Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing a thread

Closing a thread

I have a question to those who have moderator status and the power to close a thread and to ban people:

Why is it so important to close a thread just because there are arguments, different opinions? Are you seeing something we regular members don't?

Don't you think that this would die out by itself? That the ones involved finally will get tired?

I know I would have felt very insulted if I had been cut off just expressing my meanings.

Moderators, please explain.

What everyone has forgotten

The intent of this forum is to develop a community of people that share a common interest in the products and legacy associated with James B. Lansing. To that end, it is my intent to foster as wide ranging discussion as possible. There is even a place for non Lansing related discussion - the "Off-Topic" forum.

This is not a place to blog, save the world, or discuss personal issues. We are here to discuss audio. That thread was a complete distraction from the stated purpose. The people banned were sock puppets for individuals who were previously banned for threatening and outrageous behavior. I am going to review the content and IP adresses again today to see if any one else will be joining them.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What everyone has forgotten

The intent of this forum is to develop a community of people that share a common interest in the products and legacy associated with James B. Lansing. To that end, it is my intent to foster as wide ranging discussion as possible. There is even a place for non Lansing related discussion - the "Off-Topic" forum.

This is not a place to blog, save the world, or discuss personal issues. We are here to discuss audio. That thread was a complete distraction from the stated purpose. The people banned were sock puppets for individuals who were previously banned for threatening and outrageous behavior. I am going to review the content and IP adresses again today to see if any one else will be joining them.

Rob

Bless you for the reminder of our focus here!

And thanks for watching over us.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I have a question to those who have moderator status and the power to close a thread and to ban people:

Why is it so important to close a thread just because there are arguments, different opinions? Are you seeing something we regular members don't?

Don't you think that this would die out by itself? That the ones involved finally will get tired?

I know I would have felt very insulted if I had been cut off just expressing my meanings.

Moderators, please explain.
    But what are we supposed to do when the conversation, if you can call it that, is used for purposes of baiting others into arguments and fights?

Not to mention private conversations made public, the purpose of which is expressly to hurt, and belittle others, and continue to stir the pot.

Hey Rolf, you have been here for a while, and we seem to be getting a whole new crop of members, who want nothing more than to incite fighting and arguing and insulting and belittling others. What is the point of allowing useless dissention build up? It only cheapens the forum.

Some seem to want to speak only of what junk they think JBL is! Thats fine on another forum, some forums may even welcome that type of talk.

But, if left unchecked, these argumentative and insulting threads quickly spiral out of control.
    scottyj

Rob and Scott.

I understand your points. Maybe it is me. I don't really care what people write in those kind of threads. I read some, some not, but I rarely comment in them, and that is why I believe they will die out by themselves.

I can't see that there is the same "troublemakers" coming back again and again under different aliases as you do. If that is the case they surly must be stopped. I don't like harse tones and insulting anymore than you do.

You are both right, they can do this on other forums. You have both answered my questions so I won't need to ask them again.

And yes, I have been here for quite a while ... hopefully not made to much noise or yelling.

It's a tough call. Sometimes I think it goes on too long, and sometimes I think it's cut off too soon. Moderators cannot win in these instances.

I'm in agreement with Rolf that the elegant way to handle it is not to respond. It's hard to stay out though, when you read some of the knuckleheaded stuff that gets written. I did manage to stay out of the last flame war, so maybe I'm learning. :dont-know

That thread was a complete distraction from the stated purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It's a tough call... Moderators cannot win in these instances.
    I don't think most people realize just how much time is required reading over threads to make sure no one is being flamed or otherwise abused... many times these are threads that may not be of particular interest to a moderator and yet we still get bogged down in them... then there are those people who seem to have little else going on in their lives other than attempting to distract us from our stated purpose.

I am going to review the content and IP adresses again today to see if any one else will be joining them
    Thanks Rob... I for one really appreciate your dedication.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't think most people realize just how much time is required reading over threads to make sure no one is being flamed or otherwise abused... many times these are threads that may not be of particular interest to a moderator and yet we still get bogged down in them... then there are those people who seem to have little else going on in their lives other than attempting to distract us from our stated purpose.

Thanks Rob... I for one really appreciate your dedication.

Widget
    This is something I have been thinking about several times. As a moderator I guess one have to read everything that is written in the area he or she is responsible for. Must be quite a job.

...I believe they will die out by themselves.
    Unfortunately, not often (nor soon...) enough!

...I have been here for quite a while ... hopefully not made to much noise or yelling.
    Not at all.

It's a tough call. Sometimes I think it goes on too long, and sometimes I think it's cut off too soon. Moderators cannot win in these instances.
    Yea. The hardest part is when someone tags into a single person, or small element of the forum - deciding whether that merits action or not, is tedious. Best is to discourage any of that from anybody - this helps ensure things stay on-track more often. It makes the line less grey...

