker doesn't matter anymore,what matters is how many people you are pissing off about those Altec's. You continue to say yes to Altec and people here continue to say No but somehow you just don't understand that.
    I think there are a fair amount of folks around here that do use the Altec drivers/woofers/horns and whatnot... depends on what you are looking to accomplish...

(passively aggressively) bashing another member (or discouraging them from posting) because of his desire to be the town crier dosen't really do any good either IMHO.....
    Last edited by louped garouv; 02-15-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarification that the bashing is not direct, but more subversive IMO

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post

maybe VoIP will catch on and instead of typing everyone can get on a party line to get information....
    Gee, I hope not. :shock:

It's better to write stupid than speak and prove it. Video would be even worse for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Gee, I hope not. :shock:

It's better to write stupid than speak and prove it.

Just tooo F**kin HILARIOUS!

Dome - 100 pts!

Visitors - 0.
    scottyj

KJ----I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.

In any event I've owned a ton of both Altec and JBL gear and I come here to talk with and learn from fellow hornies regardless of the gear they use. And I don't give a good Goddam whether you approve or not.

I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.
    Seems that's what Thom was tryin' to say, also....

Thread Information