Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: caps are they really that important

caps are they really that important

I want to see if I am missing out on somethig. I just has a set of speakers built I think they sound awesome I am quite please with the results. but now I am thinking is this real can my speakers sound even better than they sound now! or is this for the the elite hearing folks . Is it worth buying a better grade of caps and if this is true how much is to much.

Do a search on Capacitors and Charge Coupled and Bypass Capacitors. There are several threads that talk about Capacitors

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

If the caps are old, yes they should be replaced. As they age their performance changes a lot. As to whether one type cap is better than another is a different question.

Obsolete

Good Grief!

Another capacitor thread...

Go Active and never worry about this topic again ok? Just buy yourself a really nice sound card and some good digital filter software and run your whole Audio system from your PC. Store all your music on hard drives and make regular backups and be done with the legacy nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Another capacitor thread...

Go Active and never worry about this topic again ok? Just buy yourself a really nice sound card and some good digital filter software and run your whole Audio system from your PC. Store all your music on hard drives and make regular backups and be done with the legacy nonsense.
    LOL yep another caps thread ! I am guilty for not reading the other previous post on caps and this becuse lack of knowledge on my part but I am growing so if u dont mind feed me food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    LOL yep another caps thread ! I am guilty for not reading the other previous post on caps and this becuse lack of knowledge on my part but I am growing so if u dont mind feed me food for thought
    Try SEARCH - Use the force, Luke ...

Search under CAPS -
    you can find much food to feed upon ...
    take a few days, read some of the long threads there,
    you don't need instant replies of no real depth,
    you want the older, researched and well thought out responses ...

This place is huge - don't ask to be spoon-fed - DIG!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Dino,
    If you want to get a noticable improvement from your 4345's, try biamping them. That 2245 can take power away from the other drivers especially at high power levels. Giving them their own amp will make more of a difference than changing caps IMO. I did this with a set of L300's and noticed a big difference. The best thing to do would be to cross the whole system over electronically but it can get costly, also tricky to get rid of ground loop and other noises. It also gives you more flexibility with trying different amps - for example - hi current amp for the bass, tube amp for the highs - etc.

It sometimes supprises me when these hi end guys spend tons of money on systems and never consider biamping.

I want to see if I am missing out on somethig. I just has a set of speakers built I think they sound awesome I am quite please with the results. but now I am thinking is this real can my speakers sound even better than they sound now! or is this for the the elite hearing folks . Is it worth buying a better grade of caps and if this is true how much is to much.
    Good grammar and spelling is where I would start.
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker View Post
    Good grammar and spelling is where I would start.
    'are' not 'is'

There is no such thing as good American english.

I would cool your heals and not worry about it right now.

These guys egg everyone about capacitors and only a handful have ever heard a 4345 stock or otherwise let alone a broad spectrum of capacitors in this particular system.

If you like the result you are getting right now you are doing better than most diy people particulary with the variations to the design you have made. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it..sometimes trying to make things better shows up the worts and all and it becomes a never ending saga while your play list grows shorter and shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    There is no such thing as good American english.

I would cool your heals and not worry about it right now.

These guys egg everyone about capacitors and only a handful have ever heard a 4345 stock or otherwise let alone a broad spectrum of capacitors in this particular system.

If you like the result you are getting right now you are doing better than most diy people particulary with the variations to the design you have made. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it..sometimes trying to make things better shows up the worts and all and it becomes a never ending saga while your play list grows shorter and shorter.
    thanks.

I wanted to point out that the humblehifi.com site was not the site I suggested Dino check out just in case there was some confusion there. If anyone wants to check out the MCaps check out www.audiyo.com. On their home page they show the most expensive caps, if you click on 'products' at the top of the page it will bring you to less expensive MCaps etc.

Hey Dino,
    If you are like me, you will not be happy until you try out some expensive caps for yourself, me I would always be wondering (excuse the pun 'wonderboy') if they could sound better. If it means that much to you and you can afford it, why not buy the caps needed for the mid/high range for one speaker only and give them an A/B comparison? My "highend" friend swears by them, he replaced all the caps on his speakers and he says "it's a night and day difference" and his system does sound good.

I agree with Paul D, bi-amping makes a huge difference, a good solid state amp for the woofers and maybe a tube or a good sounding solid state amp on the mids/highs. I was not much of a believer on some of the things I read about amps, how one could sound better than another by a large margin untill I did a little experiment with amps at my place. I had my speakers bi-amped, a Bryston 4B-ST on the bass and a Monarchy SM-70 for the mids/highs, I switched them around and put the Bryston onto the mids/highs and man, what a difference, the sound was terrible, the Bryston is definetly a bass amp all the way. The Monarchy mono blocks rule for mids and highs, well on my system anyhow.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    I wanted to point out that the humblehifi.com site was not the site I suggested Dino check out just in case there was some confusion there. If anyone wants to check out the MCaps check out www.audiyo.com. On their home page they show the most expensive caps, if you click on 'products' at the top of the page it will bring you to less expensive MCaps etc.

Hey Dino,
    If you are like me, you will not be happy until you try out some expensive caps for yourself, me I would always be wondering (excuse the pun 'wonderboy') if they could sound better. If it means that much to you and you can afford it, why not buy the caps needed for the mid/high range for one speaker only and give them an A/B comparison? My "highend" friend swears by them, he replaced all the caps on his speakers and he says "it's a night and day difference" and his system does sound good.

I agree with Paul D, bi-amping makes a huge difference, a good solid state amp for the woofers and maybe a tube or a good sounding solid state amp on the mids/highs. I was not much of a believer on some of the things I read about amps, how one could sound better than another by a large margin untill I did a little experiment with amps at my place. I had my speakers bi-amped, a Bryston 4B-ST on the bass and a Monarchy SM-70 for the mids/highs, I switched them around and put the Bryston onto the mids/highs and man, what a difference, the sound was terrible, the Bryston is definetly a bass amp all the way. The Monarchy mono blocks rule for mids and highs, well on my system anyhow.

Kevin
    thanks for all your help kevin. humble hifi is a site a got from a nother friend. I went to the site that u turn me on to thanks. I am like Ian if it ant broke dont mess with it. my speaker sound great to me and also my speakers are set up for bi amp. crown k2 or crest ca-9 for lows and a tube amp for the highs. thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you like the result you are getting right now you are doing better than most diy people...
    That has not been my experience. I find most DIYers love whatever they've slapped together... at first. As the new wears off they start wondering why some music doesn't sound particularly good and they start the tinkering process again... it is a cycle that repeats itself over and over. They eventually actually learn to like the sound of their system, buy a new kit or factory made system, or simply start the process over again with an entirely different approach.

As for the topic of this thread, I agree with those who have said, that since you are happy, consider yourself lucky and enjoy the music... for now at least.

Widget

... or is this for the the elite hearing folks .
    Technically there can always be made some improvements or changes. Jump on it or skip it. It is your personal technical experience. (And technical devices are seldom perfect. )

The other thing is an improvement in your hearing. And this is a learning process where you can gain in experience as time goes by.
    (And your experience will be better and better. )

Thread Information