Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Separate Altec section?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?

Thanks.

-Storm.
    I dont think we really need a seperate section for Altec, its ok to discuss Altec anywhere on this forum.

But, IF we do get an Altec section, then I want a Gauss section, a TAD section, a Jensen section, a Stephens section, a Tannoy section, an EV section, a Fostex section, a Klipsch section, etc.

Did I leave any out?
    scottyj

Scott -

That is just being silly. Altec and JBL go together, for sure. Stop with the ridiculous banter.

I guess an Altec section it out of reach.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

-Storm.

Scott -

Altec and JBL go together, for sure.

-Storm.
    Yes they do, and in my place BOTH Altec and JBL work together in the same system, quite harmoniously, I might add.

scottyj

I'm a member with more interest in Altec gear than JBL, but I have no trouble navigating the site as-is. I really appreciate all the efforts from the folks that provide the resource, and am embarrassed when crap like this likely makes them wonder why they do it. Criticism of the forum format like this is no different than being invited to someone's home for dinner, then complaining that you don't like what was served, and would prefer to have something else....just plain rude.

The Altec products many of us use have been out of production for a long time now, and applications, tweaks, etc have been discussed to death in this and other open forums. There's simply little left to discuss. New users sporadically appear, get the info they need, and go on with their lives (those that have lives anyway).

Anyone that's tired of being bashed no matter where they go should begin to wonder if there's a reason....

Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else. I don't really wish to cross sabres with anyone but sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing without getting tottally formal about it. Hopefuly I'm not irritating people as much or more. Personaly I think that most of the transducers discussed on this forum which I start to say "that's not vintage" except I guess the calender would call me wrong, are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods. Don't dick I'm not throwing stones, I like the forum, and there is a wealth of information on the sight but on the forum most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve, I believe, is subject to debate. We may not know enough about his motives to judge what he would and would not approve of. The company, long ago quit caring one way or the other. (this is as it appears to me. I can't state it as absolute fact, although I believe it is) I guess the world has changed so it makes any look backward sort of like a fun house mirror. He never really made money. This might be because he wanted his product to good or it might be if someone had actually shown him how to make a fortune he would have become Morse Electrophonic if that was what it took. I doubt it but we don't know. The way most industries are sort of incestuous. 9 People move from this company to make that company. this design is stolen but it never really gets developed by the company it is stolen from. It's hard to say how many pieces from other companies also came from this beginning, although I'll give you that not too many look like it. Got long winded didn't say much good evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else.
    Well, you certainly got that part right, Thom.

I don't have the standing to say what I really think, but it's pretty clear a bunch of others see it similarly.

I'm on the verge of putting up a poll; options crafted while on the toilet....

Every time I see Zilch ... I sort of flinch
    About...?

...sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing...
    About...?

Hopefully I'm not irritating people as much or more.
    About...?

Personally... most of the transducers discussed on this forum ... are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods.
    Who, exactly...?

...most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve (this syntax confuse me - who is who...), I believe, is subject to debate.
    I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

It is quite important to remember, just because it is on the Internet, does not make it truth.

In all this rhetoric, if you are "questioning" Zilch's motives/actions, I can only offer that he NEVER posts from a position of authority - he is a very altruistic, curious and insightful soul who measures all manner of transducer configuration just for the hell of it. I truly believe he has no agenda, other than to test every damned possible configuration conceptualized, whether it would make sense to JBL or not. He is our "team in the field"....

We may not know enough about his motives...
    That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

He never really made money.
    Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

Got long winded didn't say much good evening.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I know why there is not going to be able to have a separate Altec thread - because all these people want an easier way to find the Altec posts so they can pick them apart and criticize people.

-Storm.
    That's a harsh statement that exaggerates your point and insults a number of people who have never insulted you.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That's a harsh statement that exaggerates your point and insults a number of people who have never insulted you.
    It also makes NO sense, Storm.

If members wanted to beat up on Altecs and Altec fans, it'd be one Hell of a lot easier if all of them were posted in one section.

Nor does THIS make any sense:

But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?
    Did you not understand the discussion in the 29 posts which preceded your posting that? Or were the reasons discussed there just not good enough for you, maybe?

I'm not attacking you, Storm. It's just that sometimes your posts defy all reason.... :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    It also makes NO sense, Storm.

If members wanted to beat up on Altecs and Altec fans, it'd be one Hell of a lot easier if all of them were posted in one section.

Nor does THIS make any sense:

Did you not understand the discussion in the 29 posts which preceded your posting that? Or were the reasons discussed there just not good enough for you, maybe?

I'm not attacking you, Storm. It's just that sometimes your posts defy all reason.... :dont-know

Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else. I don't really wish to cross sabres with anyone but sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing without getting tottally formal about it. Hopefuly I'm not irritating people as much or more. Personaly I think that most of the transducers discussed on this forum which I start to say "that's not vintage" except I guess the calender would call me wrong, are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods. Don't dick I'm not throwing stones, I like the forum, and there is a wealth of information on the sight but on the forum most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve, I believe, is subject to debate. We may not know enough about his motives to judge what he would and would not approve of. The company, long ago quit caring one way or the other. (this is as it appears to me. I can't state it as absolute fact, although I believe it is) I guess the world has changed so it makes any look backward sort of like a fun house mirror. He never really made money. This might be because he wanted his product to good or it might be if someone had actually shown him how to make a fortune he would have become Morse Electrophonic if that was what it took. I doubt it but we don't know. The way most industries are sort of incestuous. 9 People move from this company to make that company. this design is stolen but it never really gets developed by the company it is stolen from. It's hard to say how many pieces from other companies also came from this beginning, although I'll give you that not too many look like it. Got long winded didn't say much good evening.
    that was one of the most BIZARRE posts I've seen to date.

I know why there is not going to be able to have a separate Altec thread - because all these people want an easier way to find the Altec posts so they can pick them apart and criticize people.

-Storm.

There won't be a seperate forum because of the simple fact that we really don't need one. We have done very well for the last 5 years without one. That may change sometime down the road as in "never say never" but for now, I just don't see the need.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

But, IF we do get an Altec section, then I want a Gauss section, a TAD section, a Jensen section, a Stephens section, a Tannoy section, an EV section, a Fostex section, a Klipsch section, etc.
    the world has Audiokarma.org for that already.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    yup, I gots no clue as to what it was about. Mebbe if he started a paragraph, now and then, it wud be readable, or not ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Originally Posted by duaneage
    I understood it as he being James B. and a 2235 not being vintage or something he saw or may approve of.

I think

Rob

Thread Information