I'm in agreement with Rolf that the elegant way to handle it is not to respond. It's hard to stay out though, when you read some of the knuckleheaded stuff that gets written.
    Yup. And we have talked about it the same. Our trying to "talk someone down" off the ledge too often ends in larger disaster. You might have noticed these days, we mostly stay out of the dialogue, only to show up with the fire brigade, saying nothing and abruptly closing the building "for safety sake"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I have been away from my computer and apparently I missed something. But, unless we have a space problem, I don't get it. I'm seeing Frank Zappa and Tipper Gore here, not close, but if I let myself get all upset and come out sounding like a fool, because some one has pushed my buttons and I'm not clever enough not to get drawn into it that's on me. The politics and even religion, although I haven't seen it here helps build community. It would seem important not to let falsehoods be left as facts, if they are things that could cause a newbie a lot of trouble. If they are something like cables that can cost an awful lot of money and everybody must agree that some authorities don't agree with it should be left some how so that newbies know it's not the bible. Other wise if no one will be hurt maybe everything doesn't always need settled ( did I sound like I meant it) My first response to the beginning of this thread was to want to say "thanks mom" People get to know each other by arguing about things. If this sight is supposed to be strictly about exchanging information about Lansing pieces and designs it wasn't set up very well, but if it was I don't believe it would be used too much. An awful lot of it could be replaced by a 2000 pg FAQ sheet with a pretty good index. If I think a thread is out of line I can go away. That's easy. If someone thinks I'm too aggressive they can drop out If they keep popping up every where, won't listen and they're just a general nuisance that's different but that should be handled in steps and not be one persons decision (unless one person owns the board).

My simple solution...

I just don't post to threads that deviate from knowledge and experience with JBL products.

It is not worth my time to engage with some posters whose main intent is constant dialogue with no real purpose in mind.

I guess that is why I don't post very much lately!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I just don't post to threads that deviate from knowledge and experience with JBL products.
    Once I see a post take off in a wrong direction, I generally don't even open that thread anymore...

John

I find the best way to get rid of problem posters is to ignore them. If they don't get a reponse or acknoledgement of their BS then they will go somewhere else. The biggest problem with this I find is getting people NOT to respond.

If the facts are incorrect they do need to made right but ignoring the ignorant is the my favorite way. I note when I get a no respose thread (question) and try to learn from it

A last comment ; I have pretty poor results when searching. I have seen others say this. It may be the searches and practice will help but I feel I should offer this feedback here. If i could more effectively use the feature less repetitive questions...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    A last comment ; I have pretty poor results when searching. I have seen others say this.
    Yea, me too, and me too.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    If (the search function was more effective...) i could more effectively use the feature (and there might be) less repetitive questions...
    (w/ edits)

We struggle with the Search function in vBulletin. Rest assured, it is no worse here than on other forums that use this software.

These forums, being near Blogs, are poorly organized (if at-all...) databases which grow exponentially, and typically without strict adherence to topic. This latter point makes Searching quite memory intensive, and Search-string dependant. Searching is optimized by knowing the context the topic was most meaningfully discussed. Those who have been here longer have a chance at getting "higher relevant hits"; others struggle with excessive mundane hits.

The only advice I have is to keep modifiying your search string in increasingly insightful/mundane ways (yes, I meant "mundane", because in this format you can only imagine how topics come-up!).

-----

Lastly, this place is really only worthwhile if we all try and stay close to the curb - stay on-topic / don't play in traffic. There are plenty other places in the WWW to explore our other opinions and interests. Here, if we can obviate the pedestrian topics and stay on stuff specific to advance our understanding of audio, acoustics and proper application of JBL engineering our efforts are so much more fulfilling. All the rest we are not well schooled-in, and suck at.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I love LH; it is a community of fascinating characters, intelligent discussion and a storehouse of useful data. It has helped me navigate through the seemingly endless possibilities in speaker design. Although the moderators may not always make me feel warm and fuzzy; I still would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge what I feel is an incredibly important role that they play. The character of the moderators has a cohesive effect on the way Lansing heritage is perceived. The almost prestigious feeling this web site has. Not unlike the heads of a great institution, their role in setting standards and if need be enforcing them, is in my opinion indispensable for the long-term health of LH. I speak from firsthand experience, there has never been a time here when a concern of mine in regard to a post or thread was ever ignored. Those whose intentions are good, even if there execution is poor, have a voice!
    I know I lose myself sometimes; I'm going to try to sit back and take a deep breath before writing a reply. You know if your hands are getting sweaty you're probably a little too worked up to write objectively.
    I truly value membership on LH, I believe it is a privilege worth considering. Even some members whose online personas I do not particularly care for, I have respect for, there are some members here who show nothing short of brilliance, and that is a great thing to be a part of.
    OK, so LH to me is a little bit like salt, it tastes grate but sometimes too much can raise your blood pressure.
    Sincerely, NewZenith.

Thread Information