Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    A bit of a spanner in the works - I was told there are new DEQX products about to be launched. Until I find out more, I'm loathe to order up the old model. I should know more next week.
    I've talked with them about the new models... the only sonic change is they now offer a transformer based balanced out section as an upgrade over the active balanced outputs... this option is also available for existing models. The other changes are cosmetic and the option of buying a DEQX unit with built in digital amps... basically making it a very sophisticated tri-amped integrated amp!

Here is a list of the new models:

1) The PDC3 preamp processor. This has essentially the same internals as PDC2.6P but is 2U high with thick aluminum front panel and machined buttons etc. It also has blanked out cut-outs on the rear panel for the Dig out and the Bal out boards, so both can be installed together and can be upgraded in the field. We have a new all Jensen transformer balanced out board ($950) that is compatible with the existing one, so can also be used in PDC=2.6 models. List price of standard unit is US$4,450. Option prices for Bal out, dig out, and Earthworks mic are the same as for PDC-2.6 options.

2) The PDC3-300 is the same as above but with four internal Hypex UcD180'AD' version amps (for bi-amping) with 300W linear PSU that also powers the PDC board. Speakon 4-pin output connectors. All inputs, line outs etc are still available as per 'standard' PDC-2.6P. List price is US$5,950.

3) The PDC3-50 is same as '1' above but with internal 500W linear PSU (also powering PDC) whose DC output is provided by two 4-pin Neutric female connectors (mute, -55V, OV, +55V) to power two external bi-amp modules that can be mounted on the rear of the speaker boxes. Each module contains two UcD400 AD version amp modules and additional local low Z capacitors (8,800uF). List price is US$7,950.

Widget

All this analog vs digital stuff makes me laugh. If you are seriously debating this then you weren't counted when they did a census of prospective customers. You spent more on your cartridge that the people in their census spent on their CD deck and more than some of them spent on their entire entire playback system. If I'm wrong and your playing your vinyl on a BSR or VM changer with whatever cartridge came in it than you are wrong. Vinyl doesn't sound near as good as CD in that playback setup. For the vast majority of consumers, CD sounds so much better than vinyl ever did. Most people's best quality sound source was FM. If you are seriously in on the vinyl vs CD argument then you had a much better cartridge than the FM station. You had a better tone arm than the FM station and you have a better turntable than you or the owners of that station are going to turn the DJ loose on. Properly mixed CD sounds better than FM. CD is the best source that many people have ever heard. You do have the problem of a lot of CD's being mixed to sound good played on junk or FM stations but you had that before. Theoretically vinyl can reach beyond the concrete limits of CD and maybe some do. But only on the right equipment, and for how many playings? And what did the direct to disc recordings cost and how many were there by your favorite artist? So is LP better than CD? If you define it just right it sure is but__

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Most people's best quality sound source was FM.
    I thought it still was... Are you dissing me?

Thanks for the information Widget. The 300 looks interesting - with the Linear PSU and the ability to power four 1500AL's.

Overkill Audio over here modify the unit and you get multiple fully regulated independent Lithos power supplies (built by Tom Evans Audio Design), DSD data inputs and a USB input to enable direct computer connection.

Sadly you also get a decidely fantasy world price tag. I might have to have a word with Tom - his lithos stuff is quite remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I thought it still was... Are you dissing me?
    FM's being switched off over here soon. Replaced by 128kbps bitstream. that's progress for you.

Obsolete
    FM's being switched off over here soon. Replaced by 128kbps bitstream. that's progress for you.
    Yeah... whatever... I'm still reeling from the automobile replacing the horse. I do appreciate the heads up though.

Clip Clop Clip Clop Clip Clop Bang Bang!

PS. I trust you realise I was being ironic Giskard. Should I add a after every post or can you simply assume that being a Brit - I'm likely to be a tad dry?

-I'm likely to be a tad dry?
    BTW: We don't use those initials here...

Widget

Obsolete
    Clip Clop Clip Clop Clip Clop Bang Bang!

PS. I trust you realise I was being ironic Giskard. Should I add a after every post or can you simply assume that being a Brit - I'm likely to be a tad dry?
    I think we have a similar sense of humor. Mine used to run rampant here. Yanks couldn't handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    BTW: We don't use those initials here...
    Speaking of which, a pair of TADs showed up yesterday at the front door. I naturally refused the shipment.

An edge if you like. A very mild coarseness and electronic glare which I find present in all the Bryston electronics I have used. In circuit it definately added this in my system - even in bypass mode. I'm sure technically it measures superbly.
    Interesting. I appreciate the info. I haven't experienced that, but it could be I'm not experienced enough, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by X_X View Post
    Obviously, biamping with electronics gives you more full range control and flexibility, but it can ruin an otherwise perfect recording. ... a purist is probably better off sticking with full range passives.
    That is not my experience, and differs with the opinion of JBL's best engineers. But, whatever your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by X_X View Post
    Then there's the balancing of amps. Sometimes, the "glare" we hear is because one amp is operating out of spec because of the gain/impedance mismatches. My best results came when I used identical amps. That helps a bit.
    This is a good point - clearly, the two signals must be in balance.

As I've deployed various active crossovers I find that proper measurements help achieve proper gain structure and EQ adjustment - all are crucial.

Speaking of which, a pair of TADs showed up yesterday at the front door. I naturally refused the shipment.
    Dammit, Giskard!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Why? I would have taken the delivery! They go like hotcakes on eBay!
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Why? I would have taken the delivery! They go like hotcakes on eBay!
    I didn't consider that! Oops!
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    That is not my experience, and differs with the opinion of JBL's best engineers. But, whatever your preference.
    I'm still stuck in the era of building my own. Obviously the DEQX looks inviting. I'm interested to see how it works out with Project May.

I think we have a similar sense of humor.
    Excellent -are you from the midwest?

Ah those will be mine. No doubt lost in transit between two countries very jumpy about beryllium shipments. Could you pop them on a boat or something?

Ah those will be mine.

Actually, they are Widget's - I simply couldn't part with mine...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Interesting. I appreciate the info. I haven't experienced that, but it could be I'm not experienced enough, yet!
    I rather doubt that Bo! I'm sure it's just system matching and personal preferences at work. Or maybe my 10B was faulty - I've only ever used the one. Are you using a 10B at the moment?

Thread Information