Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cabinet.

New cabinet.

Since my new LSR 32 center channel speaker was delivered, I have not been able to hear it, simply due to lack of space to install it. I should have checked the dimensions before ordering it. I've been working on a solution though. So I thought I'd share my design for a new entertainment cabinet. My design is a direct ripoff from the Salamander Designs cabinets. Link
    These cabinets have always impressed me, but they are very expensive. I've never been able to afford one, especially not in the size that I'd need. The vertical supports are 1.5 inch square aluminum extrusions, from 8020. Link
    and
    eBay store link
    I've been fooling around with different designs in Visio, I like to think of this as the poor guy's substitute for autocad. Every time I changed something on the design the rack seemed to get bigger, until I topped out at 96 inches wide. I had to stop there so that I could still make the top and shelves from a ripped section of plywood. The cabinet will be going right in front of our fireplace, since that never gets used anyway. The height of the TV is set so that the back will extend into the fire-box, minimizing the depth needed. I've made the cabinet 20 inches deep.
    Comments are welcome, but it's too late for me to actually change much as I have already started cutting. I'll post a pic or two when there is more progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks kind of spindly without the doors, but there is more metal under the TV that is not illustrated here. Also, there will be a back panel to stiffen it up.

RIP 2009
    Nice, Don. I may try something similar somewhere down the line, when high-def prices come down to my desires/needs... 'Doesn't make much sense for me to do it now. Will those be smoked glass doors?

John

Nice work- I'm designing something myself (pencil sketches only so far), we'll see how it comes out.

I'm curious what you're doing for doors as well, especially since my cabinet will house the L/C/R speakers, sub and some heat-producing amplifiers. I may have to make it all pretty enough to leave it open, or find some sort of cane/mesh grille that I can use most times but remove when I'm looking for best sound/most ventilation.

Speaking of ventilation, if you are doing glass doors, are you prepping for ventilation for heat-producing components?

Good luck, thanks for sharing-

je

I built a similar construction a couple of years ago. We had to remove it, as it was to overwhelming in the room.

I do not know what kind of TV you are using, but remember that the power supply in the amps ruins the picture on a normal TV.

I'm thinking of using perforated metal for the center of the doors. I haven't found a source yet. I haden't sonsidered the effect of the amplifiers on the TV. If it causes a problem, I guess I'll have to re-arrange it with the amps up on top.

Perforated metal might vibrate and make noise, glass is a better choice I think and allows visuals. I have to doa built in one of these days but I have to remodel the bathroom first, and then I will be broke.

It's really too cold for wood finishing, the stain doesn't want to dry. As you can see, I'm using some oak veneer plywood with red stain. I didn't want to mess with trying to cut it, I bought it at the home improivement store and had them cut it up before bringing it home. They do a pretty good job with the big panel saw, but you have to ask them to flip the wood over between cuts, so as to keep the factory edge on one side of each shelf. I've applied a plain molding to hide the plywood edge.

Check this link for perforated and expanded metal.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Looks like a nice design so far.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    It's really too cold for wood finishing, the stain doesn't want to dry. As you can see, I'm using some oak veneer plywood with red stain. I didn't want to mess with trying to cut it, I bought it at the home improivement store and had them cut it up before bringing it home. They do a pretty good job with the big panel saw, but you have to ask them to flip the wood over between cuts, so as to keep the factory edge on one side of each shelf. I've applied a plain molding to hide the plywood edge.
    Ah, I remember the days of cold, sticky stain that wouldn't dry. When I lived in MI and worked as a painter/stainer/paperhanger while going to grad school, my bosses were mindless of weather conditions or temperature.

Many times we'd work in unheated, new construction at 25-30 degrees staining doors and trim. "The stain won't freeze," they'd say. No, it just turned to sludge. Days later it would still be sticky.

One infamous project had us doing exterior staining on rails and spindles after a major ice storm. "Just chip off the ice with your Hyde Tool, then stain it," was the helpful, professional instruction we got.

I was so glad when I graduated and could find a different job.

Your project looks much cleaner by comparison. Are you using 5/8 or 3/4 plywood?

It looks really nice. My concern would be ventilation the way all the gear is stacked. If you close off the gear on 3 sides and only have the backs open you may need a fan or 2. I know I did on mine. Can you do perferated shelves to help circulate the air around the components??

Rob

The side of the equipment end of the cabinet is going to be hard to see from inside the room. So one idea was that I'd just leave the side panels off over there. The idea of using perforated metal for the centers of the cabinet doors is swiped, along with most of the design, from Salamander. This material provides ventilation, and also allows remote controls to work with the door closed. They also use the perforated metal for the sides, they put a rubber molding around the edges and insert it in the slots of the extrusion.
    I'm currently looking at these guys as a source for the metal.
    http://www.reliablehardware.com/
    I had thought that I was buying 3/4 plywood, that's what I asked for, and that's how it was labeled. But it's actually 5/8. The original design uses 1 inch MDF, but that is not readily avaliable around here. I'm starting to think that I should have ordered the 1 inch MDF and waited. I was pretty dissapointed when the 3/4 molding didn't fit the edges of this plywood. I tried sanding off the extra 1/8 of molding, but I soon realized that it was going to take many hours to do that, as the molding is solid oak. I ended up using a flush cutting router bit to trim off the edge, and a round off bit to restore the profile. That was $30. for router bits that I hadn't planned on spending.

I've made some progress. It's coming along pretty well. This is just a mockup, I'll disassemble it again soon. I'm going to make something to tie all of the bottom legs together at the floor, then I'll start on the back and the front doors.

Looks like it's coming together! It's big.

Looking good, Don... how heavy is your TV/display?
    You may need to hide a support of some kind under it...

(edit: I just read your post above and see you've addressed that... keep us posted.)

Widget

Thread Information