Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: jbl haters

Besides, today's typical "high-end" type audiophile is an overly refined, decadent and delusional ninny who'd be hard pressed to tell the working end of a hammer.
    Tom your killing me here

I have lived with people bashing my JBL's since the 70's. Who cares what they think I like them and that's all that counts.

Rob

The review says it demagnetizes "game CD's" as well.

That's my lads Xmas present sorted then. I'm sure he'd be delghted I blew $1,800 on that instead of 25 new games for him

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The FORD , CHEVY and MOPAR guys all do that same thing.....
    It really has nothing to do with JBL or even speakers....it's just current human nature.
    Bingo!

I have B&W 801's that sound amazing. I have had Klipsch (K Horns) that I enjoyed just as much. FWIW I bought JBL drivers to replave the EV stuff that came with the Klipsch.

I also have a friend that literally has hundreds of thousands in planars, from small pairs to high end. Love them too.

The funny thing is that on the Klipsch forum they bash B&W and sometimes JBL, here everything but JBL and Altec gets bashed, on B&W, everything but B&W (although they are really technically challenged - afraid to change a capacitor - big mystery).

Point is that bench racing goes on everywhere. How 'bout then Bears?

I think B&W are awesome, though i would never openly admit it.

I heard some of their multi-driver towers and they exquisitely, i mean really really amazingly presented sketches of spain by miles davis. From that moment on, i have been chasing the dragon.

I think it has alot to do with the amp that was used: a bigass set of Classe monoblocks providing tons of juice.

I have also heard the CDM 1nt "entry level high end" monitors and though i was young and impressionable at the time, they sounded great. Now, i realize just how gawdarful they are.

I have typically underpowered my speakers (30 or less watts), and wonder if i have suffered as a result.

I have kicked the SET bug (for now), and realize now that I can get similar satisfaction from the likes of a Pass Labs Aleph 3/30/J which has their own take on how to make an amp.

You cant diss B&W for doing everything right -- High WAF, a snazzy yellow cone, nice fit finish and polish, fancy brocure showing fuzzy haired old brits in suspenders pensively working a microplane...

They are the Bose of Highend and will likely sit in that perch for a long time, as their well-heeled owners make them a standard. Who would come to your cocktail party if you didnt have a pair of 805s softly playing smooth jazz??

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    So please let me know what your thinking
    robin
    Hi, Robin...

Sorry, dood, but they are correct - completely correct. JBL sucks.

Please do not convince them otherwise. To do so would only overcrowd our already mussy forum, and drive up prices on our beloved JBL.

Let them maintain their ignorance - it's in all our interest!

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Heard all of this before...my take, is with lowphreak, it's human nature. I have several different systems/speakers. Dynaudio, and several JBL monitors, two B460 clones...they do different things better than each other. I could care about specs...I want flat from 50-16K or so, for sure, but....if something goes to 20hz, it means nothing to me...in my live sound rig that goes to 40hz at high effeciency, there really isn't much music down below 50, anyway, and believe me, they shake the walls, and also sound great with an acoustic guitar and vocal. What I will say, as a long time DIY builder, is I feel it is CRIMINAL what some of the high end is charging for speakers. I can understand a JBL statement system costing what it does...look at the drivers, craftmanship, and parts, and engineering involved....what always pissed me off, is the money for some of the wilson audio stuff. Like the little mini monitors. A couple hundred in drivers...and several thousands for the cabinet???. Last time I saw a response graph in a review, it was terrible...."done by ear" is what it seemed, but that is only part of the process.......I think it is arrogant what they charge. That's my human take on it. I have to add, some JBL's sound way better than others. Well, here we go with the L100 again...but like everything else, it does some things well...like for instance throw the voices in the room, instead of placing them 20 feet back like a Boston...but I prefer the flatter sound of a 4313, 4301, L96, L110, etc. And none of those sound really great until you update/replace the old crossover parts. I am not a home audio horn fan....used to be. But I would still rather have a 43XX anything than a B&W anything in my family room for movies/music. The biggest thing is the maturity and knowledge not to take any of this personally. There are many many great speakers, past and present. And, people that just bash JBL generally, fall in to a kind of snobbish/ignorant catagory, with very little real understanding of what makes a speaker work....and certainly a fraction of what the JBL engineers know.
    Also, remember, this is a JBL forum...we bash Bose....the Bose, Boston, B&W whatevers can do the same to us on their forums...it's all OK....

