Thread: Question on JBL L150 Restore

Question on JBL L150 Restore

Hi everyone,
    First time posting here, but Ive been reading the forum for months in preparation for restoring a beautiful old pair of JBL L150's that I recently received from my stepfather.
    I am currently re-foaming the PR300's and and 128H drivers with one of Rick Cobbs wonderful kits (think you Heritage Forums for pointing me in his direction...)
    Anyways, the actual question I have is about the LE5-10 Mid-range driver. One of them has a rather large dent in the dust cap (see picture below).
    So I was wondering:
    1) Will this have any effect on the operation/sound of the driver?
    2) How much effect? (I realize that this is an objective kind of thing, but lets assume that Im somewhere between a highly discerning audiophile and a tone-deaf Bose owner )
    3) What would be my best option (repair vs. replacement) should I (we?) decide that this dent would unacceptably blemish an otherwise flawless and unparalleled piece of audio hardware?
    Thanks for your input!

Turns out it must have been overly tired last night when I was posting.
    I searched for a good 20 minutes trying to find a thread about a dented mid before posting my own, and came up with not much. Well after posting I went about reading some unrelated threads and found about 4 that dealt with pulling dents out of dust covers... D'oh. But thanks to those of you who PM'd me.

In light of the above, Ive decided to hijack my own thread.
    Ive just finished re-surrounding the 128H drivers and the passives, however I am missing one of the foam/rubber gaskets that goes around the outer edge of the basket on top of the surround. My stepdad didnt realize that it was different than the rest of the rotting surround collecting behind the grills... so in the trash it went.
    Anyways, does anyone know where or from who I could possibly purchase a replacement gasket?
    Last edited by uwbandman; 02-02-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: me spell gud

Quote Originally Posted by uwbandman View Post
    Anyways, does anyone know where or from who I could possibly purchase a replacement gasket?
    They are available from JBL... probably from both JBL Pro in Northridge as well as JBL Consumer in New York. You could also have any JBL authorized service center order the gasket segments for you... they are quite inexpensive.

Widget

E-bay has them also

A seller called the sigh shop makes repro L100 pegs and gaskets. The quality of the gaskets is very good,

Also check with Rick Cobb on dustcaps. I recently purchased new metal ones for my midranges and new paper ones for my woofers. These are very good quality as well.

PM with any questions

MB
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Rick Cobb

Does anyone have a link or email address for Rick Cobb.?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by registrar84 View Post
    Does anyone have a link or email address for Rick Cobb.?
    Thanks!
    Check your Private Mails (PMs)

I dunno about dustcaps but he just sold me a surround kit for a 2235 woofer - it arrived yesterday, I installed it last night and it is perfect!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Re-surrouding the 128H Drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by uwbandman View Post
    Turns out it must have been overly tired last night when I was posting.
    I searched for a good 20 minutes trying to find a thread about a dented mid before posting my own, and came up with not much. Well after posting I went about reading some unrelated threads and found about 4 that dealt with pulling dents out of dust covers... D'oh. But thanks to those of you who PM'd me.

In light of the above, Ive decided to hijack my own thread.
    Ive just finished re-surrounding the 128H drivers and the passives, however I am missing one of the foam/rubber gaskets that goes around the outer edge of the basket on top of the surround. My stepdad didnt realize that it was different than the rest of the rotting surround collecting behind the grills... so in the trash it went.
    Did you put the surrounds under or on top of the cone. I'm told it can be done either way. would you know if this is correct/ Thankyou.

They came originally under the cone.

JBL's Integrity...

I'm in the process of resurrouding the woofers and passive's on my L150's. The question I have is: can I put more stuffing in the speaker cabinet that already came with it? And can I change the wires that come off the crossover to the inside speaker terminals with a heavier size, or would these mods change the integrity of the speakers? Is there anything else I could do???? I also have a pair of L100's that need new surrounds. Thankyou again. Chazzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmatic View Post
    I also have a pair of L100's that need new surrounds. Thankyou again. Chazzzz.
    Chaz

Really? What happened to the current surrounds? The accordian-type surrounds virtually last forever, especially compared to the typical foam surrounds on a lot of drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmatic View Post
    The question I have is: can I put more stuffing in the speaker cabinet that already came with it? And can I change the wires that come off the crossover to the inside speaker terminals with a heavier size....
    Sure. But why?

I'd leave it alone....

...I also have a pair of L100's that need new surrounds.
    L100T or L100S, perhaps?

Thread Information