Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE10H variant with a Ti Tweeter?

Nightbrace

LE10H variant with a Ti Tweeter?

Did JBL ever release a 3-way speaker with the 044Ti or 035Ti(A) with a LE10H variant?

Obsolete
    No.

We had to build our own. LE10H based Ti and LE10H based XPL.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    No.

Didn't think so, thought one might have slipped by the radar, too bad they didn't. Those L96/4313's were stellar; the addtion of a Ti tweeter would have made them even better.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    Those L96/4313's were stellar; the addtion of a Ti tweeter would have made them even better.
    I think it did. LE10H, 104H (or 104H-x for those who like it better), 044Ti and tweaked N120Ti.

Nightbrace
    What are these speakers you speak of?

What are these speakers you speak of?
    I think Giskard is hinting about his homebrewed speakers that he affectionately dubbed as the "110Ti". He has given us hints, but never truely revealed all the details about the speaker (I may be incorrect). We do know that the units used a tweeked and charge coupled version of the 120Ti crossover, Giskard then used the LE10H/LE111H/LE10H-1 series woofers, 104H Midranges, and 044Ti tweeters.

I think a search might help us, too.

Maybe if we ask nicely, Giskard might provide us with some more helpful hints.
    Last edited by briang; 02-03-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Paying debt to Karma...

Nightbrace
    I thought he knew something that we all didn't.. I was assuming he was referring to one of his own creations. And it makes me wonder why JBL wouldn't have put out something like this with the success of the L96.

If there was a TI series version with this compliment I'd be a buyin', Maybe a "mini" 250Ti with vertically aligned transducers and angled cabinets and a portruding spot for the tweeter? Wouldn't that be something neat? What I disliked most about the 240Ti is that it was a typical square box, nothing too unique about it, but the wood veneer was exceptional..

With the success of the 250Ti I think people would be interested in such a speaker. You guys want me to come up with some cabinet plans maybe?? That I can do .. Unless someone disapproves... What size cabinet does the LE10H like? I like incorporating the idea of having a sealed chamber for a tighter bass response with less need for filtering.

Zilch, was this one of the drivers that could benefit from a sealed cabinet, I can't remember if you tested this or not in a AS cab?? I like the idea of calling it the 110Ti.... As briang suggested the LE10H-1/104H-2(3)/044Ti compliment would work well and depending upon the driver placement charge-coupled networks similair to the 120Ti may work out ok with some adjustments.

Mavbe even an 'el cheapo' verison with a 035Ti(A) tweeter instead? And even the option for 104H or LE5-6/8/10/12 mids?

Those darned 250Ti's are SO expensive, I think something like this would be a viable alternative, and maybe even a bit better than the 120Ti and closer to the 240 Ti with just a little less bass. Those LE10H's are phenomenal performers and I've always preferred them versus a round 10" and even a good majority of the 12"ers.

Obsolete
    They were my own creations.

The LE10H/LE10H-1/LE111H likes 1.0 cu ft sealed or 1.5 to 2.0 vented. It can work in vented boxes up to 3.0 cu ft but it gets easier to blow up in the larger volumes. The last five I built I simply used the 120Ti volume and tuned it lower than the stock 120Ti tuning (used L96 tuning frequency). I swapped out resistors until I got the 104H and 044Ti levels how I liked them.

it makes me wonder why JBL wouldn't have put out something like this with the success of the L96
    It didn't fit in the pricing structure at all. The twelve always sold better (men and their obsession with bigger is better). The L80t was viable because it was sufficiently smaller then the L100t. The 128H could work well enough in the 1.75 cu ft box that the LE10H also worked in so why have both? Pure economics. I always preferred the sound of the 3-inch coiled ten so it wasn't an issue to use it instead.

Nightbrace
    Wow such service, I guess I wouldn't be able to come up with something similiar to the configuration of the 250Ti with a 1.0 cab. Maybe I could draw up 2 versions and see what you guys think.

What about a 2.0 vented version similiar to the 250Ti and a smaller 1.0, but wouldn't I have to make it a 2-way with a cab this small? Or maybe figure out a way to mount the tweeter on top of the cab itself?

Are you okay with me proceeding with this Giskard, I don't want to be taking anyones idea. If your okay with me drawing up some plans, do you think its a worthwhile idea and perhaps even marketable?

Obsolete
    I'm perfectly fine with it, thanks for asking.

Here are some various old drawings.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    The 128H could work well enough in the 1.75 cu ft box that the LE10H also worked in so why have both? .
    I can understand WHY the 12" 128H was chosen in the Ti series, but
    why not just use a LE10H variant instead of the 127H-1 woofer when the L80T3 was introduced?

Obsolete
    I can understand WHY the 12" 128H was chosen in the Ti series, but
    why not just use a LE10H variant instead of the 127H-1 woofer when the L80T3 was introduced?
    Price points. The LE10 was more expensive to make. Same reason they didn't use it in the XPL160 or 4410.

Nightbrace
    It cost that much more to make versus the 127H-1? Thanks for the drawings, I was going to ask you for a copy of the files, but their pretty straight forward, seems as if you wanted to do something fancy too with the first drawing.

Obsolete
    You would be surprised at what $10 can mean in the scheme of things.

The first and second drawings are fairly recent, a PT800 style enclosure. The last drawing is age old dating back to the 4313 days. Merely transferred to different media over the years. I got AutoCAD 10 back in '89 or '90 and transferred alot of stuff from paper. They aren't terribly detailed since I knew what I was doing with them and didn't waste alot of time with drawing them all up. No one else was ever going to see them.

BTW, the PT800 enclosures are cake to build once you pick up this:

CMT 22-1/2 Degree Lock miter set

Nightbrace
    The LE10H/LE10H-1/LE111H woofers are all identical correct?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=10663

Can I assume that they are good up to 2500 Hz? What differences will there be in the frequency response with a sealed cab and can I assume that the rolloff with be the same?

Thread Information