I used to use the obvious quality of JBL drivers as a selling tool. The other side would counter with what you bought them for was to listen to. You could have a stale mate there I suppose or the JBL could loose if you liked the way the other sounded better. Or you could not like the sound of the JBL quite as well but buy it for the quality of it's components but why would you buy the speaker with the lesser quality components if you were going to have to modify it to listen to it?

People who hated JBL used to say you were taking a speaker designed for PA and bringing in indoors not realizing they had been designed for home use first. I guess I they want to get into imaging the D130 and 375 and 175DLH were designed before stereo and imaging is sorta tuff in mono.

I never have understood why diy books always centered about university and such and almost never JBL. I suppose there are many possible answers.

well you guys are telling me tehe same things i already told them. They keep coming back with the fact that a speaker shouldnt have colour, taste or preference to some kind of music. They realy think a speaker should do nothing but reproduce. I dint think its possible to make that kind of speaker.
    They rave about wilsson puppys en speakers like that. Ive heard them and found them boring.
    I think im going to trow in the towel. Thanks for all your replies. realy appriciate it.

or maybe ill try one more time.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

As I have said before......

I have heard alot of different systems in my time. From pro to home. And when I find anything that sounds better than my JBL rig, I will buy it!
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

JBL bashing has been fashionable among some hard-core audiophiles for a long time. It's done for many reasons, to establish their credibility, to scorn the mainstream/big manufactuer, or the audiophile "I know better", "I am superior" mentality. "I replaced a capacitor in an amp, I know better than the designers."

A concept I see mentioned currently in high-end audiophile culture is that of a speaker or other component being "voiced" by its creator. That is, its sound is biased or adjusted in some way. While neutrality can be voiced, it is not the stated purpose of voicing. How do voicing and neutrality coexist?

Check the frequency response graphs of true high-end speakers, they are all over the place. Some are very flat but that is not common. Check the response curves of electrostatic or other planar type driver speakers, they are very. . . different. But that is dismissed as their nature, and is OK. Not to put those speakers down, but why in one case is unflat response acceptable and in another it is not? JBL was said to have the California sound and at one time it very well did, in some of it's products. That reputation has been difficult for JBL to leave behind with some audiophiles, simply because those audiophiles don't want to leave it behind!

A speaker with a flat frequency response guarantees nothing of the sort when it is in a listening room. The end result is a crap-shoot. That is why some reviewers are thrilled about the new digital room EQ products, there is finally a chance to have flat response!

Regarding 20 to 20kHz frequency response, how many speakers truly achieve this? When I say that, I mean achieve it at an SPL level where 20hz is audible. I always laugh when I see some high-end speaker with a 6.5 or 8 inch woofer claim that it reproduces 20hz. Sure, the cone moves at that frequency, but you need about 80db SPL at least for it to be audible at all. I always wonder why in reviews there aren't any measurements given about SPL levels, or comments about loudness levels. A few do, but they are the exception. I recall one high-end mag's review of a moderately priced JBL speaker, where the comment was how amazing the dynamics and undistorted volume levels were. That from an 8" 3-way bookshelf system!

I'm beginning to think that all the anti-JBL prejudice is pure spin in order to make others look good. They can compete with them only by dismissing them with some terminal affliction. That really is the ultimate compliment.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    I think im going to trow in the towel. Thanks for all your replies. realy appriciate it.

or maybe ill try one more time.
    Issue them a challenge: tell them to sit in a room and do an A/B/X blind test (if they have the cojones to do so) with any of their speakers and a similarly priced JBL. Until they do, they ought to STFU.

J.A.F.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Greyhound,

Remember, at least you're not part of a group for which this product is targeted:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/furutech5/demag.html ......It's an $1,800 vinyl LP demagnetizer of course

p.s. it does CD's and cables as well.....cooks a mean Flapjack too apparently!
    A fool and his money are soon parted....
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Issue them a challenge: tell them to sit in a room and do an A/B/X blind test (if they have the cojones to do so) with any of their speakers and a similarly priced JBL. Until they do, they ought to STFU.
    problem is that they throw speakers at me that cost about 15.000 euro's
    Thats about hmmm 16.000 dollar?
    JBl doesnt have speakers that cost that much.
    I think i will just start anoying them by saying there right and im wrong and asking for frogiveness.
    Pardon my english again.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Yes JBL DOES make product at that price point.

Project Array, comes to mind.

Tell them it's such a terrible "shame" that they can not afford K2S9800 or Everest II ($30,000)....

problem is that they throw speakers at me that cost about 15.000 euro's
    In the audiophile world, there is normally a large discrepancy between what a product "cost" and what it's actually "worth".

Thread Information