Thread: altec a7 or my ported box

alteckid

altec a7 or my ported box

iam 25 so real new to this started building my speakers when i found a marantz 2385 reciever and altec 416-8b and jbl 375 drivers at a yard sale last year i sold the 375 to fund the rest of my project and bought 808-8a with either a 511 or 811 horn i dont know witch because they have no markings after building a 10.5 cuft ported box out of mdf i mounted the horns on top with a 2nd order 800hz crossover had a local tech check out the marantz and after a good cleaning it was ready the tech also told me he had a very good eq he would sell me so i bought a ADC sound shaper 12 band eq from him and left to go home and hear what this system would sound like i was blown away didnt watch tv for the next 2 weeks just played music. so now iam thinking of building some a7s my living room is 12x20 is this to small for the 416 in a bass horn? also i have been looking at a fisher 500c on ebay i want to try tubes seems know one runs solid state is the sound much better on tube's? a audiophile on another web site says the 500c is the best buy for tube stuff i found some fully restored for $750.00 on ebay he also says i should run 1 st order crossovers. i love the sound now if it could get better with tube stuff and a 1st order crossover i would do it what do you think? would a solid state Eq hurt the sound of the tube fisher?

RIP 2009
    I think ported boxes would sound better than the A7, but I'll defer to those with more experience with A7's.

That said - PLEASE us correct punctuation, (capital letters at start of sentences, separate paragraphs, etc.). You post runs on just like one big sentence, and is *very* hard to read. Many won't even bother - I almost didn't, except for the fact you're a first time poster.

John

alteckid

Smile punctuation

Sorry i didn't know i had to be perfect beside's i have only been in America for 18 months so between working full time and trying to learn english i think i have done pretty good. I hope that the rest of the members in this forum arent as petty as you. After all i asked for advice on my audio system not my punctuation skills. ps would you like to grade me on my punctuation on this post?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alteckid View Post
    i have only been in America for 18 months so between working full time and trying to learn english i think i have done pretty good.
    I'd say you're doing pretty good for 18 months. I was just trying to help - a lot of people simply pass over posts that are hard to read. 'Sorry I don't know enough to help with your other questions.

John

The horn on the woofer on the A7 is for upper base and is more efficient than the reflex part of the cabinet that works for the lower (for an A7) base. This leaves it very base deficient. For home listening you will do much better with different cabinets unless you are going to add sub woofers. 811's are 18 " across 511's are 23" across now you should know which you have.

Thread Information