"Jazz boom loudly"
    HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU LEAVE OUT:

"JUNKY, BUT LOUD!!!"

Smk.

"got no highs, got no lows...must be Bose!"
    Bose stands for "Bothers other's silent enjoyment"-smk

Got any ALTEC ones?

-Storm.

I just sold all my so called audiophile gear !

I spent tons on some Roksan, Klipcsh and Quad gear in November. I was bored by January.I Ebayed the bloody lot !
    I sat there like a statue afraid to move incase I
    lost the soundstage. What a complete waste of time. I did'nt even enjoy my music all i did was analize it ( english humour).
    Anyway, I picked up a pair of 4435's and they make this
    45 year old man giggle like a big kid . I bloody love Jbl . Infact , i'm building another pair , 4345's . Someone even asked me If I trying to compensate for a small cxxk ?"

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I spent tons on some Roksan, Klipcsh and Quad gear in November. I was bored by January.I Ebayed the bloody lot !
    I sat there like a statue afraid to move incase I
    lost the soundstage. What a complete waste of time. I did'nt even enjoy my music all i did was analize it ( english humour).
    Your post did make me laugh. I couldn't agree more as I went through the same thing about a year ago.

The English press rant and rave about certain items of gear and when you actually have a listen it leaves you...well "bored" is the best word for it really.

Where did you get the 4435's by the way (didn't you post re. buying something in early January)? I'm still after a pristine pair of 4430's to get a bit of 'Jekyll & Hyde' sound going with my 250Ti's.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    They realy think a speaker should do nothing but reproduce. I dint think its possible to make that kind of speaker.
    Reproduce what? I'm guessing the music they listen to isn't cut to vinyl directly from the microphone. It was probably mixed by an engineer and the artist, hopefully using JBL. Perhaps the goal would be to reproduce the music like the artist intended.
    I'll bet the mixing console had op amps and electrolytic caps in the signal path to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Got any ALTEC ones?

-Storm.
    One I've heard from people who mock it is

A
    Lousy
    Tinny
    Electronic
    Cacophony

probably in reference to some of the horn designs, but I don't know for sure.

(Don't kill the messenger.)
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 02-08-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: fear

many many haters on Prosoundweb.com... many of these self proclaimed engineers from time to time would give examples of how the speaker or amp should've been re-designed. These "rodies" make me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vincenzo View Post
    many many haters on Prosoundweb.com... many of these self proclaimed engineers from time to time would give examples of how the speaker or amp should've been re-designed. These "rodies" make me chuckle.
    I've seen the same thing over there. There are a few guys there that think Rane is "top shelf". That said, there are some really great guys with worlds of experience who's insight is worth finding. Trouble is, like here, those with tenure come 'round less often as the community grows - the repetitiveness of it all wears on them. Gear reviews can be very useful as it is from some real-life trials. As well, there are many equip makers who watch the place (QSC, KT, etc) and chime in on technical questions but carefully avoid the promote...

Recently, I've seen some evenhanded reviews of the SRX and MRX lines, without any flak. I think JBL can win them over if they give it a listen.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

MJC
    Some people think they need to buy $200k+ speakers, some people will only buy Electrostatics, or Ribbon speakers and some just have their heads up their , which is the only reason they buy the speakers they do, because they really can't hear them.

As for myself, I'll stay with JBL, they're are the only speaker company that has Greg Timbers and the top of the rock, Everest.

As the 1960 album cover stated, "50 Million Elvis fans can't be wrong"
    so goes, "300+ back orders for $60k/pr Everest can't be wrong"

I really truly like JBL as a brand... I love their history, and appreciate the attention to detail, the quality, the engineering, the art, and the science of JBL... but I judge every pair of speakers on it's own merits and there are many speakers that I'd rather listen to than many JBLs. Most JBL's do have more character or a stronger sonic signature than I like... I don't like boring lifeless speakers, but I don't like speakers that put a "sameness" over the top of all of my music.

That said the other day as I was getting filthy crawling into a dusty cabinet at a construction site rescuing a pair of JBLs that were going to be tossed out, my buddy said, "why do you want that old junk"... followed by, "I bet you wouldn't save them if they didn't have that JBL badge on them."

He was right... if they were many other brands of speakers I wouldn't have sucked in a lung full of dust, but I just couldn't see a pair of old friends getting sent to the dump.

FWIW: I'd get dusty for a pair of B+W 801s or Wilson's too.

Widget

"300+ back orders for $60k/pr Everest can't be wrong"[/quote]
    IS this true?

Scott.

Not sure if they are that far back ordered, but at present, they are having difficulty keeping up with demand... and having heard them, it isn't all that surprising... they are so much better than anything I have ever heard with the JBL badge on them... they are amazing.

Widget

...translation, as of that post they were behind by 105 pairs and expected to sell around 300 pairs of Everest IIs by the end of their first year of production... not bad for a $60K system.

Widget

Thread Information