Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Building new sub/mid box

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    Ive been following this thread with interests from start and If you didnt thought of it, you gave me a tip for an Apple-Mac loudspeaker designing software in here

About MacSpeakerz
    Loudspeaker Design Software for Macintosh:

http://www.trueaudio.com/mac_abt1.htm

They also have e demo which I would like to try before buying a full version.

Do you know anything about this software product (Windows or Mac version doesnt matter)?

Regards
    I have their TrueRTA level 4 software and like it but I'm happy with BB6P and haven't tried True Audio's speaker software.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge
    I have their TrueRTA level 4 software and like it but I'm happy with BB6P and haven't tried True Audio's speaker software.
    If you are using BB6P than this software would be a step (or 2) down. I would not waste your money!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    If you are using BB6P than this software would be a step (or 2) down. I would not waste your money!!
    I wasn't looking at, Flodstroem was. I think he needs something that works with a mac and BB6P doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    Ive been following this thread with interests from start and If you didnt thought of it, you gave me a tip for an Apple-Mac loudspeaker designing software in here

About MacSpeakerz
    Loudspeaker Design Software for Macintosh:

http://www.trueaudio.com/mac_abt1.htm

They also have a demo which I would try before buying a full version.

Do you know anything about this software product (Windows or Mac version doesnt matter)?

Regards
    I just dloaded it, but it started loading the Mac Classic OS, so I quit the demo right away.
    The current Mac OSX is 10.4.4 and Apple is moving to Intel platform, anything that has to run in OS 9.x (classic) is generations old now.
    I've got a dual CPU G4 (waiting for the new Intel Powermacs to arrive),
    but I certainly wouldn't buy anything now that is pre-OSX.
    But thanks for the info - it WAS a great idea ... sigh ...

Heather

For Mac people, the best solution is to get a POS windows box and use it for audio applications. I prefer Macs myself, but have a couple of windows boxes for various audio software packages. The best audio software simply isn't available for Macs. The good news is that a real dog machine will run most of the audio applications just fine.

Widget

It will never be an OS 10.x.x. version

Hi and thanks for comments
    I just dloaded it, but it started loading the Mac Classic OS, so I quit the demo right away.
    The current Mac OSX is 10.4.4 and Apple is moving to Intel platform, anything that has to run in OS 9.x (classic) is generations old now.
    I've got a dual CPU G4 (waiting for the new Intel Powermacs to arrive),
    but I certainly wouldn't buy anything now that is pre-OSX.
    But thanks for the info - it WAS a great idea ... sigh ...

Heather
    yes I did to, and mine also started the Classics (OS 9....) I also work on OS 10.4.4 so this was disappointing

I wrote to the developer and the answer was: they will not and never make an OS 10.x.x. version. So......this program is currently by now all to old. Not a program for the future.

Regards
    Flodstroem

J.A.F.S.

Wink Active Filters

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge
    Hello HP,
    I use Rane active crossovers, so I can try any crossover points I like. They have 24db slopes and delays for the drivers to aline them electronicaly.
    I agree with you "440". I gave up winding inductors for passive crossovers years ago. Way too labor intensive for my liking. I designed and built my own 4th order, equal component Sallen & Key topology active filters seven years ago. Tuning the system is now a breeze - I just use a calibrated microphone and a real-time analyzer, and change the crossover points and gain levels on the filters to get my rough response curve. I then use my 1/3 octave equalizers to get the final response curve.
    Last edited by loach71; 02-12-2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: I just can't type DARN IT!

I going to bump my old thread, I guess because I'm really trying to straighten my system out and it's about time! You see I go through periods, like the weather, where I get into one hobby for awhile and then on to another and so on. Well I'm back to this!

First off, I still haven't finished the cabinets. But I have re tuned them from 24hz to 31hz (for the better IMO). Haven't covered them because 1) lots of work 2) Their heavy 3) I made them out of partical board and not mdf(not happy about it!) and 4) They sound really nice and can't live without the sound they put out every day, LOL!

I have made some upgrades. Dumped the 2202s for brand new 2206Hs just this week and have 2404s on top now with the 2445s connected to 2385 horns instead of the 2380s I ran before. Narrower pattern fits the room better.

Dumped a bunch of Rane analog crossovers for a Rane AC24 and just picked up another Hafler (P1500 TransNova) for the 2404s. It's sounding nice!

Heres a pic of the rt side, with my sub 1500s.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Well I'm back to this!
    Cool... looks like you need a little more sub action.

Widget

Do the cats actually stay put on the cabs? I'd think they would bounce off. BTW, I'm in Concord as well-would love to hear the setup some day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Cool... looks like you need a little more sub action.

Widget
    You have some more of the sub1500s stashed some where?
    I think I'd be better off with some 2245s but I'm on a spending hold for now. I just went on a run of new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by evans224
    Do the cats actually stay put on the cabs? I'd think they would bounce off. BTW, I'm in Concord as well-would love to hear the setup some day!
    Believe it or not, they stay in place unless I really crank it up and run 20-30hz tones through the sub. The cabinet is really heavy and sits on rubber feet.
    Where are you at in Concord? I'm in Dana Estates behind the Dana Plaza shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    I think I'd be better off with some 2245s but I'm on a spending hold for now.
    It depends... in my opinion if you want to integrate into a four-way like the 4345, then I agree... the 2245 is really hard to beat. However for true sub duty, the Sub1500s in small boxes with a little DSP help will give the 2245 a run for the money and do it in 1/4 the space. I've posted this before, but you may have missed it while you were tending to other interests... you might consider putting a Velodyne SMS-1 in front of your Sub1500s.

Widget

Howdy neighbor! I'm in Dana also. I'll send PM

Quote Originally Posted by evans224 View Post
    Howdy neighbor! I'm in Dana also. I'll send PM
    Small world, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It depends... in my opinion if you want to integrate into a four-way like the 4345, then I agree... the 2245 is really hard to beat. However for true sub duty, the Sub1500s in small boxes with a little DSP help will give the 2245 a run for the money and do it in 1/4 the space. I've posted this before, but you may have missed it while you were tending to other interests... you might consider putting a Velodyne SMS-1 in front of your Sub1500s.

Widget
    That Velodyne looks interesting. I'm running no eq on anything right now and it sounds really good. I run a Yamaha HT receiver and have the sub1500s low pass set at 90hz right now. Unfortunately this receiver only has a choice of 24db per octave. A while back Giskard had suggested a B212 filter with the closed box sub1500s and one day I'm going to put one together, or try and duplicate it electronically. I think I get good coupling between the 2242 and sub1500s.

Thread Information