Thread: Which amp to match JBL 4315?

JackyTran

Which amp to match JBL 4315?

Hi there,
    I've just bought a pair JBL 4315, quite surprised that this model is quite rare in any forum and web.

I'm cerently using a tube intergrated amp Nelson Audio Image 66i (KT66) with 40W power and feel that the sound is transperant, detailed, accurate...but to my ear, not sweet and warm enough.
    I'm planning to change the amp to a single-end 300B amp 15W or less, but not sure if with such low power can drive well the 4315.
    Document said sensitivity of 4315 is 89db only, though I feel this monitor would be more 90db.
    Any one out there have experience with 4315 pls help to advise.
    Your suggestion on amp matching is very appreciated.

Thank you.
    Jacky
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jacki,

I have used a 300B triode on my JBLs (4345 95 dba) and it was okay on acoustic program material but was left wanting on Pink Floyd.

Your 4315 being 6 db less sensitve would require 4 x the power for the same sound level being 60 watts so I would tend to avoid this option and stick with your current amp or larger if need be.

The JBLs are not noted for being of sweet/warm character and the 4 ways are more of clinical accuracy in some respects.

However I would suspect your pre amp or program source before the power amp.

My Pass Balanced Line Stage and Aleph 2 (Class A Mosfet) is very romantic with a hint of warmth so keep looking.

Ian

Can the 4315 be biamped easily? That would be a sweet combo with a stout SS amp for the bottom end!

IDF
    Jacky

You may want to mount these against a wall to get best bass response and lower the high frequency level until you achieve smoothest response on the ear.
    4315s are very fine speakers imo. I used to power them with a McIntosh 2100 (100 watts per side).

Audiobeer

If my memory serves me well, 4315s are not designed to be biamped.
    Last edited by IDF; 01-03-2004 at 03:22 AM.

JackyTran
    OK, Thanks for yr suggetions. I'm keen on more warm and weet sound so I'll try to look for a warm pre-amp, as much as possible.
    Could you suggest me some name?

I'm also quite surprised with wires inside the speaker: small.
    Wire from binding post to crossover and from crossover to 4 drivers are all quite small. So are other JBL monitors?

Is it necessary to replace these wire by other better quality wires?
    Last edited by JackyTran; 01-04-2004 at 12:35 AM.

JBL 4315s

I power mine with a McIntosh 2105 and the result is just amazing, epeciaqlly with a passive preamp. For Some reason West coast matched with east coast makes for an amazing pair.

Thats an interesting observation.

Its not easy

See the thread by Aussie Pete titled '4315b'. Read my words " guaranteed to spend years of wasted effort trying to get rid of the transistor sound'. I confess to only once trying tubes and the sound quality (and price) was very high. The sound was softer then a SS amp.

The 4315 are a curse and a blessing. I have used Dynaco (200W), ML-2 (25W), Marantz (75W), Soundcrafsman (250W) and found that increasing power made little difference. I then tried UK (NAD, AUDIOLAB) and Japanese amps (SANSUI) and other brands now foregotten. I found they all sound different (colouration) leaving me confused as to which was correct.

I did find that some SS amps had a better grip on the bass driver and this was usually apparent from the lowest volumes. I have settled on AMBER (75/200W) made here in Melbourne which are are small, silent, and reliable.

There is a new generation of power amp designs on the market and I look forward to hearing on your search for the holy grail.

4315s on tube

I tried my Welbone St70, a Sherwood 9910, 7100, Mac 2105 and a Yamaha M65 on these recently. I was very pleased the st70, Sherwood 9910 and Yamaha. I'd have to say the McIntosh 2105 and the st70 were my favorite. the st70 was warm and sweet with these speakers an had almost enough juice to drive them well. The 9910 sounded very nice too and had plenty of current to drive these very well. I'd have to say the 9910 def had more of the wooley vintage sound and a small bit of transisteritus. The Yamaha was the most clinical of the amps. If I was to be mastering or mixing a recording this would be the best setup for that. I always liked the Yamaha M series amps especially in class A. A good blend of warm yet accurate sound, Very underrated and a great bang for buck in my opinion. The Sherwood 7100 which sounds nice on my L56s and Large Advents did not do these speakers justice at all. I think these speaker can bring out the best and worse of any amplifier. I agree that these do best with plenty of power. JBL recommends 120 watts.

I have been listening to my 4315 for more than 2 years, they have been driven by Luxman SQ38U, MQ88U, Macintosh MC275, 300B unknown brand amp, Audio Note EL84 etc ... and turn out the best is Jadis JA30 version 1 ... interesting, no one has mention to pair the JBL with Jadis before .

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy751 View Post
    ... interesting, no one has mention to pair the JBL with Jadis before .
    Don't see a lot of $12,000 French amplifiers for audition where I live!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Don't see a lot of $12,000 French amplifiers for audition where I live!
    personally, for that much I'd look at NP amps, tho I'm still happy with the BGW's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm not against trying the latest and greatest but . . .

I've lived with the same woman since 1977—and have been married to her since 1981.
    I've had JBL speakers in my home since 1956, and still own that first one my Dad bought.
    I bought my first Crown amp in 1973, and still have it.
    I bought my first Soundcraftsmen Pre-Am/EQ in 1976, and still have it.
    I bought my first BMW May 14, 1971 and still drive and ride BMWs today.

At my age, it's still remarkably satisfying to stay with the one that brought me to the dance!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information