Thread: DIY central based on L96 components ?

Question DIY central based on L96 components ?

Hi all,

I have no central speaker for the moment, and finding the same sound characteristic than my L96 (front) is very important, if my understanding of HC principles is correct. So, is it possible to use L96 medium and tweeter to build a central speaker ? I mean in this case, on which cabinet size should it be based on ? If I do not use the woofer, I presume the volume of the cabinet can be quite smaller than L96 ?

In top of that, as I have seen a lot of different design, can I use 2 mediums / 1 tweeter or 2 of each is the best way to get a correct central speaker ?

PS : I have never done any DIY project, this would be the very first one...

Thanks for your help,
    ToFKiTaFF!
    Electr:HK AVR2550,HK DVD 22, harmony 555
    Main : L96
    Sur : control one
    Sub : Studio lab

Why not another L96?

In my opinion, a center channel speaker should be able to produce the full audio spectrum, just like the left and right front speakers. In addition, the speaker should have a similar voice or timbre to the main speakers.

I suggest another full L96 as your center channel. If room is a constriant consider a single L15, L46 or L56 as a center channel.

Others might have better suggestions.

Good luck.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Obsolete
    Three of the same across the front is outstanding if you can fit them. I use five of the same for surround sound.

..thanks, but as you probably know, L96 is not waf compliant ! It was so difficult to bring my actual 2 in the living, plus 2 (control one) on the rear walls + the sub.. I do not think a third L96 will stay a long time in the living room... This is the reason why I wanted to build a small cabinet with no woofer.. I tought it was going to be consistent with the l96 if I use the same medium / tweeter models

Thanks for your answers anyway... I will try to make a deal with my wife ...
    Electr:HK AVR2550,HK DVD 22, harmony 555
    Main : L96
    Sur : control one
    Sub : Studio lab

Quote Originally Posted by tofkitaff View Post
    ..thanks, but as you probably know, L96 is not waf compliant ! It was so difficult to bring my actual 2 in the living, plus 2 (control one) on the rear walls + the sub.. I do not think a third L96 will stay a long time in the living room... This is the reason why I wanted to build a small cabinet with no woofer.. I tought it was going to be consistent with the l96 if I use the same medium / tweeter models

Thanks for your answers anyway... I will try to make a deal with my wife ...
    You could always replace the wife with one more accomodating of your hobby.

If size is a concern, seek one of the smaller speakers in the same "L" series (L15, L46 or L56); which are smaller with a similar "voice" and similar cosmetic qualities.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Thread Information