Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: jbl haters

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Since I do listen to a wide range of music, I find any speaker that has it's own character... say one that makes Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar searingly in your face and powerfully alive... also makes Andrés Segovia sound a bit searing... or one with a warm deep tone that makes thin '70s rock albums sound deep and rich, tends to make today's well recorded music sound boomy and bass heavy.
    Which is one explanation for why I have so many different kinds of JBLs.

I like the most neutral sound I can find with best imaging and most dynamic sound possible... unfortunately it doesn't come inexpensively... one of the best compromises I have heard is the JBL Everest DD66000.

In an effort to bring this back on topic... I'll submit that this new JBL will change the minds of many of the JBL haters who hear them.
    If they can get past the response graph...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I used to think that was the only option.

If they can get past the response graph...
    While at CES, Greg did mention that review samples were being requested by the audio mags... I know that most on this forum love to bash the audio press... but I imagine a bit of praise for the DD66000 will make the production backlog even deeper.

I doubt praise for the DD66000 will sell any Northridge systems... but it may help get a few dealers for the Project Array series and the K2 line.

Widget

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    I like the most neutral sound I can find with best imaging and most dynamic sound possible... unfortunately it doesn't come inexpensively... one of the best compromises I have heard is the JBL Everest DD66000.

In an effort to bring this back on topic... I'll submit that this new JBL will change the minds of many of the JBL haters who hear them.

Widget
    Besides price, getting them past the "JBL" logos on the boxes is the biggest hurdle I would say. It is a very tough bias to overcome. Even with the curmudgeonly, somewhat anti-audiophile attitude I've developed over the years, I still find myself occasionally looking at my speakers and asking, "...what the hell am I doing with...JBL's?" An 'eeek!' moment for sure.

However, cognitive dissonance can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis McCoy View Post
    I give up, who am I? I see that quite a few people here use pseudonyms. Is there something in what I said that has you curious?
    No, I just know everyone in Ohio, and I don't know you...........

Group A: Dynamics and impact are where its at, who cares about imaging and frequency response. Why can't those other guys get a clue and find out what real sound is?

Group B: Imaging and frequency response is where its at, who cares about dynamics and impact. Why can't those other guys get a clue and find out what real sound is?
    Hello Shane

You need speakers that can do it all the problem is the right balance. You really want speakers that are better than the sum of it's parts. I quess you could call it synergy where it all just compliments each other. No easy task. I agree as well lets talk about our common ground. We all like music.

Hello TDome

I could not agree more. Keeps things fresh and it's fun to change them out to get a new perspective every once in a while.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Keeps things fresh and it's fun to change them out to get a new perspective every once in a while.
    Yea - just wander down the street to the neighbor's Bose-a-rama, and one quickly becomes less jaded...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Yea - just wander down the street to the neighbor's Bose-a-rama, and one quickly becomes less jaded...
    Hey, I have a buddy in Long Beach who's a Bose Master and an excellent guitarist. He affirms that his Bose system is the closest to the real thing. It certainly gives me a new perspective everytime I go over there and he puts on some concert DVD.

I had him and his wife over for movie and a pizza night to watch Winged Migration, and she was pretty impressed with the JBL Performance Series and the big ol' Seleco CRT PJ. I grabbed Concert for George since they're both Harrison fans and played it in 5.1 surround.

Afterward, she said, "You need one of these, that was amazing" pointing to the entire system. He replied with a grin, "Yes, I do. JBL, huh?"

Hey, I have a buddy in Long Beach who's a Bose Master and an excellent guitarist. He affirms that his Bose system is the closest to the real thing.
    My manager at last job was a dufus. He went out and bought a Bose sat/sub system for his party room before he held his annual Xmas party.

He was really proud of it and kept talking about image and highs. The sats were mounted high on the walls, near the ceiling. They sounded dull to me.

I got up on a chair to check it out, at the party. Of course he had mounted them firing straight into the wall from about an inch away. I turned them to wards the room and everyone applauded. Wasn't great sound, but better.

Got laid off shortly after that..............
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    My manager at last job was a dufus. He went out and bought a Bose sat/sub system for his party room before he held his annual Xmas party.

He was really proud of it and kept talking about image and highs. The sats were mounted high on the walls, near the ceiling. They sounded dull to me.

I got up on a chair to check it out, at the party. Of course he had mounted them firing straight into the wall from about an inch away. I turned them to wards the room and everyone applauded. Wasn't great sound, but better.

Got laid off shortly after that..............

LOL, you described about 90% of the population in a nut shell., Easily satisfied, or totally ignorant. Some both . Which is why Bose is considered by many to be the Bees Knees in audio.. Gotta believe those commercials. I especially love the quotes, "sounds better than systems costing 10 times as much", "Sound that rivals that of more expensive 5 channel sattelite units". Some people believe it, after-all "Hearing is believing" Seems as if you are now a "believer" in Bose after hearing it ,

I have had about half a dozen people site down and really have a good listen to my 250Ti's.

These are the types who have no interest in hi-fi but they are always impressed when they hear the JBL's.

The conversation then normally goes like this....."and what make are they (as they try to read the little JBL badge)", then I say "JBL" and they generally say "Oh, have never heard of them...would they be as good as Bose then..."

The funniest one was my Uncle. He has zero interest in music but still mentioned Bose. Bose's marketing penetration in the print media is scary.

funny how populair bose is in your country.
    In europe bose is considerd even worse than jbl. But both brands stand for loud & noisy. so over here there not so much difference between the two.

Only the people who are REALLY interested in audio know that jbl also makes good speakers. But there arent a lot of shops that sell them.
    A lot of people still like the old 901's from bose and i have to admit i like em too. Not worthy of buying but they sound rich and big. A violin seems almost 2 meters long. so there not realistic but for electronic music and home theatre i guess they could do quit well.
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I have had about half a dozen people site down and really have a good listen to my 250Ti's.

These are the types who have no interest in hi-fi but they are always impressed when they hear the JBL's.
    I cud make the same statement "word for word" about my mains, but the comment I usually get from listeners is "What the heck ARE those"

(Maybe I'll post new pix when done dying the tents today. I am going from 70's brown to 90's black....really improves sound..)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

ya.seawolf97, post those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...but the comment I usually get from listeners is "What the heck ARE those"
    that's actually what they usually say first, I forgot about that.

Thread Information