Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Crossovers

Thanks Heather for clearing up a couple of the vinyl things. I remember that "The concert for Bangladesh" had so bad and thin vinyl that it looks like it had spent some hours in the sun.

A lot of other records was also very bad produced, not like the UHQR "Stone Cakes".

Hey thin vinyl wasn't bad in itself. Anyone with a good CBS Dynaflex pressing form the early '70's will almost be able to bend the disc in half - but the sound quality is sublime.

Heavy vinyl was no guaranteur of quality - whatever the audiophile labels would like us to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Hey thin vinyl wasn't bad in itself. Anyone with a good CBS Dynaflex pressing form the early '70's will almost be able to bend the disc in half - but the sound quality is sublime.

Heavy vinyl was no guaranteur of quality - whatever the audiophile labels would like us to believe.
    Yes, there was time when in virgin vinyl "thin was 'in'."

Not "High Quality" but they work

I use a trio of Furman Sound TX-3b's for my active x-overs.
    One band I worked with in the '70's used the Crown VFX-2A. They only went biamped in that setup.
    I split off at about 100-125 for the subs - that goes to the Crown PSA-2
    The other 2 run stereo 3-way for the e120's (DC300A), 2350/2482 (DC300A), and 2402 tweets (Marantz).
    Gets the job done and I get to play with crossover freqs and such whenever I want to.

The gear you guys are talking about is WAY pricier than my vintage gear setup.

But give it a shot - you'll be pleased! Just be sure to use as much power as you can buy! Clipping SUCKS!
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

Take the time to really dial in the DEQX, you should get some impressive results.

Words of wisdom here.

It took me several months to get my Deqx units tuned in properly. Not until I set the input and output gains (internally) on each Deqx did I become very satisfied with them. I assumed they were set to factory defaults......ASSumed.

I think you will be very impressed. Please keep us informed.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I assumed they were set to factory defaults......ASSumed.
    Well... you did buy them second hand.

Mine were set to the factory defaults, but I also needed to adjust them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well... you did buy them second hand.

Widget
    That is true....

Ken

A bit of a spanner in the works - I was told there are new DEQX products about to be launched. Until I find out more, I'm loathe to order up the old model. I should know more next week.

For analogue options, what's out there that's better than the Bryston 10b (which I thought sounded godawful)?
    Merlin...

Late to this - but, what was it you heard (or didn't... ) in the Bryston? I've tried a number of analogue and many digital units and find the Bryston to be pretty nice.

Aha! fighting talk...
    Just curious (these are not fighting words)...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Other crossovers

Mark Levinson made a high-end active crossover (the LNC-1 and 2). While I've never owned or even heard one, I suspect it's high quality because a lot of the Levinson gear is top shelf. I would certainly want to check the resistors in any older crossover, though.

I have heard many people say passive line level crossovers (or PLLXO) are the best. This will enable a person to bi/tri/quad amp to the heart's desire while never introding some of the glare associated will active ops. There are a lot of things to consider when building these- namely the impedences. I just can't wrap my head around it, or I'd try it!

Nathan.

LNC-2 on ebay now

Guy in WNY

Ashley XR-4001

on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashley-XR-4001-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Very cheap right now at $41.00!

Lunch time is over - back to work now!
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by Guy in WNY View Post
    on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashley-XR-4001-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Very cheap right now at $41.00!

Lunch time is over - back to work now!
    I have owned and used 3 Ashly's including the 4001. They are ok but not what I would call high end in terms of sound quality. They simply were not in the same league as a Deqx or Westlake HRX crossover. Mind you, at $300 used they should not be expected to out perform the above.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Merlin...

Late to this - but, what was it you heard (or didn't... ) in the Bryston? I've tried a number of analogue and many digital units and find the Bryston to be pretty nice.
    Hi Bo.

An edge if you like. A very mild coarseness and electronic glare which I find present in all the Bryston electronics I have used. In circuit it definately added this in my system - even in bypass mode. I'm sure technically it measures superbly.

Hi Bo.

An edge if you like. A very mild coarseness and electronic glare which I find present in all the Bryston electronics I have used. In circuit it definately added this in my system - even in bypass mode. I'm sure technically it measures superbly.
    I agree. It's hard to ignore the extra gain. It's a Catch22. Obviously, biamping with electronics gives you more full range control and flexibility, but it can ruin an otherwise perfect recording. If the equipment being used isn't up to the task (highest quality)- a purist is probably better off sticking with full range pasives. Some people like the extra bass no matter what the sonic costs. I used to be one of them...

Then there's the balancing of amps. Sometimes, the "glare" we hear is because one amp is operating out of spec because of the gain/impedence mismatches. My best results came when I used identical amps. That helps a bit.

Thread Information