Thread: Hypex and other DIY class D amps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hypex and other DIY class D amps

Anyone here have experience with the latest generation of DIY class D amps? I'm specifically talking about Hypex UCD AD modules, but there are many others.

I've read all the specs, and wonder how they match up with some big JBL 4-ways. If anyone has built one of these class D / mosfet amps and teamed them up with big JBL's- I'd be very interested in knowing your results!

Nathan.

I´m using 5 ucd 180 ( not Ad ) modules to my 5 2446h drivers and i´m very pleased with them.

Pangea ( Roland ) is using ucd 180 and 400 modules to his mtm speaker.
    His speakers sounds really good with ucd amps.

regards mats

Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    I´m using 5 ucd 180 ( not Ad ) modules to my 5 2446h drivers and i´m very pleased with them.

Pangea ( Roland ) is using ucd 180 and 400 modules to his mtm speaker.
    His speakers sounds really good with ucd amps.

regards mats
    Thank you, Mats.

I am considering the 180(AD). The UCD's aren't picky about the load they drive, so 180 seems like it will be plenty big enough- especially if each module will drive a single 2245.

Are you using a shared power transformer for all your modules, or a transformer for each module? Is it the Hypex transformer? I have read that many prefer the Hypex branded torroidals.

Have you had any issues with powering them on/off?

My only real concern is: Are these amps real contenders for actual music? Their ability to produce world class bass is legendary, but I don't know if they can handle the mids and highs in my system without making my ears bleed. I guess if I pair them up with the right pre...

I think I will order a pair and give them a go.

Thanks again, Nathan.

I have 2 300 va transformers 2x30 volt ( not hypex ) and 2x47000uf caps.
    It works very well.
    The AD ( analog device ) version may sound a little better than the ST modules.

I think i had chosen the 400 modul for a 2245 instead of a 180. Or do you have 2445 ?

If you pm me your email i can send you some pictures.

mats

I am using a tim rawson built gainclone. not bad at all. not the last word in audio, but a fun cheap toy and certainly better than my home theater amp.

Would you consider a aleph? alephs are fantastic!! You are doing yourself a disservice if you havent heard an aleph 3/30/J etc...

I am getting a rediculous, cost is no object patek-based clone in the next couple of weeks.

Just a few highlights --

patrick daniel kit audiosector 3886 dual mono
    custom cut copper bus bar/ heat sink
    black diamond racing cones directly suspended transformer and heatsinks
    cardas rhodium single clamp binding posts
    silver wire throughout
    oversized plitron transformer
    deflex washers on all screws
    deflex pad under transformer
    custom machined spacers
    machine pressed recessed mounting holes
    custom machined mounting brackets for the binding posts etc.
    blackgate caps
    gold pcbs
    and of course my favorite part -- its gonna be blue stained birch wood with hand rubbed tung oil. fully exposed insides, no case.

looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    Would you consider a aleph? alephs are fantastic!! You are doing yourself a disservice if you havent heard an aleph 3/30/J
    YES, YES, YES!
    Aleph 2 also

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    I am using a tim rawson built gainclone. not bad at all. not the last word in audio, but a fun cheap toy and certainly better than my home theater amp.

Would you consider a aleph? alephs are fantastic!! You are doing yourself a disservice if you havent heard an aleph 3/30/J etc...

I am getting a rediculous, cost is no object patek-based clone in the next couple of weeks.

Just a few highlights --

patrick daniel kit audiosector 3886 dual mono
    custom cut copper bus bar/ heat sink
    black diamond racing cones directly suspended transformer and heatsinks
    cardas rhodium single clamp binding posts
    silver wire throughout
    oversized plitron transformer
    deflex washers on all screws
    deflex pad under transformer
    custom machined spacers
    machine pressed recessed mounting holes
    custom machined mounting brackets for the binding posts etc.
    blackgate caps
    gold pcbs
    and of course my favorite part -- its gonna be blue stained birch wood with hand rubbed tung oil. fully exposed insides, no case.

looking forward to it.

Thank you spwal (and Guido). I appreciate the input.

Spwal,

Amps like the nuforce, channel islands, and others are raising the bar ever higher. Class D is the future. I lived with several class A furnaces and they sound wonderful, but I feel guilty about all the wasted electricity- and they aren't exactly cheap to operate either!

The only downside to Class D seems to be it's vulnerability to RFI. Funny thing I have noticed is that the amps with notorious RFI issues (like the nuforce) have a cheap aluminum clamshell chassis. If they could compartmentalize the chipset, and use a nice steel chassis- problem solved. The UCD's have poly shielding on the wire leads, too. Why not teflon? Simple things...

Yes, the aleph is a legend. But at thousands of dollars for a single-ended class A that barely runs a pair of headphones- It doesn't exactly fall into the same category of an 85%+ efficiency class D with no regard to load difficulty. They are completely different animals. I can assemble 2-4 UCD180AD amp monos for the price of one used Aleph 30. I do not have a "cost no object" budget or I wouldn't be holding a soldering iron.

Another thing- I like powerful amps. Some may like the "fat" sound of an amp that is just suitable for the task, but I prefer the effortless projection of a bigger amp. So long as it is quiet, free from glare, and runs relatively cool, my criteria are met. I like an amp to do it's job and nothing else. An anemic amp is a 'disservice' to JBL speakers. You are shortchanging the very strength of them- transient speed!

I subscribe to the British audio philosophy in that the focus on a system should be more upstream (source components). I have the luxury of knowing my source components are definately doing their job, so I put less money (proportionately) into the amps. I have lived with many amps that sound great, because I have integrated them with systems that bring their best performances out. In my experience, the preamp will have a profound effect on the sound of an amp, so I focus my efforts (and expenses) there.

Your project sounds interesting- keep me posted.
    I'm just building plain old UCD180AD monos and I'll see what all the hype is about. The price seems right.

Thanks again,
    Nate.

Thread Information