Thread: Thanks - new surrounds on my Lancers

beeskerdog

Thanks - new surrounds on my Lancers

Just wanted to say thanks.

Becuase of this site I was able to put new sorrounds on my Lancer 77s. I follwed the step-by-step instructions listed on this form and used surrounds provided by Rick Cobb. Everything worked perfectly. I bought these speakers when I was a kid back in Illinois, I've always liked the sound, and to my ear, these sound as good now as they did back in 1968

Anyhow, my wife had been pushing for these to go to a landfill for quite a while. Now I'm really glad I was able to repair them. It's like seeing an old friend again.

A couple of other comments. I made some repairs to the veneer. I got some walnut veneer and spliced it in. When I stained it with Watco (med walnut) it became clear that the veneer on my speakers wasn't actually walnut but rather, appears to be teak -stained as walnut. It's close enough for now now -but teak would have been a better match.

I also had to rebuild the cross-overs. I replaced the capacitors in both and checked them with a scope and frequency gen. Everything seems fine now.

For cleaning the old surround material off the cones I used a painter's pallet knife - "LOEW CORNELL J-11". It's about $5 at most art supply stores. -It's a very thin stainless steel flexible blade that scrapes the junk off the cone without digging in or cutting the cone - It worked for me anyhow.

Regards & Thanks, John

Excellent post!

It's nice to hear a success story on a pair of vintage JBL speakers.

Thanks for sharing with us. Good info in your post!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information