Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    went to school with McGuinn - Santa Barbara HS
    "hippie-swabbie" ??
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    "hippie-swabbie" ??
    hippie-swabbie-photog-interp-rotorhead-techie-audioenthuser-retired-bimmer pilot-geezer.

geeze - I hate being stuck in a standard pigeonhole.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Birds had their troubles though Parsons was a star in the night and he was gone. Chris whatever got religious. I'm not sure if Crosby has the thing about drugs and guns not mixing too well down yet. What a band. Parsons, too bad he went out so young. Crosby has a voice like hardly any other but guns or drugs I really don't have a big problem with either one but maybe it's like fire and either keep one in one room and the other in the other room.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ah - bless you my son, for that has made you wondrous in my eyes!!

yeah, gimme Byrds, Burritos Brothers, Graham parson, Poco, Manassas - heck, even Jerry Garcia on pedal steel - any of those earlier countrified guys - the Eagles were a bit too derivative for me ...
    Yep, dug Poco and Buffalo Springfield before them.

My daughter, grandson, and I spent a night at the Joshua Tree Inn where Gram Parsons died and we listened to Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris softly on the iPod.

All better than the Eagles but not nearly as popular

I agree with most about The Eagles, especially in their later years. Pretty good and inovative band when they first stated with Bernie Leadon. They had that raw, unpolished almost garage band sound then. I have to say I do have their GH on vinyl and CD, please forgive me!

Ah - bless you my son, for that has made you wondrous in my eyes!!

yeah, gimme Byrds, Burritos Brothers, Graham parson, Poco, Manassas - heck, even Jerry Garcia on pedal steel - any of those earlier countrified guys - the Eagles were a bit too derivative for me ...
    Oh, please, being "derivative"? Noooobody's ever used that before. lol If you're going to use that as your argument, then you have to admit most bands are derivative. Considering they were made up of a member of the FBB and another from Poco, what were they supposed to sound like? Their second album was quite different than their first, as was the third from the second and so on down the road. Why do you think Bernie left? Do you think Those Shoes or King Of Hollywood sound anything like their early material? The Eagles were a great band, better than Poco, the FBB, or any of the others you named. Their harmonies, song writing ability and skill with their instruments set them apart. There's a reason those other bands weren't as well known, with the exception of the Byrds.....they weren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    I agree with most about The Eagles, especially in their later years. Pretty good and inovative band when they first stated with Bernie Leadon. They had that raw, unpolished almost garage band sound then. I have to say I do have their GH on vinyl and CD, please forgive me!
    They never had an unpolished sound, why do you think Frey and Henley were asked to back Linda Ronstadt? And Meisner and Leadon weren't exactly beginners themselves, plus Glyn Jones wasn't about to make a garage band sounding album.

Rolling Stone, in putting their first album, Eagles, in their 500 Best Albums list said they, "created a new template for laid-back L.A. country-rock style". Whereas Robert Christgau said, in questioning their country roots, they were "suave and synthetic--brilliant, but false." Not exactly a glowing review (but how many bands did Christgau like? lol), but certainly not describing it as "raw, unpolished".

I love the Cohan Bros, I like TBL, but the Dude always struck me as kind of an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    as I understand , that GH album, the 20th century bestseller , was not planned , just cobbled together to fulfill a commitment

It wasn't a contractual obligation album and it was hardly just "cobbled together". Most acts have put out a greatest hits album.

Most folks haven't the ears or the chops to know good music - they learn what they like by familiarity - what's on the radio gets most folks ears ...
    and the Eagles did nice music very well, those other guys I mentioned - you had to seek them out and they were HARD to listen to at times.

Its the reason cover bands do so well in the DC clubs - most folks don't want to hear/learn something new, they just want nice background music.

lol There's a reason, for the most part, those other guys you mentioned are hard to find....they weren't very good. The Eagles weren't some instant success story. Out of their first three albums they did have a #1 on their third album, and a #9 on their second, but the other releases did well but not great. They gathered steam as they grew. I think most of the people who dislike them dislike them because the explosion that was Hotel California and/or they're from the 60s and nothing's as good as 60s music, according to them (don't get me wrong, I love 60s music, too, I remember, even though I was young, when the Beatles first hit the airwaves here.). It was everywhere for a looong time. But it is a great album.

And they only had six albums during their original run and they grew with every one.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I too am anti eagles, how did they sell so many albums then?

Mark
    Because they were a great band.

Wowie - a newbie Eagles fan brings back a Zombie thread from 2007 with 5 posts bang bang bang!!!

Just kidding, and welcome to the Lansing Forum site!

Such a darned shame about Glenn Frey, but I'll agree they were a very popular band ...
    I think I even own a couple of their albums - plus the Hell Freezes Over DVD, of course ...

Join Date - 01-25-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikwithaK View Post
    Oh, please, being "derivative"? Noooobody's ever used that before. lol If you're going to use that as your argument, then you have to admit most bands are derivative. Considering they were made up of a member of the FBB and another from Poco, what were they supposed to sound like? Their second album was quite different than their first, as was the third from the second and so on down the road. Why do you think Bernie left? Do you think Those Shoes or King Of Hollywood sound anything like their early material? The Eagles were a great band, better than Poco, the FBB, or any of the others you named. Their harmonies, song writing ability and skill with their instruments set them apart. There's a reason those other bands weren't as well known, with the exception of the Byrds.....they weren't as good.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by ErikwithaK View Post
    lol There's a reason, for the most part, those other guys you mentioned are hard to find....they weren't very good. The Eagles weren't some instant success story. Out of their first three albums they did have a #1 on their third album, and a #9 on their second, but the other releases did well but not great. They gathered steam as they grew. I think most of the people who dislike them dislike them because the explosion that was Hotel California and/or they're from the 60s and nothing's as good as 60s music, according to them (don't get me wrong, I love 60s music, too, I remember, even though I was young, when the Beatles first hit the airwaves here.). It was everywhere for a looong time. But it is a great album.

And they only had six albums during their original run and they grew with every one.

I agree.

Irving Azoff was a real force behind the band as was JD Souther.

There is no doubt the moulding of the band with addition of Jo Walsh and Don Felder broaden the bands popularity.

Thread Information